***Epcot Food And Wine Festival Info 2008***

We are back from Food and Wine and had a wonderful time. I have lots to post and not sure exactly where to start.

Our dates were Thursday-Sunday - and we attended the PFTS as our only ticketed event.

I'll post reviews of the Food Booths as well.....and I will scan in the program if it has not yet been done, once I find it when unpacked.

Booth #1 - Reims

Our choice was the Moet and Chandon Imperial.
How can you go wrong with starting a day with champagne?
We also had the Tattainger at the Welcome Center and Pommery Brut at France.

Of the three, my favourite is still France.
Sorry - marketplace. We miss Fairy Tale, Disney's champagne. Many years past, this was featured in the champagne booth in Italy.

Booth #2 was from Chile.

I enjoyed the Shrimp with Cilantro Salsa. It was a hot day and the shrimp offering was cold. The shrimp was cooked so that it still "popped" when bitten. Quite good.

No wine tried this booth.

01-FW2008.gif
02-FW2008.gif

Booth #3 offered only meat entrees, not surprising as it was from Argentina. Thus, I skipped this one completely.

But I made up for it at Booth #4 - This is a new offering and it did not disappoint.

The Mouse Catch was a catchy name and we tried it 3 days in a row. My first selection was the pairing of the Dorothea cheese and Heineken. Oh my, this would rate a 6 if there was one. Sam tried the three selections of cheese. One of the representatives from IGourmet was at the booth overseeing the offerings and talking to guests. They also offered coupons for their on-line cheese. Which, we have ordered from and is well recommended. I'd recommend the trio of cheeses so you can select your fav. If you attend PFTS, Igourmet is also there, but the Dorothea Cheese was not.

Here is another hint - purchase the selection of pears at PEARVILLE and then try the cheese with pears....heavenly....

03-FW2008.gif
04-FW2008.gif

Mine are printed and bound as we are leaving tomorrow - Cannot wait. Sam was so excited to see his book again last night......thanks to you. I'll see if I can slip in the brewer's collection page.....actually, I put lines on mine so maybe I could write in the list of beers....that works.

Thanks again so much.

How did you bind your cards? I have printed mine and I have been wondering how best to put them together.

Thanks,
Mary

OK missed the post with the card things on and now can't find it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

EDIT -> Found them now! Couldn't see them for looking lol

How did you bind your cards? I have printed mine and I have been wondering how best to put them together.

Thanks,
Mary

I used a spiral binder since I have access to one. I also take a small zip loc plastic bag to hold the cards and pens for easy access.

You could try one or two hole punch in the top and clip them with a "key chain" ring. We always seem to have spares at the house. Or binder rings are inexpensive.

Booth #5 - alas there was no time to stop at Mexico.
I do love Mexican Food, and would have tried the Chilaquiles.

Booth #6 yielded the chilled soup which was nice at high noon. Had I visited New Orleans first, I would have a stash of Tabasco which would have spiced up the soup and improved its zest. I paired it with the Brut. The champagne was average for my taste - not unpleasant.

05-FW2008.gif
06-FW2008.gif

I didn't get over to Epcot for EMH to check out the food booths. I am sorry they weren't open.

But I am confused by your post.... there was no Party for the Senses on Saturday night. So where were you instead? :confused3

There was a PFTS on Saturday the 4th. I was there, I gained the weight to prove it! It was the previous week, when the Borcuse thing was held that there was no PFTS.

I really wanted to believe that there were last minute changes or something that prevented the full brochure from being printed, but it was pretty finished looking, if you know what I mean. Sort of glossy finish, bi-fold. It almost felt like they were simply fulfilling the requirement to the vintners to make sure their names were printed on something that guests would be handed at the door.

I have a question... someone mentioned the vendors have to pay 30,000 dollars to participate in F&W. Is that for the booth vendors or the PFTS or how does that work?

And you have my most sincere apology! :flower3:

We got back home this past Thursday morning and my inner clock forgot there was another weekend, although I spent it putting together my TR! I don't blame you for being disappointed! It sounds like there is a lot of skimping going on as far as the special events for F&W Festival this year. We didn't find anything missing as far as the booths during normal WS hours, so that is good news. But no brochure for PFTS is just not acceptable, I agree!

I would love to know the answer to the $$ question too!

I too was at PFTS on the 4th - my first time. As far as I was concerned, the booklet issue was the only glitch in the evening. I had several interesting conversations with Disney management in attendence - as well as th event coordinator (it's her first year). There was ample seating (and standing) at tables scattered throughout the room. I think I tried nearly every food/cheese/dessert selection in the joint and several tables got repeat business. After several glasses of wine and champaign, I was happy to see a coffee bar set up in the corner of the room.

Now, the brochure was an issue and even caught the CM servers at the event off guard. When we asked specifically for a listing of the items being offered that evening, she went off in search of one. She returned a bit later with a shocked look on her face - she couldln't believe there wasn't one like years past and commented that folks were NOT going to be happy. She did find me a pen to write in my brochure.

But, I found it easier just to snap a picture of the signage at each table. Unfortunately, I realized about halfway through the evening I should have followed that up with a photo of the food or beverage itself. Oh well!

The change in the brochure has nothing to do with cost - I should know, I sell copiers/printers for a living. Since WDW has it's own onsite print shop, a 12 page full color brochure costs less than a quarter (including the paper AND saddle stitching). My suspicion is that some "genius" somewhere thought that a four page brochure would be easier for the guess to fold up in a pocket.

So, I pointed out to several management type folks that it would be very simple to keep the same format but change the font color to coordinate with the area and add the dish name at the end of each line. They seemed genuinely concerned as they were already getting negative feedback from Guests about the difficulty in finding their desired selection - I even had two chefs walk me to the other end of the room to show me the booth I was seeking. But, only time will tell if any changes will be made.

Here is a Re-cap of my PFTS - (from a post on the review page).

Disney did a good job of checking in all the parties, same as last year, with the check-in station near the lake. If you missed it, you entered to the left while everyone else scrambled to get the glasses and plates. It is still a scamble. Oh well. The glasses were different from last year - as last year's were for RED, these I believe are for white. Nice, as the last several years have been reds.

The disappointment was the program. No nice program to study while you waited the next 15 minutes, rather, it was a listing of guest chefs, disney chefs for the entrees and the desserts. The next page was a listing of participating wineries. This made the selection process difficult - Although the event was still divided into the color section, you did not know what was where until you set out - and no chance to pair food and wine together except by chance. I did not take a camera as I have never taken pics in past years and it is extra weight - but I wish I had. So - next folks - take the camera. I always carry a pen and a small flashlight - and I did wander at the end and try to copy down the entrees I had. That did not carry forward for wines however.

It did seem less crowded than in past years and we always go the same weekend. The entertainement was not Circ de Soil as you know but a similar type performance on 3 stages. I personally liked the lack of the large stage in the center of the room as it was easier to walk around the food booths.

We sat with another couple who landed at a table near-by - ok - we invited ourselves to sit with them, after all you need to share tables - and they were quite good company and we enjoyed the evening more by having this experience.

As for the food offerings, some were very good, some lacked quality and one or two were outstanding. Much is personal preference. The guest chefs I met were all personable and willing to interact with the guests, more as the night progressed and they were less busy. As for the participating wineries, some had offerings for me taste, others, not so much. A few of my past favourites did not show this year, that could have been scheduling. I was very impressed with Hell's Kitchen "Chef Rock". He took time to meet and speak attentatively to everyone and even pose for pictures. He answered the question I was dying to ask someone from that show. More comments on other chefs when I have my notes with me.

There were 2 cheese stations, with some different selections, which pleased me fine. I did not frequent the desserts so cannot comment there - I did miss the gelato offered in past year(s).

Like past years, some stations were very crowded - this year it was Scallops - will need to check the print out for the chef. My favourite of the entree offerings would have been between the peppered duck with slaw, the snapper with mushrooms and artichokes and the chicken with cheese toasted bread (yes chicken!).

I would like to send a comment on the program if anyone has a recommendation for an e-mail.

Thanks for the great PFTS and booth reviews:yay:I'll try to do the same after I return next week. Thanks for the tip about the pen and small flashlight :)

Someone mentioned that the food booths were not open during EMH last Friday. We were there too What A Disappointment !!! We have been doing the EMH on Friday during F&W since they started and it was always the best time to go. The place was pretty empty and all of the food booths were open you could practically eat and drink all the way around during EMH. But not any more ! They closed the food booths at 10:00 and didn't clear out any of the day guest. It was horribly crowded and we only got to two food booths during the extra hour. They told us the regular food booths would stay open untill 11:30 but we were standing in front of the Margarita booth in Mexico when they closed it at 11:00. Being an accountant I understand Disney's position here, they have to pay all of those employees to be there for 3 hours with very little revenue but they sure don't consider their guest.

I know what you mean about EMH! We were planning on them for a late dinner. I started asking at about 6pm, before we headed over to see Wishes, just to verify they would be open and I was told they closed at 9. I asked a few places and got the same answer, so we ate a few things quickly and then headed out. When we returned at 10, we didn't find anything open. Since we were there for only three nights, we really needed those extra hours if we wanted to fit it all in.

I love EMH for the attractions, but we always find we're starving from being up later than normal and by the time we realize this, everything is closed. I guess we're running so much to try to hit everything that's open, we forget to eat. :sad1:

Got back yesterday from the F&W festival. Read all the pages on this thread and the Reviews threat that I missed.

There were some posts on both that I wanted to respond to but I don't remeber which thread. So please bear with me.

The Louisiana culinary demonstrations change each week. But they DO NOT include samples to eat (just a demonstration)

The Australian wine walkabout does include a passport for $8.50 to sample four wines. HOWEVER, unlike last year, this year the New York wine tasting booth DOES NOT have a passport option.

Someone was asking where the wine schools were being held (probably too late because they were asking last week). They are at the festival center upstairs in the conference/banquet room.

Anyway, at the PFTS, the glasses this year are smaller than the previous few years. So anyone planning on bringing wine glass holders designed for the bigger glasses, don't bother, they are too big.

Ed

Ok, I have a question for those who have been to this years FaWF this year. What are the "Must tries" from the booths?

I read the menu on allears , and it had me intrigued. I am thinking of even trying escargot for the first time ever. :lmao:

Ok, I have a question for those who have been to this years FaWF this year. What are the "Must tries" from the booths?

I read the menu on allears , and it had me intrigued. I am thinking of even trying escargot for the first time ever. :lmao:

My DH and I really enjoyed the roasted beet salad and the beef medallion at the San Francisco kiosk. We thought both to be very tasty! The Bread Pudding in Louisiana was also yummy!

I haven't been yet this year, but I tried escargot for the first time there last year and I liked it! It was really good! And it's great to be able to try something like that for only like $4.50 to see if you like it. Perfect! :thumbsup2

Sorry that I have not had time to complete my booth reviews, but my Must Tries are:

Dorthea Cheese
Durban Spiced Chicken
Peppery Prawns on the Barbie
Spaetzle

The escargot was good, it would be in my "next layer".....

Here are a few more reviews.

When I left off we were about to move to Vienna which I passed as it had only meat offerings. And although I like Chicken Sha Cha it had a bad review so I decided to save my taste buds for something less common.

Onto New Delhi and the Red Curry Shrimp over rice which was quite tasty. The curry could have been hotter for my liking but for a dish for everyone to enjoy it had a bit of a bite, and the shrimp was cooked to enjoy. Often shrimp is overcooked for large gatherings and I did not find this. A solid rating of a "4".

And Cape Town did not disappoint. the Durban Chicken was very, very tasty and also very spicey. There was a short wait, not in line but for the food. This was well worth it, as the chicken was hot and sizzling. (This was Friday night so it helped that the weather was cooler.) The root veggies were tasty as well. I paired this with the Pinotage one of the few wines I had this time. A smoky wine which brought out the spice of the dish. Both chicken and wine, upon review, should score a 5.

09-FW2008.gif
10-FW2008.gif

So where to now??? Melbourne. We first tried the Chilled Barramundi Fish during our Thursday day trip. It was surprisingly good. The fennel slaw was a nice accompaniment. Had we not had the Pepperberry Prawns the next night, the Chilled Barramundi would have rated a 5 - as it was the Perrerberry received the higher rating with the Barramundi a close second. If you only had time to try one, I would recommend the Barramundi as it is less common. Sam had the lamb chop which he said was excellent. I tried the wattleseed mouse. If you do not like sweets, do not try this dessert. I will refrain from a rating as I am no sure it would be fair. Thanks to one of the free winetastings we are also able to taste the Green Point wines, including the Shiraz - from Victoria. We paired the Barramundi with the pink sparkling, which made a refreshing match.

11-FW2008.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!