Emotional/Binge Eating

ali2083

Mouseketeer
Does anyone struggle with this and how do you fight it? I do really well with healthy eating Monday-Friday, then the weekend rolls around and I can't seem to make healthy decisions. I find myself bored/lonely and overeating.

I go through times like that. Best thing is not to have stuff in the house so it isn't as tempting. Workout instead of eating. I am far from a person that can give great advice in this department but trying to think of things that help. Lately I also will buy a single size bag of chips IF I am going to have them for a snack because I can't go over board with them. You pay more based on size but good for portion control. The other day I was craving pizza something bad but didn't want to get a whole pizza because I know I won't just have one slice so I went and got a over priced single slice at the grocery store here (best pizza) and savoured every bite.

Sounds like you need to find things to fill your weekend so you are not bored or lonely and then don't want to eat. Treats are OK and if you restrict them to the weekends then that is OK so long as you still watch portions etc and don't truely binge.

This too is what I struggle with but as a PP stated, it's easier to handle if there's no junk food in the house. I also find that if I keep myself distracted, I focus less on food and eating. As sad as it is, I can't even watch food/cooking shows since they trigger a lot of my food cravings. I've lost 20 lbs since the New Year following these rules and it gets easier with time and is becoming habit.

I think you are singing the song that many of us know the chorus to really well! Weekends are HARD! I've been on this journey for over 8 years now and weekends are STILL hard! I'd love to "psycho-babble" you into making your own solution, but for now I'll just offer up a few suggestions......

make your weigh-in day MONDAYS.... that definitely helps keep things on track over the weekend!

find something GREAT to do over the weekends... preferably something ACTIVE.... meet a friend for a long walk, try a new bike trail, sign up for a new class (even something more sedentary like painting or photography will get you out of the house and away from the food!).

PLAN a splurge over the weekend..... ONE slice of your favorite pizza and a small portion of an indulgent ice cream (buy just the ONE serving, like a PP mentioned) can be done ON PLAN (well, most plans) and it feels super decadent. You'll have it to look forward to all week! Make it an EVENT, even if you are eating it alone!

Find a way to SPLURGE without it really costing you crazy calories! I can make myself a thin crust pizza on a flatbread for very few calories/SmartPoints. I only make it once in a while, so it feels like a TREAT! I take the extra time to make something nice to top it like caramelized onions or just a bit of homemade bbq chicken and enjoy it with a light cocktail (I'll happily admit I love light beer!)........3 SmartPoints for the pizza (low carb flatbread = 1 SP, 1 serving light shredded cheese = 2 SP, homemade sauce without sugar = 0 SP, caramelized onions = 0 SP) and 3 SmartPoint for the beer.... WINNER!

Don't keep the junk around (as someone else mentioned). My WW members created a saying....."say NO at the grocery store and you only have to say NO once!" If you bring the food home, every time you make a food decision it is there and you have to say NO over and over! Plus, if you live alone and are trying to AVOID potato chips, why have them there in the first place??

Don't get TOO hungry! It is HARD to make smart healthy choices when your belly is growling and you are getting "HANGRY"!

Hope all of this helps just a bit..................P

Thank you for the suggestions! I don't keep anything "bad" in the house, I live alone so that makes it easier. But that also makes it very easy to run out and grab something fast when I want. There are a lot of places less than five minutes away.

I recently downloaded some new books to occupy my time. I work out regularly and with the weather warming up I'm hoping to spend more time outside. I've also decided I'm going to track how many days I can go without going out to eat. I'll plan my one splurge meal as something I can get at the grocery store or make myself, hopefully that will limit the portions.

Oh yea, I sabotage myself on the weekends ! It's a struggle, the weekend mentality. Take each day as they come and I find the less stress and pressure I put on myself, the more successful I am

Hi! This is me! Complete binge eater and stress/emotional eater. Even if I'm stuffed, I still pack it in. Its seriously depressing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!