Epass or SunPass is one better

EZ-pass is only good in the greater Orlando area. If you are driving in from farther away you may encounter toll roads that do not accept the EZ-Pass.
To clarify: E-ZPass is accepted on some roads in the Orlando area, not all. One may encounter toll roads that do not accept E-ZPass while driving within the Orlando area, unless routes where it is accepted are carefully planned out in advance.

It was announced yesterday (7/6/2020), that FTE (Florida's Turnpike Enterprise) which operates SunPass will join the E-ZPass Group. This would bring E-ZPass compatibility to the remaining toll roads in FL.

Nicola Liquori, CEO of Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise: “Interoperability with E-ZPass has been a longstanding goal, and now it is a reality. By the end of the year, millions of E-ZPass customers will enjoy the benefits of the SunPass system on 764 miles of roadway from the Panhandle to the Keys. This effort aligns with our goals to improve mobility by promoting electronic tolling and, more importantly, to enhance customer service by increasing payment options.”

The State Road and Tollway Authority of Georgia (SRTA) is also joining the E-ZPass network.

http://floridasturnpike.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/07062020-FTE-joins-EZPass.pdf

It was announced yesterday (7/6/2020), that FTE (Florida's Turnpike Enterprise) which operates SunPass will join the E-ZPass Group. This would bring E-ZPass compatibility to the remaining toll roads in FL.

The State Road and Tollway Authority of Georgia (SRTA) is also joining the E-ZPass network.

http://floridasturnpike.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/07062020-FTE-joins-EZPass.pdf
Finally!

Just to reemphasize, it won't be effective until sometime by the end of the year. For now, E-PASS Uni is the only transponder recognized throughout FL, GA, and all of the E-Zpass system.

I don't know what SunPass will charge for an interoperable transponder, but at this time E-PASS Uni is $5 less upfront than the portable SunPass.

Finally!

Just to reemphasize, it won't be effective until sometime by the end of the year. For now, E-PASS Uni is the only transponder recognized throughout FL, GA, and all of the E-Zpass system.

I don't know what SunPass will charge for an interoperable transponder, but at this time E-PASS Uni is $5 less upfront than the portable SunPass.
Well, here it is the end of the year, and once again SunPass has not made good on their promise.

Well, here it is the end of the year, and once again SunPass has not made good on their promise.
Geez, we live in No VA and have had ez pass for years so we were glad to hear that sunpass was going to join. Hopefully before our trip in Dec 2021. I mean, how hard is it? It's software.

the transponder technology is done ..... according to an article a while back the problem is the accounting ... virtually every state's accounting system is totally different so getting all the money passed around between all the different players becomes a problem . . .

I ordered the free sticker, but it hasn't arrived yet- and with tomorrow being New Year's and us leaving on Sunday, I'm not terribly optimistic that it's going to arrive on Saturday. Boo! I will bring my E-Z Pass, start scrounging up quarters, and hope for the best! Our route is MCO-AKL, then AKL to Ft. Myers Beach, then back to WDW (SSR). We might go out to Cocoa Beach while at SSR, and of course end back up at MCO. Hopefully we won't end up using plate pass, although at least with Hertz we are only charged $5 each use day and not every rental day!

Any update on if EZ Pass is now accepted throughout Florida? We are driving down from NY in March. My recollection from prior trips (a few years back) was EZ pass all the way down until FLA than cash but we would rather go cashless for obvious reasons.

Any update on if EZ Pass is now accepted throughout Florida? We are driving down from NY in March. My recollection from prior trips (a few years back) was EZ pass all the way down until FLA than cash but we would rather go cashless for obvious reasons.

Here is the website for one of the two tollroad authorities in Orlando, they have a map on here which shows where E-Zpass is accepted. https://www.cfxway.com/e-zpass/

the transponder technology is done ..... according to an article a while back the problem is the accounting ... virtually every state's accounting system is totally different so getting all the money passed around between all the different players becomes a problem . . .

Last summer I drove up to Maine from MA using my EZPass. I went through one toll in MA, the NH toll on I-95, then the ME Turnpike tolls on a Friday. 9 days later I returned on the same route. About a month later I get a bill for the northbound NH toll saying I didn't pay it with a pic of my plate. I look at my Mass EZPass statement online and it shows the Mass tolls up and back as well as the ME tolls. The NH tolls were not on there. I called NH and paid it over the phone and asked if I had another one I had not received yet, which I did, and I was able to pay that one too. I then called MA EZPass as I am supposed to have auto-replenish. He looks at my account and sees that my credit card info was there. Apparently they had a glitch when I updated my account with the new expiration date on my credit card that even though he could see it it didn't take effect. I ended up having a negative balance and owed MA a couple bucks but no extra fee. I guess NH took longer then ME sending the info to MA and by that time I had a negative balance .

Accepted at E-PASS tolls, but not SunPass tolls.

Look for the sign saying E-PASS or SunPass. If it says E-PASS, you can use your E-ZPass. If it says SunPass, you can either exit to the cash toll booths (where available), or just drive through and let them send you a bill based on your license plate -- it's just a couple of dollars more if you're driving your own car..

If you're using 528 or 417, you'll probably hit at least one SunPass toll. Of course, I-4 is still toll-free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter