Epcot Construction Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the same. You don’t eat in a uniquely and distinctly accurate venue in a city like you do in Epcot. You also aren’t always served by people from that country in city restaurants.
Maybe not not in such a close proximity to each other as they are in Epcot but NYC, Chicago, LA and many other major US cities probably have more authentic ethnic restaurants run by people from their country. In addition, the food in those restaurants are much more traditional and authentic and what served in the Epcot restaurants.

Maybe not not in such a close proximity to each other as they are in Epcot but NYC, Chicago, LA and many other major US cities probably have more authentic ethnic restaurants run by people from their country. In addition, the food in those restaurants are much more traditional and authentic and what served in the Epcot restaurants.
In terms of food maybe. I still would argue thematically there is no place better than Epcot.

Everyone is different but I don't live in NYC, Chicago, or LA so I don't have access to that sort of stuff outside of Epcot.

In terms of food maybe. I still would argue thematically there is no place better than Epcot.

Everyone is different but I don't live in NYC, Chicago, or LA so I don't have access to that sort of stuff outside of Epcot.

I will agree with you that on scale Disneys themeing is on restaurants is above board. In saying that I have found quite a few amazingly themed restaurants that blows any of the Epcots world restaurants out of the water. For example I love the Japan pavilion but for pure awesome themeing and fun with a Japaneses influence I would say the best in the US is deff Ninja New York in NYC. Its like a show in itself but you are right you cant go to any other location in the US and have that level of themeing for so many different nationalities in such a small space as Epcot.

I will agree with you that on scale Disneys themeing is on restaurants is above board. In saying that I have found quite a few amazingly themed restaurants that blows any of the Epcots world restaurants out of the water. For example I love the Japan pavilion but for pure awesome themeing and fun with a Japaneses influence I would say the best in the US is deff Ninja New York in NYC. Its like a show in itself but you are right you cant go to any other location in the US and have that level of themeing for so many different nationalities in such a small space as Epcot.
Hearing about the ninja restaurant really makes me miss the old travel channel. That looked like such an interesting concept.

And I wanted to joke: so theming in random areas isn’t authentic? So my local Mexican restaurant I love isn’t authentically themed with just a piñata and watermarks on their pictures???

Ninja is fun (though food isn't that great and overpriced) but I think is more of a fun show vs something trying to give you an idea of that countries culture

Ninja is fun (though food isn't that great and overpriced) but I think is more of a fun show vs something trying to give you an idea of that countries culture
I would say that the Japan pavilion restraunts besides the cast members aren’t really giving you a idea of a countries culture either

I don't live in any of the cities either but I've been fortunate enough to travel to all them on various business trips. I've also travel to most of the countries in question at one time or another, again for business. I can tell you right now that the atmosphere and food at the ethnic restaurants in Epcot don't compare well at all to the food from those countries nor the food from those countries in major US cities. The food in the Epcot restaurants is very Americanized.

Maybe that's a good thing as far as business is concerned but it really doesn't truly show the culture and lifestyle of the country.

I don't live in any of the cities either but I've been fortunate enough to travel to all them on various business trips. I've also travel to most of the countries in question at one time or another, again for business. I can tell you right now that the atmosphere and food at the ethnic restaurants in Epcot don't compare well at all to the food from those countries nor the food from those countries in major US cities. The food in the Epcot restaurants is very Americanized.

Maybe that's a good thing as far as business is concerned but it really doesn't truly show the culture and lifestyle of the country.
I get that. I think when your target market is American people that happens.

World Showcase is a really nice way to dream and imagine you're in those places without having to leave the US. Sure it isn't the same thing, it's Americanized and simplified but I think people know that going in. But it's nice for kids to get them started in thinking about the world differently, although I wish there was a little more diversity there. Seeing the countries in the world showcase when I was young made me want to go on those high school trips to Europe and I'm glad for the inspiration and opportunity. And I bet there's plenty more like me. It a nice way to open the door for Americans to the idea of a global society. I think the food could be improved but that's a problem throughout WDW.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/disney-wi...rdians-of-the-galaxy-roller-coaster-at-epcot/
Crazy wdwnt rumor or actual substance?? I read and stopped at “internal sources.” Just as bad as their “yeti confirmed to be being fixed as Everest heads for a long refurbishment” with just a joe rohde tweet saying “yup”

I swear this guy is the new Jim Hill.....

Also rather amused that we're discussing whether restaurants in a large metropolitan area are more authentic than anything in Epcot. Not. The. Point.

Not the same. You don’t eat in a uniquely and distinctly accurate venue in a city like you do in Epcot. You also aren’t always served by people from that country in city restaurants.

I agree. Mostly the fact it's all together is well, strolling country to country is very unique.

And love it or hate it, the Food and Wine type events add a lot of different countries flavors.

Doesn't hurt to have fireworks every night, and being able to walk to back to your room in minutes.

I think that is one reason Riviera will be successful. Maybe a 7 minute Gondola each way from World Showcase.

Chicagoan here and yes, we have amazing ethnic restaurants. But you can't possibly compare eating out at a restaurant at home to eating in Epcot. And neither can be compared to visiting the actual country itself.

Epcot (and eating there) is great because it's Epcot. In Disney World. Epcot in Disney World.

Wondering if the day will ever come when Disney will step away from their Vekoma obsession. Is there a binding contract in place or what?

Stoked for this, though. Going to be a great ride, regardless.

Wondering if the day will ever come when Disney will step away from their Vekoma obsession. Is there a binding contract in place or what?

Disney uses more than just Vekoma. I’d guess is whoever they like and gives them a good contract.

The recent aerial of the plot behind Epcot shows more work being done. @DanBoris pointed out that the same company doing the Epcot lagoon work is the same company that filed to have their trailers on this property so it very well could be for illuminations work.

D7FCC558-5B1A-4C32-B435-4D842C966C2F.jpeg

Well the last coaster they built was supplied by Mack rides, but I don’t expect tron to be anyone else considering vekoma is known for their booster bike coasters and built the original tron
The recent aerial of the plot behind Epcot shows more work being done. @DanBoris pointed out that the same company doing the Epcot lagoon work is the same company that filed to have their trailers on this property so it very well could be for illuminations work.

View attachment 340605
I’m kind of upset that the one time I expected a ratatouille aerial update it doesn’t happen. Of course what he took today is amazing as always but I guess I’m curious in comparing its progress to Paris’.

Also does it seem like tron is really lagging behind the two projects at Epcot? I can see Ratatouille opening for Christmas next year and potentially guardians for the following summer (or for some crazy but unlikely reason the same time as ratatouille :O). I don’t want to bet on it I just think it’s funny thinking how fast these two are moving along. Makes sense to even out galaxys edge crowds but still

Also does it seem like tron is really lagging behind the two projects at Epcot? I can see Ratatouille opening for Christmas next year and potentially guardians for the following summer (or for some crazy but unlikely reason the same time as ratatouille :O). I don’t want to bet on it I just think it’s funny thinking how fast these two are moving along. Makes sense to even out galaxys edge crowds but still

A little optimistic there. Rat is probably around Memorial Day 2020, and Guardians around Jan/Feb 2021. Still, you have a point...Tron has nothing going on at all. Curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!