Emotional Support Dog

It is NOT a "trick" is the vest says "emotional support" and not "service animal". You find the truth disgusting?

an ESA IS NOT COVERED UNDER ADA and DOES NOT have the same protections. but some people like to bully their opinion that Fido is a SA and this covered by ADA. actually.. I should amend that to many. not all, but more than just a few bad apples here and there. so yes I do find it disgusting .

here's the thing. I just got a dog( purely pet) for Christmas. when I was researching the best no pull harness for him, I came upon a website that offered a vest with velcro patches. when I went to actually order.. my options were Service, Security and Support. I couldn't choose no tabs at all. I was furious Because these people make it beyond easy for scammers to abuse the system. yes, I can choose to buy from them and not actually attach the tabs, but that is irrelevant.

furthermore, not enough people have the balls to ask the question ADA allows: what task is this animal trained to do for you. because based on that answer any public or private business has the right to refuse access. and that doesn't even factor in the ones who lack the balls to confront the ill behaved so called 'SA' and demand they be removed.

Please tell me where I said, even once, that an ESA has the same rights as a service animal. The spewing of hatred of ESA is startling to me. You seem to be basing all of your opinion on the cheaters and not the people who need the animals. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater!

I (literally) don’t have a dog in this fight but I would think that this board would be more understanding about people’s real disabilities and needs. Guess not.

Sadly, most employees are poorly trained when it comes to laws regarding animals in restaurants - and while some states may allow ESA in public places, I don't see how they can be allowed in restaurants, since food is being served. There are strict rules that even service dogs have to follow in a restaurant, and if they don't the patron can be asked to take the dog out. My guess is the hotel you stayed at was clueless, or afraid of being sued or bashed on public media.
If you can believe it, we went to the restaurant and asked if we could eat in a secluded area. They said we could eat in the main part of the restaurant. I told the person the board of health wouldn't like it - She said... and get this.... "it's an emotional support dog, right?" She then proceeded to take us to a regular table.

ESA should not be in the parks - and the service vest trick is disgusting, IMO. I have a friend who takes her therapy dog on planes for free, as she claims he's her service dog. Except she's not disabled, and he just goes with her to visit clients. He's not even well trained. But she lies, bought him the vest, got a certificate online, etc.

Perhaps this country needs to get more strict about service animals, if people are going to lie and cheat to get an ESA in where they are not supposed to (not directed at the OP, of course, who is trying to find correct information)
I agree with you 100%. I do not support people calling pets service dogs OR emotional support animals. They are ruining it for those who truly need it.

a
furthermore, not enough people have the balls to ask the question ADA allows: what task is this animal trained to do for you. because based on that answer any public or private business has the right to refuse access. and that doesn't even factor in the ones who lack the balls to confront the ill behaved so called 'SA' and demand they be removed.
I am not sure about at Disney World, But I know at Disneyland security asks the questions every time (unless they already know the person and service animal) and they will remove misbehaving service animals if the handler isn't correcting the behavior, after all these are still dogs and will occasionally misbehave, but it is the handlers reaction to it that tells a lot about if it is a true service animal or not.

I have seen ESA at WDW, both in the parks and on resort grounds. I would say that you could play things by ear, just as you do at home. I might consider buying him a vest that says "emotional support" on it if your DH wouldn't mind because if you do bring him to an area with permission some busy body is still going to give you the side eye.

I simply said for the OP to play it by ear. If a restaurant/etc allows the ESA in, cool. If they don't, oh well.

I think what is upsetting to some is that putting a vest on the animal and showing up at the parks to "play it by ear" leans directly towards "trying to get away with it." It has been stated correctly here by numerous people that WDW does not intentionally allow ESAs into the parks. What do you suggest OP do with the animal if turned away at the gate? Waste an hour taking the dog back to the RV? It isn't the same as "play it by ear" at home where her DH might stay outside with the dog for 15 minutes while she runs into a store, or even an hour to have a meal (not that I think leaving the dog in a car is the best situation, either). It makes no sense to knowingly take something to the park that isn't allowed.

Please tell me where I said, even once, that an ESA has the same rights as a service animal. The spewing of hatred of ESA is startling to me. You seem to be basing all of your opinion on the cheaters and not the people who need the animals. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater!

I (literally) don’t have a dog in this fight but I would think that this board would be more understanding about people’s real disabilities and needs. Guess not.
I think part of the problem that many on this board have are the people who bring emotional support animals places that they shouldn't be and problems occur which then makes places have to enact polices that actually make it more difficult on legitimate service animals.

For example at the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, every time you bring a service animal, you now have to fill out a form that:
  • Asks if the animal is a service animal that is trained to do tasks to accommodate a disability that you have.
  • Asks what task(s) the animal is trained to do for you.
  • Informs you of sensitive areas that they prefer the dog does not go and areas not to linger in
  • Informs you of sensitive areas that the dog absolutely cannot go
  • By signing you agree to the sensitive areas and that if it appears the dog is causing stress to the animals that you will remove him/her from the situation immediately and that you won't do anything that would put the animals, plants or your service dog in danger.
This all takes extra time, the sensitive areas make sense because they can change based on the animal's needs, but the main reason this form was created was because there were several people who brought small "service animals" and would hold them over the enclosures to get the animals to come closer.

Additionally they make sure that the dog is not an emotional support animal, as they are not allowed in the zoo and they are very strict about it.

Emotional support animals are not allowed in restaurants (aside from "dog friendly patios" or in states where any dog is allowed in a restaurant, usually this one requires paperwork that they have passed certain obedience training, but there are a couple of states that have started this and the restaurant can choose to allow dogs or not), theme parks, zoos, aquariums, markets or any other place where dogs are prohibited, only service animals are allowed in these cases and suggesting to even attempt otherwise is where there is a problem.

OP - I apologize my initial posts were blunt. I was on my phone and it's harder for me to respond.

You don't indicate what your DH's needs are or why his doctor prescribed the dog for him. You don't need to answer me as it doesn't really matter to this discussion, other than to say unfortunately either his doctor doesn't realize - or didn't explain to you - the difference between an emotional support animal and a service animal. While I agree that some businesses are open to allowing ESAs or even pets, that is still relatively few locations. And along with that, too many business owners (or their employees) are not aware of the difference, thus giving incorrect answers. To arrive at a business with an ESA and ask if it can be accommodated really indicates that you expect the dog to be allowed, which in my opinion is expecting a lot. As you did here, I suggest that you contact businesses in advance. Just showing up puts the employee/business owner in an awkward position of turning away a customer - and they have no idea how that customer might react, it could blow up into a big scene or even carry over to social media. I'm not saying you would do that, but it is often why businesses don't ask the allowed questions another posted listed. Now, maybe your home town has numerous businesses that do allow an ESA, but I would consider that an exception rather than the norm.

Enjoy your vacation!

I think what is upsetting to some is that putting a vest on the animal and showing up at the parks to "play it by ear" leans directly towards "trying to get away with it." It has been stated correctly here by numerous people that WDW does not intentionally allow ESAs into the parks. What do you suggest OP do with the animal if turned away at the gate? Waste an hour taking the dog back to the RV? It isn't the same as "play it by ear" at home where her DH might stay outside with the dog for 15 minutes while she runs into a store, or even an hour to have a meal (not that I think leaving the dog in a car is the best situation, either). It makes no sense to knowingly take something to the park that isn't allowed.
I don't know what you are reading but the OP said IN BIG BOLD LETTERS the dog would not be taken into the parks, nor did I advocate that she take the dog into the parks.

OP - I apologize my initial posts were blunt. I was on my phone and it's harder for me to respond.

You don't indicate what your DH's needs are or why his doctor prescribed the dog for him. You don't need to answer me as it doesn't really matter to this discussion, other than to say unfortunately either his doctor doesn't realize - or didn't explain to you - the difference between an emotional support animal and a service animal. While I agree that some businesses are open to allowing ESAs or even pets, that is still relatively few locations. And along with that, too many business owners (or their employees) are not aware of the difference, thus giving incorrect answers. To arrive at a business with an ESA and ask if it can be accommodated really indicates that you expect the dog to be allowed, which in my opinion is expecting a lot. As you did here, I suggest that you contact businesses in advance. Just showing up puts the employee/business owner in an awkward position of turning away a customer - and they have no idea how that customer might react, it could blow up into a big scene or even carry over to social media. I'm not saying you would do that, but it is often why businesses don't ask the allowed questions another posted listed. Now, maybe your home town has numerous businesses that do allow an ESA, but I would consider that an exception rather than the norm.

Enjoy your vacation!
Not a problem and an apology isn't necessary.

Yes, his long time psychiatrist explained the difference. We also researched it ourselves. We are not trying to get away with anything and only wanted to know where we could go. I will tell you we brought him to Disney Springs in his sling and the security guards actually came up to pet him. We did not put him down until we were in a secluded location on a bench, where we had lunch from the Earl of Sandwich. We were no where near the restaurant and didn't even ask.

We have no intention of attempting to take him in a park. Ever.

Perhaps the strict pet rules are for dogs walking around who could also make a mess. We probably were not challenged because we were carrying him. We have also seen people with their dogs in carriages there.

Question for OP-- if you do not intend to take the dog into the parks, where will you be keeping him while you are visiting the parks? Depending on the time of year, you shouldn't leave the dog unattended in a hot RV. I believe there is a pet hotel nearby though.

Question for OP-- if you do not intend to take the dog into the parks, where will you be keeping him while you are visiting the parks? Depending on the time of year, you shouldn't leave the dog unattended in a hot RV. I believe there is a pet hotel nearby though.
In the Air conditioned RV along with a camera that has a temperature monitor to alert us if the power goes off. We are going in March.

We don’t plan on much park time. We’ve been there more times than we can count, and haven’t been spending more than a few hours in the parks anyway. We’re going there to relax and if we want to do something, there’s a ton of things to do on the property and nearby.

In the Air conditioned RV along with a camera that has a temperature monitor to alert us if the power goes off. We are going in March.

We don’t plan on much park time. We’ve been there more times than we can count, and haven’t been spending more than a few hours in the parks anyway. We’re going there to relax and if we want to do something, there’s a ton of things to do on the property and nearby.

actually that may not be allowed. IIRC no animal can be left alone while the humans are out and about. double check to make sure the campsite allows that.

actually that may not be allowed. IIRC no animal can be left alone while the humans are out and about. double check to make sure the campsite allows that.
FW does allow it. I got the camera recommendation in the camping forum from people who go there all the time. That’s why I even got the camera. It was they who suggested the temperature monitor.

OP, see https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/faq/rooms-packages/hotels-pet-friendly/ :

Other than service animals, dogs are not permitted in theme parks, water parks or common areas such as restaurants, pools and recreational spaces.

END QUOTE

Also see https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/faq/rooms-packages/parks-disney-springs/

Q.

Will I be able to bring my pet dogs to the theme parks or to Disney Springs?

A.

No. Only service animals are allowed in the theme parks and at Disney Springs.

END QUOTE

We have one too, we ordered a vest it has made a difference on how people treat my dh. It certainly stopped the looks. We always show her letter at check in so they cant charge us any pet fees.
You can get the vest from the people who registered your dog. But ours is from ebay it was cheaper.
People really dont understand and I really dont care I know it helps

We have one too, we ordered a vest it has made a difference on how people treat my dh. It certainly stopped the looks. We always show her letter at check in so they cant charge us any pet fees.
You can get the vest from the people who registered your dog. But ours is from ebay it was cheaper.
People really dont understand and I really dont care I know it helps

Emotional support animal or service dog?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts