• Lunch in the MDR

Votes: 45 31.9%

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Arrive late enough to just go to my room

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other? Please explain.

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
On our last cruise, we took DCL transportation from a Disney resort and got on board way later than I had planned. We usually eat lunch in the MDR but we were too late, so Cabanas it was. It was so late, we got our food and sat in the back of the ship outside. We there THE only ones sitting there and it was soooo nice! It was quiet and sunny and beautiful! The best Cabanas meal we ever had! So if you wait until closer to it closing, it will be less crazy for sure.

We head to GS to find out about tastings and book them, then to the room to drop off carry on bags, check that the excursion tickets are all correct (I have had to make corrections a couple of times) and correct anything necessary, then to the MDR for lunch. Pretty much the same routine every time.

I always try to book my arrival time so that we can have a sit down meal in the MDR right away. For the unfortunate times that we are too late, we go to Cabanas to get our food and then take it to the outside portion of Cove Cafe.

We generally get on early because we are platinum. We head to the pool deck. Find a table and then everyone goes off to find their food. I prefer the grill or the place with the salads and wraps. I know so many people like the ADR. I just couldn’t stand to be indoors. Even if it’s raining, we get under the roof and relax. Then we get swimsuits on, do the slides a couple times and hang out until rooms open.

Normally it's just the two of us and we go to the MDR. Honestly haven't tried Cabanas because of the write-ups about the crowds. The next cruise is in 2020 with a family of 9. The logistics seem overwhelming for Cabanas but we'll give it a try. Traveling with 7, 5, 4 yr olds. Any recommendations?

We used to go directly to Cabanas, but on our last cruise we opted for the MDR and I preferred that to the chaos that is Cabanas on embarkation day. Plus nobody in the MDR asked if I wanted to buy a water package, which was a nice bonus. Not that anyone is ever pushy about it, but even the polite "no thank you" starts to feel a bit repetitive after the fourth or fifth time we are asked.

I might still go to Cabanas if we were on the ship very early and ahead of the worst of the crowd, but otherwise I think it'll be the MDR from now on.

It depends. If I'm not coming from a WDW resort (as in either from MCO or in Miami), I'll go straight to Cabanas. The MDR is way too limited - especially with being gluten-free - and I don't want something that heavy for lunch.

My one time coming from WDW so far I boarded a couple of minutes before the cabins opened, so I just went there and then wandered. I'd had a big breakfast, so I really didn't bother getting anything to eat.

Which MDR is open for embarkation lunch on the Fantasy?

The last year or two it has been Animator's for most guests and Royal Court for concierge guests. For quite a few years it was Enchanted Garden. The current setup is much better IMO as guests in wheelchairs do not have to find an open elevator.

In 20 cruises, it has always been MDR for us. One time we were almost too late (DCL bus from WDW). If we had missed it, I think we would have gone straight to our cabins and ordered room service.

We did the concierge lounge and then concierge lunch and found both unbearably slow. I just wanted to eat quickly and then go relax in the room. Next cruise is non-concierge so will do probably do poolside QS if it’s nice on deck. We only like going to Cabanas on port days.

We are usually on board fairly early, so we head to Cabanas for lunch with no crowds. Sometimes we have even had to wait for Cabanas to open. ;) Then its to the adult pool bar for dessert, and to check out who the bartender is.

We head to Cabanas. We've always got on early so have no issue with crowds. We check in our luggage (incl our plane carry ons) at the port and just have a small backpack with the essentials with us. I don't like the MDR menu so will neve go there.

We usually split up. I go to check on everything (table assignment, last-minute requests at guests services or Palo) and my family heads to Cabanas, where I meet them later. We never had a problem with overcrowding, but we are always onboard as soon as the ship opens.

On our last couple cruises, we sailed Concierge and enjoyed thoroughly the new embarkation lunch in the MDR. On our next non-Concierge cruise, we might try the MDRs instead of Cabanas because of that,
New Embarkation lunch? What have they changed?

3/4 cruises we've headed to cabanas. 1/4 we did the MDR and it was soooo much calmer. After lunch we got to the kid clubs until rooms are ready.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but we've never had a terrible time finding a table in Cabanas. Sure, there have been a couple of times where we had to wait maybe five minutes for a table to open and be bussed, but generally not that much of a hassle.

After all the pent-up excitement, the hustle to PC, waiting in line for security, waiting in line for check-in, waiting in the terminal to board, etc., sitting down in Cabanas is when we feel like we can finally exhale and roll into cruise mode.

The kids really like going off to "forage" and find their usual stuff. I don't think it'd be the same doing a full-service MDR.

We've done Cabanas on both our previous cruises. The first time was an 11:15 PAT and finding a table was a challenge (but we did it). The second time was a 10:30 PAT and we had our pick of tables, practically opening the place.

This coming cruise, I was thinking of switching it up, mostly just because I am usually heavily loaded with carry on stuff. I'm organized about it, but it's hard to wheel that stuff on the rugs, so I was thinking the MDR might be a nice change. Then again, will I be done so quickly that I'll still be wheeling around my load o' stuff while waiting for 1:30 to roll around?

If you go straight to the MDR after boarding, then yes you will probably be done before 1:30pm. On our first cruise we had heard about the mad rush for the buffet and decided to do the MDR. It was back when it was still a buffet with servers, but it was glorious! We then waited in line to sign up for Princess meet n greets and Character breakfast(before online sign ups!) The line was about 30 minutes long, and we hated waiting, but it was that or go drag our carry-ons around and wait other places. We figured we might as well just get this "chore" done. It took the rest of our time before the room was done.

On another cruise we ran our "errands" (tasting sign ups etc) and one of us went ahead to get inline for the MDR lunch. It only took about 5 minutes to be seated and we mentioned the other half of our party would be there shortly, they were literally next-door signing up for a tasting. We were seated, and the server took a drink order and the current party of 1 mentioned the other member would be there shortly. They graciously let us wait. That wait turned into over 30 minutes because the line for tastings didn't move an inch due to one large group trying to decide what they wanted. The server was so kind and gracious through the entire event, and made fun jokes when the second member of our party showed up. Our entire cruise anytime this particular server saw one of us without the other anywhere on the ship they would stop and ask if we lost the other one in a line. It was great! That time we were done after our room was!

Sorry that was two really long stories about MDRs and how "long" they can take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!