Epcot + rain

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
We are coming into town early Friday and plan to go straight to Epcot. Rain forecast is 90%, saying thunderstorms in the afternoon. I know we are a couple days out, but if things don't change, would you still do Epcot that day?

We would. Bring some ponchos and you may get lucky and the crowds will thin out.

That's what I'm hoping. I feel like Epcot may be one of the best in the rain, except we really want to see flower and garden! I'm just hoping the rain isn't consistent. I should add we will have two small kids + a stroller with us... good times.

Have done it many times in rainstorms (we go in June) and twice in tropical storms. It was so much fun. Bring umbrellas or ponchos. Chances are you may still get soaked but once you resign yourself to that it's no big deal. You're already wet so who cares. Crowds are bound to be thinner.

Last edited:

I have to agree that Epcot is decent on a rainy day, as long as it isn't too intense.

I'm looking at Friday's forecast and, yes, its showing an 80% chance of rain, but its showing it as thunderstorms after 3:00. Sounds like a typical summer-like day at Disney. And the rain amounts predicted aren't huge, so it doesn't sound like the kind that will end your day. I think you'll be fine...maybe just bring in ponchos or your favorite rain gear.

Rain days can be awesome. Have good rain gear. When it rains, the parks empty out.
The only down side to the rain is the rollercosters or test track may be down.
Once the rain stops, it can still take an hour or 2 for the parks to fill back up.

If you have water-resistant shoes, you might want to wear them or bring them with you to EP. In heavy downpours, there can be flooding, till things dry out. There is just nothing quite like walking in soggy squishy shoes in the parks. That’s one guest experience I would rather do without, so I sometimes carry a pair of lightweight waterproof shoes, when heavy rain is forecasted for a park day. I have learned from experience!

I've been going to WDW for over 35 years and have been maybe twice when it hasn't rained. Just take a poncho or rain coat or umbrella and enjoy the rain.
Ditto. It's like when I first started camping with my son in Boy Scouts. I worried about what we'd do if it rained. After a few campouts, I just planned on it raining, and if it didn't rain, then it was a pleasant surprise.

We usually go to WDW in the summer, and it pretty much rains every day in the afternoon...but usually doesn't last too long. It does, however, generally thin the crowd out. One year it didn't rain all week, and we actually missed it, because the rain also usually cools things off in the afternoon heat.

No matter what you do, just bring a little zip lock bag for your electronics for each person.

It's one thing to have a poncho, umbrella, or nothing at all. You can still can get wet in the process depending on how hard it falls and the wind. The only thing I care about is making sure I do not lose my phone due to it getting to wet. If I get wet, if anything else gets wet, so what? It will dry. Even when it comes to having them in a backpack, or purse I wouldn't risk it. It can soak through, or the opens of a purse can expose electronics to the elements. So, unless you have it in a plastic backpack I would bring zip locks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter