Epcot F&W Fest Food: Overrated?

Pygoplites

DIS Veteran
I just returned from a wonderful 5 day solo trip and enjoyed almost everything I ate and drank, except for the food at the F&W booths. Many dishes seemed too salty and/oily or somewhat sloppily prepared (seared scallops with no sear, for instance). I threw some dishes away after a bite or two...something I rarely do.

Maybe I picked the wrong items, but the lobster roll was the only thing I really liked. Also had the worst mai tai ever at the Hawaii kiosk. The wine seminar I attended was also unimpressive. The weekly free tastings at my local wine store are better and more informative.

On the other hand, my restaurant and lounge experiences were excellent! I hadn't done Tusker House breakfast in awhile and it seemed better than ever. Skipper Canteen, Tiffins, and Morimoto were new for me and I enjoyed them all. My old favorites didn't let me down, either.

I did a lot of lounge hopping: Trader Sam's, Tambu, Nomad, Morimoto, Coca-Cola, La Cava del Tequila, Jock Lindsey's, and Tune-In Lounge. Tambu bartenders were the best, but Morimoto's late night $8 cocktails and small plates made it the overall winner. Their fried burger sliders were ridiculously good and the smoked Manhattan cocktail was the best of the trip. Jock Lindsey's didn't impress; drinks were just OK I thought and the sweet potato falafel was not a winner. Coca Cola rooftop lounge was overpriced and underwhelming: $13 for a small drink ordered from a counter and served in a plastic cup.

The samples are literally only a couple bites so its odd that you'd be tossing them instead of just eating them.

I eat zero fish so I can't speak to that but I had some great food there.
Can't recall what all I had as we are talking about 2 months ago now but I didn't have a single bad thing that sticks out.

I absolutely loved everything we had. It was our first time and we ordered at least 25 items per my Food and Wine app. The only item we weren't crazy about was the chilled scotch egg. And I think it was only because it was chilled. I can't wait to go back!

I absolutely loved everything we had. It was our first time and we ordered at least 25 items per my Food and Wine app. The only item we weren't crazy about was the chilled scotch egg. And I think it was only because it was chilled. I can't wait to go back!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who wasn't crazy about the chilled scotch egg. That mac and cheese handwich, on the other hand, was pretty wonderful!!!!

I have to admit that I was disappointed in this year’s Festival. It was my fourth time to visit one—went in 2010, 2011, and 2016 previously.

This year was the first time I felt like they were out to hose me. The prices of the wine samples were insane and that alone really soured the whole experience for me.

Last year, we had Hurricane Matthew to deal with, but managed to enjoy the Festival very much in spite of a lot of awful weather.

2011 was probably the best in terms of value for me personally. I purchased the QS Dining Plan, and we got 2 snacks per person per night. We made out like bandits with those plus they had a “real” beer garden, a stand full of various Sam Adams on tap, and Taylor Dayne’s Festival opening show.

I was smitten by it the previous year in 2010, but I was too much of a novice to appreciate how many things were offered. :)

Last edited:
I think it's like so many things that Disney does. They have a great idea and people enjoy it, then Disney runs it into the ground. I don't think F&W is an enjoyable as it once was. I also don't think MNSSHP is as much fun anymore; I think Disney sells too many tickets and increased the price to an absurd level. Just my opinion.

I'm going next weekend with a group of DH's friends. We have until the 5th to cancel our one night hotel stay at POP. I'm honestly not looking forward to it and trying to talk him out of it.

I went two weeks ago on a girls trip with my mom and we were there for about an hour and left. The lines were insane and the crowds were even worse. It wasn't free moving traffic, it was standstill and people ramming you with strollers or motorized vehicles. The front of the park was fine but back in near Canada things got jammed and it got worse the further you walked.

In the defense of F&W, I'm not a "foodie" and have the palate of a middle schooler.. it's just not for me I guess. We did try the seared scallops, they were okay, nothing amazing.

I just wish things were not so crowded so you could still enjoy Epcot even if you weren't that interested in F&W.

Epcot seems to be turning into a different festival each quarter. The temporary booths are up year round now. I also have a food palate of a middle schooler so most of the food doesn't interest me. We've visited WDW 3 times during F&W but usually skip most of the food. For the last 12 years we visited during the flower & garden the last few years the food booths have been added. The only one I really want soup in Canada hasn't been set up yet. Maybe next year.

I'm going next weekend with a group of DH's friends. We have until the 5th to cancel our one night hotel stay at POP. I'm honestly not looking forward to it and trying to talk him out of it.

I went two weeks ago on a girls trip with my mom and we were there for about an hour and left. The lines were insane and the crowds were even worse. It wasn't free moving traffic, it was standstill and people ramming you with strollers or motorized vehicles. The front of the park was fine but back in near Canada things got jammed and it got worse the further you walked.

In the defense of F&W, I'm not a "foodie" and have the palate of a middle schooler.. it's just not for me I guess. We did try the seared scallops, they were okay, nothing amazing.

I just wish things were not so crowded so you could still enjoy Epcot even if you weren't that interested in F&W.

What night of the week did you go? My trip was also about 2 weeks ago, Oct 18-24, and the day of the week made a huge difference in crowds. Friday night was insane, which I knew it would be. Sunday night was like a totally different place. Very low crowds.

I've gone solo for the last 4 years and have enjoyed it each year. Has it changed? Probably, prices are pretty consistent as far as I can tell. I can't comment on the wine pours, I rarely get wine at the booths, there are just so many other options there at Epcot to enjoy wine flights that I just don't bother at the booths. I go to a couple of seminars each time, this year I only went to one wine seminar and a vodka seminar. I enjoyed both. I went to one culinary demo and enjoyed it but was a little put off that they stopped serving at least the house wine with it, having said that, it was a dessert demo so I was ok with it, the price was still ok with me. I go to at least one, usually more of the food and wine pairing meals and have never been disappointed with those. Is the food quality what you would get at a restaurant? Of course not, it's booths, they can't have chefs back there preparing the meals you expect at a 5 star establishment. Have I been disappointed with some of the offerings? Of course, not everyone likes everything and you can't expect to please everyone. I agree things seemed a little more salty than usual, but I'm on a new medication this year and even cereal tastes salty to me so I don't really notice the difference. I've been known to taste a bite or two and throw out the rest but I do that with most everything I eat since I'm not a huge meal eater and get full fast.

Its interesting because in March 2017 we went to the Food and Wine Festival at Disney's California Adventure and liked it so much better than the F&WF at Walt Disney World. We go to that event every other year and while we like it just fine, we were very impressed with the California version. The food and beverages are different and we think, better.

We have been disappointed too as veterans of several years standing at F and W. The service at the food Booths we tried was patchy - when two items are ordered one is handed over immediately and then a three or four minute wait for number 2 by which time number 1 is cold. Perhaps it was only Luke warm when served? The Food demo we did was just ok. The chef was parachuted in at the last minute apparently to cover for the advertised chef doing jury service. In the UK you get several weeks notice about jury service but presumably not here. The chef who cooked appeared to be a great chef but wasn’t used to presenting which is a different art and so the seminar wasn’t very informative. Perhaps we would have enjoyed it more with a glass of wine to sip. We then Attended a wine seminar and I would echo the earlier review about it being very low level. My husband says patronising. Presumably people who attend these events do so because they have a reasonable level of interest in ,and knowledge of , wine and so the level of presentation should reflect this. The tasting samples were barely enough to taste properly anyway.

We headed back out to WS and After paying $4 for a third of a bottle of Singapore beer paired with underwhelming Thai food we looked at each other and decided we would rather spend our money on a decent plate of food and a decent glass of wine. We headed out through insane crowds ( and this was midweek) to the Boardwalk and the Flying Fish saved the evening

Maybe you picked some bad items. I've gone to the Food and Wine Festival two years in a row now and both times the food has been fantastic. I didn't try the items you did except for the lobster roll (which I also loved) You should give it another chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter