Entertaining a Nine Year Old

TinkFan74

DIS Veteran
I am taking my adult daughter, brother, toddler niece and 9yo niece for an 11 night stay (7 at Poly, 4 at AKV), but due to my daughter's and brother's work schedule they will arrive three days after us. It will be just my 9 year old niece and I for three days, 2 are planned park days, but we also have a day with nothing scheduled, any ideas on how I can entertain her? I am hoping for something inexpensive as my dog is about to have surgery, daughter's tuition is due for the summer semester, and I have a solo trip to Tokyo booked in June, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Our girls love a resort day and the Poly pool. You could go to FW and try your luck at canoeing and biking something else our kids love.(Both are inexpensive)You could also go to Disney Springs and window shop and enjoy a special treat. What a nice thing to do for your family, enjoy.

I think the pool will be sufficient! DS10 loves the pool at poly, then do the evening activities ( movie, fireworks) at the resort. You can go the day without spending on activities just by doing the feature pool/ children's splash pad and quiet pool. Obviously time will be taken up by breakfast/ lunch/ dinner as well. Chat, sit in a swing on the beach, walk around the resort. Before DD1 was born DS and I loved our relaxing pool/ resort days! Have a great time

After the go go, go of 2 park days, I am sure your niece will enjoy a quieter day enjoying the activities at the Poly. Pool, pool activities, take a monorail tour, take a boat to Fort Wilderness, etc.

I would suggest a sleep in morning, Tonga Toast at the Poly quick service for breakfast, then a chilled out afternoon in the pool/monorail tour. Then head to Fort Wilderness for the free campfire/ singalong/movie under the stars. Then head to Disney Springs for the fun dance parties they have there (my DD adored those dance parties, especially at that age!)

Minigolf is also a fun idea :)

I like the idea of a Poly pool day with Capt Cooks quick service meals and then heading to Ft Wilderness for the campfire. Depending on when that’s over go back to the Poly to grab a Dole whip and watch the MK fireworks from the beach.

ETA: you could also walk or monorail over to the GF for a meal. Their QS Gasparillas is very nice. My DD9 likes wandering around GF because it’s a little fancy:D

Last edited:

One of the cheapest ways to fill an extra day is to add another Park day. After 5 or 6 days it cost so little to add another day. Cheaper than a movie or bowling, gives you 3 extra FP and more park time!

Pool is probably the winner but does she like animals? You can easily spend a lot of hours at Animal Kingdom Lodge looking at all the animals on the savanna.

One of the cheapest ways to fill an extra day is to add another Park day. After 5 or 6 days it cost so little to add another day. Cheaper than a movie or bowling, gives you 3 extra FP and more park time!

Definitely worth pricing it out. I am always up for more park days!

I agree that a day sleeping in, eating, playing at the pool and poolside activities would be sufficient!!! My 9year kids couldn’t wait for pool time and after 2 days in the parks some downtime will be welcome for you both!!

Will you have the mini-golf vouchers that come with a package? If so, you could head over to the Boardwalk in the evening, mini-golf at Fantasia and take a stroll on the Boardwalk. In the evenings, they have jugglers and magicians who perform. They have some good QS there and Ample Hills ice cream! You can uber/lyft over or, if you want to save money, bus to DHS and walk or boat over to the Boardwalk.

I have a child that age, and I teach children a bit older. I will tell you--it doesn't have to cost much to entertain them. Often, they just like to free-play or have your attention.
If she enjoys swimming and the day is nice enough, that will likely fill much of the day right there. My kids love swimming, and I get bored with it much sooner than they do.
If she enjoys art, the Art of Animation has free art classes where they teach them to draw some of their cartoons. We stayed at AoA on our last trip, and just walking the grounds was fun for our kids.
Many people enjoy visiting the Animal Kingdom Lodge to look at the animals, and that is free. Many have mentioned the camp fire sing-along at Fort Wilderness Campground. The campfire and sing-along are free, but you would either need to bring your own s'mores ingredients and sticks, or you would need to buy a s'mores kit when you get there. I can't remember the price, but I don't think it is much.

I would be afraid that Disney Springs might open up your wallet if you aren't careful. lol I would reserve DS in case it rains and you need to take her bowling or to a movie. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique might not be much more than that. I think I paid $60ish + tip last time we went. We did not buy a princess dress there, however. If it is something that you would spring for, I would ask her dad to send her with a princess dress, and she can change into it there. (They are very used to people bringing in their own dresses, and they have special dressing rooms at the Disney Springs location with the Fairy Godmother that talks to her in the mirror.)

Some children (and teens and adults) enjoy riding the monorail. If she likes boats, you can also take a monorail from the Poly to the Contemporary, then hop a boat and ride it around. It picks up/drops off people at the Contemporary, Fort Wilderness Campground, Wilderness Lodge, and the Magic Kingdom.

Many have mentioned the beach (just stay away from the water) and the fireworks. And a Dole whip from the Poly. The outdoor movies at the pool.

Fort Wilderness Campground hosts a hayride. I think it is somewhere in the neighborhood of $8 per person. Not positive on that.

If you don't mind bringing an Uno or SkipBo game, kids that age often enjoy playing games like that. She might enjoy sitting in the Poly lobby playing games.

My 9 year old LOVED the activities at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Between the animals and the pool and the activities you could easily spend an entire happy day there. :)

I’d say a 9 year old would be happy with pretty much anything in WDW. Pool time, mini golf, DS, checking out animals at AKL are all cheap and fun.

Everyone’s suggestions are great! I have an almost 9 year old daughter and she would enjoy everything listed here. Most Disney days are very scheduled, so letting her “plan” a day would be awesome. My daughter is easily overwhelmed by too many choices, so I would give her just a few things to choose from and go from there.

At that age my DGD would have loved a pool day. I would plan a day that we slept in, had a nice breakfast and then spent a few hours at the pool. Once that got old, we would head back to the room, relax, shower and then I think i would take her to AKL to have dinner at Mara and enjoy the animals there. Or perhaps to the Boardwalk for dinner and then ice cream.

It never hurts to add a park day onto your tickets. At that point additional days are very inexpensive, so you could end the evening in a park if you all were bored.

Are there any resorts she would like to look at? Resort hopping can be fun. AOA or some of the others have fun themes. Grab a snack at QS. Looks like you are staying Deluxe, but a 9 year old might enjoy looking at some over the top themes at the Values. POR and POFQ have a boat you can take over to DS, takes you by the Treehouse villas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter