Epcot...two ADRs....is this wise?

Two reservations is a bit much when you only have one day, unless you have been there countless times and you don't need to see everything. Which it sounds like this will be essentially a first visit for the family.

With these times i would do the Akershus if the princess meets are a must.
I don't think they are there at this restaurant only at the meet and greet at Norway ( i could be wrong). If the other princesses are not important i would cancel - it is expensive and food is just ok. An 8:30pm coral reef with two kids under 2 doesn't seem like the best idea - cranky, tired kids in a TS restaurant is never pleasant for anyone. If you had an earlier reservation i wouldn't necessarily see a problem but little ones can't handle the parks like the older kids. Maybe see if you can snag and earlier coral reef -- it is a neat restaurant - the reviews are a little mixed but generally good.

You are also going during flower and garden which has many outdoor kitchens and amazing food to sample around the world showcase. My traveling party is actually considering canceling some of our Epcot reservations because there is so much good food available.

Thank you for the advice

I have been checking Coral Reef and that was the only ADR. Is Illuminations really that much of a must see? I think we would be ok with missing it, but I'm going to YouTube it to check it out.

Illuminations is our favorite Disney nighttime spectacular. It is WAY MORE than just fireworks. It is music, fire, water, lasers, and fireworks. We wouldn’t miss it.

For my family, two ADRs would be WAY too much, especially because your first ADR is a buffet. After a buffet, we usually skip what would otherwise be our next meal time, maybe have a snack.

The second reason I don't ever do more than one ADR per day is that TS meals at WDW are SLOW. Akershus regularly has folks waiting out front, which means they don't always seat folks on time. Plus, you have to wait for all the characters to come to your table, unless you don't want to see all of the princesses. And if you aren't interested in seeing all the princesses then the meal is a bit pricey if you aren't trying to see all the princesses.

TS meals typically take about 90 minutes at WDW, but that's how long it typically takes for a party of 4 people. With a group of 7, it often takes longer to get seated. An ADR isn't a reservation. I've often been seated 30+ minutes past my ADR time, despite showing up on time.

Third, for us, it often takes us 1.5 days do see all of Epcot, and we regularly skip some attractions. Though I can't say how much time you'll want to spend in Epcot, as Epcot is a bit unique. Of all the parks, Epcot has many things to see that aren't traditional rides. For example, the Living Seas has many aquariums. If you don't like looking at aquariums, then you'll walk right past them, taking no time at all, and that's fine. If, on the other time, you look at all the critters, you can potentially spend much longer in that area. Much of Epcot is open-ended like that. Some folks glide through the World Showcase, others easily spend an hour in each country.

Fourth, as others have said, Epcot has some great QS options. Our WDW style is typically to eat a quick breakfast (so we arrive early), a quick lunch, and a slower dinner.

Fifth, ADR's = you have to be at a specific place at a specific time, and that isn't always easy at WDW. For us, a late ADR is usually no problem, but other kids will be tired come 8:30pm. Everyone is stimulated ALL DAY at WDW, and that exhausts many people. Of all the parks, Epcot has the most walking.

Two ADRs in one day is very doable, I do 2 - 3 most days myself. The consideration here is that you only have 1 day in EP in which case, I can understand your concern around losing touring time because there is a lot of ground to cover in EP. I would recommend getting your Akershus ADR as early as possible, pre-park opening if you can get it and then you won't lose out on much park tie in the morning. Then Coral Reef for dinner will be a well welcomed break on a busy EP day.

We are doing Akershus for the princesses, my two yr old is into princesses, but just Elsa, Anna and Rapunzel. I'm thinking about dropping Akershus, because not sure that my ten years old will like the food. We also have Cindy's booked, but I might drop it also because all we could get is breakfast and I honestly am struggling if it is even worth it.

Elsa and Anna for sure aren't at Akershus, and Rapunzel isn't part of the normal lineup either. She is there from time to time but usually not.
With that in mind, I think I'd drop the Akershus and keep stalking for an earlier time at Coral Reef.
Do the Anna and Elsa meet and greet instead of the lunch, and eat QS somewhere great in the World Showcase. Even if you end up dropping CRT too, there are lots of other places to meet princesses - around the World Showcase in Epcot, and at the princess M&Gs at MK.

Based on what you said here, I would scrap Akershus and move Coral Reef to an early lunch (perhaps 11-11:30). We'll do that sometimes and hit Spaceship Earth, Soarin and the Land boat ride when we get to the park before heading to Coral Reef. Depending on timing and crowds, we might also do the Nemo ride before eating. You can hit the rest of Future World after lunch and then head to World Showcase. There's plenty of decent QS there if you get hungry again. Since you haven't seen Illuminations before, I recommend that you see it.

Last edited:
What might be helpful for you is to get a touring plans subscription (pretty inexpensive but very helpful if you haven't been in a while or even if you are a seasoned park person)- you can use this to plot out your day - rides, shows, ADR and it will help you formulate and figure out if you are doing too much or if you can tackle everything on your wish list.

Whether using touring plans or not you should plan for 1.5 hrs for a dining reservation -- this will allow for a little bit of a wait before seating and then having an hour or so for eating your meal without rushing through. Touring plans also has a reservation finder - so you could use it to find an earlier dinner at coral reef.

What day are you planning on for coral reef? I have one on 4/14 that i will be canceling for a dinner, but like others have mentioned coral reef isn't a hard to get one so keep your options open for lunch or dinner and be flexible with your times and you will find something.

Is Illuminations really that much of a must see?
Ah, I strongly suggest against watching it on you tube. wait for then real thing.

When it comes it comes to WDW, it always feels like there is more to see and do than you can possibly see or do, especially in just a week.

On the other, since you'll see amazingly fun stuff all day, you probably won't miss what you don't see.

People's expectations can go either way. Sometimes they get so tired they don't care to see anything else. Other times they get (so overstimulated that they get) obsessed with the ONE thing they didn't get to do. Hard to predict. Folks can be one way one day at WDW, and the opposite the next day.

Once your feet start to hurt, your desire to see more things quickly evaporates.

how do I say...One WDW mistake, of sorts, is to "promise" to do anything, especially to kids. We've adopted the motto, "We'll see what we see." We go in with the attitude that if we don't see it this trip, we'll try to see it another time. AND, we'll allow ourselves as much flexibility as possible, so we can forgive ourselves when something unexpected happens.

More or less, every trip, something unexpected happens. And I say this as someone who has been to WDW many times.

For a start, WDW has a fair number of transportation delays and ride breakdowns. You also can't predict the impact of the weather, etc. Or maybe you just enjoy seeing those aquariums longer than you expected, because you happened to arrive at feeding time, and it was too amazing.

You can either be chill, or spend the trip constantly trying to keep everyone on schedule. Alas, you'll have to find the happy balance that works for your family. Each of us is different.

If your daughter really loves Rapunzel, maybe you could try to schedule the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno before you head to Epcot for the day? Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder are at the breakfast along with Ariel and Prince Eric. I'm not sure where you are staying so that may not be easy/convenient to get to for breakfast, but it would be convenient to get to Epcot afterward.

On our last trip we did two ADRs on our Epcot day and it worked well for us. We did a PPO breakfast at Akershus and dinner at one of the restaurants in the WS around 7:00 so we could watch Illuminations afterward. We had a light lunch and snacks when people were hungry in between the two. We obviously didn't get to ride and see everything, but we were able to accomplish everything we were interested in while still enjoying the TS meals.

Some of the best quick service food can be found in Epcot. I'd personally cancel one of yours and give yourself a chance to snack around the world showcase. There's some good stuff there! And yes, it's a big park with a lot to see and do. I would maximize touring time if you think you can.
Thank you

I have had excellent food at coral reef and I have had food that was just ok. It is, however, a very cool experience. I have done two sit down ADRs in one day on numerous occasions. If you are going to be in the park all day, it is a nice chance to relax for a bit. How old is your DD? Depending on interest, WS can take anywhere from an hour to half a day. It just depends on how interested that your family is.

She will be 17.

Sort of torn on my answer to this. A lot would depend on what time your reservations are for, if EMH are going on that day and if you're getting there at rope drop or taking your time getting there. Also, is touring around the countries a must do or are you looking more for rides? Since you haven't been in 20+ years, you may want the extra time to see some of the sights.

Me personally, the only countries in the world showcase that I really spend time at are Japan, Norway, and Mexico and that's mainly because of the rides and pick a pearl so I could probably see everything I wanted to see in Epcot in one day with two ADRs. But if you're wanting more time to tour, I'd probably cancel one depending on which you'd like more, spending time with the Princesses or eating with the fish. Personally, I'd cancel the Coral Reef but that's just me.

I'm pretty adamant on eating with the fish. That is the only thing she really wants to do. I'm having problems justifying to myself the whole princess bit especially since we could do an Ana and Elsa meet n greet and the two yr old would be happy.

If you drop the Akershus ADR, then, you can eat anytime during the day at Coral Reef. Keep trying for an earlier ADR at Coral Reef (even lunch time). Illuminations is not-to-be-missed. That holds true for all night-time entertainment in WDW parks, including Happily Ever After and Fantasmic (just in case you're considering skipping those). I haven't seen Rivers of Light yet. You can eat dinner anytime, anywhere, but these fireworks shows are really something special.

When are your ADRs? I think that could work, but I'd do a late breakfast at Akerhus and an early dinner at Coral Reef, with plans to do some snacking. I'd do a little touring in FW, then Akershus and WS, then back to FW in the evening. FW is not crowded in the evening-- everything but Soarin' and Test Track is pretty much a walk on.
I've never eaten at Akershus, but my kids love Coral Reef. I think it's fine-- not bad, but not great. But my kids LOVE eating with the aquarium there. It somehow is much more fun than just looking at the aquarium from The Seas.
Usually I don't like to RD TT, but I'd RD TT, do Mission Space and Spaceship Earth, then FP FEA and do Akershus (or vice versa.) Then I'd look for a 4th FP for Soarin' to do before or after Coral Reef.

Awesome advice. Thank you. I have the touring plans subscription, but am having trouble putting together our plans.

We are doing Akershus for the princesses, my two yr old is into princesses, but just Elsa, Anna and Rapunzel. I'm thinking about dropping Akershus, because not sure that my ten years old will like the food. We also have Cindy's booked, but I might drop it also because all we could get is breakfast and I honestly am struggling if it is even worth it.
I can't tell you if it's worth it because that is so subjective, but we've eaten breakfast at CRT (when my oldest was 3 and when my youngest was 2) and while the food was just ok, the experience both times made it worth it.

I'd suggest using Touring Plans reservation finder - you don't need a paid account to use it and you can put in a search for a different time for Coral Reef and see if it comes up and then switch it.

And I'd check about which princesses are at Akershus. Pretty sure Anna & Elsa are not there and don't think Rapunzel is either... I also am not sure they are at CRT. So meet & greets might be a better option for those.

If you drop the Akershus ADR, then, you can eat anytime during the day at Coral Reef. Keep trying for an earlier ADR at Coral Reef (even lunch time). Illuminations is not-to-be-missed. That holds true for all night-time entertainment in WDW parks, including Happily Ever After and Fantasmic (just in case you're considering skipping those). I haven't seen Rivers of Light yet. You can eat dinner anytime, anywhere, but these fireworks shows are really something special.
Exactly. Dinner is dinner is dinner. Disney Fireworks are unlike anything, anywhere. They are spectacular.

Isn't 8:30 pretty late for dinner with a 1 & 2 yr old? Maybe you figure they'll fall asleep in their strollers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter