Entering MK in the evening

ArielSparrow

wanderin' free
Two questions -
  1. How long does it generally take to get from the TTC to Magic Kingdom in the evening? Assuming moderate crowds (6/10) on a September Saturday.
  2. If you take a taxi/rideshare, can they drop you off any closer or are you still taking the tram or whatever you take when parking?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Just go to Ticket Center (that's where uber drops too) - if after labor day then your probably getting on first train express in …. I'd give it 15 minutes car to Magic Kingdom gate.

Before labor day when busier you could have to wait on a couple trains - so then I would say 25 minutes max.

I have been in mid-summer mid-day where train line is backed up like 20 minutes and then I look for if there is a ferry leaving.

Only way possibly quicker to avoid crowd would be having uber take you to Grand Floridian and catching the resort train there (it shouldn't have line) - with the next stop Magic Kingdom. I would still stick with just going to the ticket center.

Your options are to get dropped off at the TTC and take the ferry or monorail or get dropped off at the Contempory and walk to the MK about a 15 minute walk at most.

If using Uber, have them drop you at the Contemporary and you can cut out the whole T&TC mess. It's an easy, 5-10 minute walk to MK.

If parking a car, we've found that even on super busy days, we rarely wait on a tram or monorail later in the day + security and ticket lines are short/non-existent. We arrived at 4:30pm today; parking tram was waiting on us, no line at security, monorail was waiting on us, no line at ticket gates. From the time we drove through the gate, it was 15 minutes from parking the car to standing on Main St.

If using Uber, have them drop you at the Contemporary and you can cut out the whole T&TC mess. It's an easy, 5-10 minute walk to MK.

I have read here that Contemporary no longer lets Uber/Lyft drivers drop off there unless the passengers have an ADR there or are resort guests.

Just go to Ticket Center (that's where uber drops too) - if after labor day then your probably getting on first train express in …. I'd give it 15 minutes car to Magic Kingdom gate.

Before labor day when busier you could have to wait on a couple trains - so then I would say 25 minutes max.

I have been in mid-summer mid-day where train line is backed up like 20 minutes and then I look for if there is a ferry leaving.

Only way possibly quicker to avoid crowd would be having uber take you to Grand Floridian and catching the resort train there (it shouldn't have line) - with the next stop Magic Kingdom. I would still stick with just going to the ticket center.
You are working on saving seconds, nothing significant. The Monorails and the ferries run at approximately the same intervals no matter what time of day it is. Without that it would be a bigger burden then necessary. I have never noticed and difference at all, be it opening or anytime in between. There is sometimes a delay of around 5 or so minutes at closing, particularly with the Monorails, but, the ferries are able to stay pretty much on schedule and can hold a lot more people then the monorails and also load quicker.

A person would spend more time transferring or walking then it is worth. Seriously.

Last edited:

If parking a car, we've found that even on super busy days, we rarely wait on a tram or monorail later in the day + security and ticket lines are short/non-existent. We arrived at 4:30pm today; parking tram was waiting on us, no line at security, monorail was waiting on us, no line at ticket gates. From the time we drove through the gate, it was 15 minutes from parking the car to standing on Main St.
We had the same experience shooting for a 4:15 arrival at MK. I made us leave early thinking it would be backed up at security etc but it was a breeze. Honestly the other days we roped dropped parks and security was a breeze then as well.

You are working on saving seconds, nothing significant. The Monorails and the ferries run at approximately the same intervals no matter what time of day it is. Without that it would be a bigger burden then necessary. I have never noticed and difference at all, be it opening or anytime in between. There is sometimes a delay of around 5 or so minutes at closing, particularly with the Monorails, but, the ferries are able to stay pretty much on schedule and can hold a lot more people then the monorails and also load quicker.

A person would spend more time transferring or walking then it is worth. Seriously.

Working on saving seconds versus what? I'm not sure what exactly you are suggesting. I didn't give all the context, but I'm (1) trying to decide between renting a car and taking a Lyft, and (2) whether (no matter which of the two I choose), it's worth it to try to squeeze in MK after Kennedy (it's already an hour drive and MK isn't open late but if I can get in one hour, it's good).

Working on saving seconds versus what? I'm not sure what exactly you are suggesting. I didn't give all the context, but I'm (1) trying to decide between renting a car and taking a Lyft, and (2) whether (no matter which of the two I choose), it's worth it to try to squeeze in MK after Kennedy (it's already an hour drive and MK isn't open late but if I can get in one hour, it's good).
Sorry, I forgot to quote. (I fixed that) I wasn't responding to you directly, just to the suggestion. I don't know what the rules are as far as Lyft are concerned so I don't know where you can be left off. If you can be dropped off at the Contemporary then you might save a few minutes, but, the other option (Grand Floridian) might be quicker or it might be just as long by the time you got to the transportation. If you want to be dropped off I know you can do that at TTC and I feel that the difference in doing that with two options of either the monorail express or the ferry is going to be just as quick as doing all the things that you would have to do to get to MK from the other places.

I have never had any delays in the late afternoon or evening getting to MK, so I cannot give you any horror stories about delays. I've never experienced any and since I stay offsite I usually do leave late afternoon, take a break, have dinner and then return, so that I have done that quite often.

This is the first mention of Kennedy in this thread and all that would depend on what time you returned from, I'm assuming, Kennedy Space Ctr. That is about 70 miles away and traffic can be overwhelming that time of day coming west to Orlando and I-4.

This is the first mention of Kennedy in this thread and all that would depend on what time you returned from, I'm assuming, Kennedy Space Ctr. That is about 70 miles away and traffic can be overwhelming that time of day coming west to Orlando and I-4.

Yeah I didn't want to complicate the question by including that. It's the same drive back to Kissimmee, so I was just inquiring about once I got to WDW. But it's a good tip to keep traffic in mind, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter