Epcot...two ADRs....is this wise?

For my family, two ADRs would be WAY too much, especially because your first ADR is a buffet. After a buffet, we usually skip what would otherwise be our next meal time, maybe have a snack.

The second reason I don't ever do more than one ADR per day is that TS meals at WDW are SLOW. Akershus regularly has folks waiting out front, which means they don't always seat folks on time. Plus, you have to wait for all the characters to come to your table, unless you don't want to see all of the princesses. And if you aren't interested in seeing all the princesses then the meal is a bit pricey if you aren't trying to see all the princesses.

TS meals typically take about 90 minutes at WDW, but that's how long it typically takes for a party of 4 people. With a group of 7, it often takes longer to get seated. An ADR isn't a reservation. I've often been seated 30+ minutes past my ADR time, despite showing up on time.

Third, for us, it often takes us 1.5 days do see all of Epcot, and we regularly skip some attractions. Though I can't say how much time you'll want to spend in Epcot, as Epcot is a bit unique. Of all the parks, Epcot has many things to see that aren't traditional rides. For example, the Living Seas has many aquariums. If you don't like looking at aquariums, then you'll walk right past them, taking no time at all, and that's fine. If, on the other time, you look at all the critters, you can potentially spend much longer in that area. Much of Epcot is open-ended like that. Some folks glide through the World Showcase, others easily spend an hour in each country.

Fourth, as others have said, Epcot has some great QS options. Our WDW style is typically to eat a quick breakfast (so we arrive early), a quick lunch, and a slower dinner.

Fifth, ADR's = you have to be at a specific place at a specific time, and that isn't always easy at WDW. For us, a late ADR is usually no problem, but other kids will be tired come 8:30pm. Everyone is stimulated ALL DAY at WDW, and that exhausts many people. Of all the parks, Epcot has the most walking.

Thank you. You made some really good points.

Elsa and Anna for sure aren't at Akershus, and Rapunzel isn't part of the normal lineup either. She is there from time to time but usually not.
With that in mind, I think I'd drop the Akershus and keep stalking for an earlier time at Coral Reef.
Do the Anna and Elsa meet and greet instead of the lunch, and eat QS somewhere great in the World Showcase. Even if you end up dropping CRT too, there are lots of other places to meet princesses - around the World Showcase in Epcot, and at the princess M&Gs at MK.
I'm so torn. I know eating at CRT is a once in a lifetime experience, but will my two yr old even remember it? Probably not. I know everyone else is ok with skipping it. I just feel like we should eat there because we were blessed enough to get the reservation and it is so unique. As I am typing this out, I have come to the realization that I will probably drop CRT.

I'm pretty adamant on eating with the fish. That is the only thing she really wants to do. I'm having problems justifying to myself the whole princess bit especially since we could do an Ana and Elsa meet n greet and the two yr old would be happy.

I agree. And since her must see princesses are Elsa, Anna and Rapunzel, I think you would do much better to see Rapunzel at MK and Elsa and Anna in Norway. I've never had Akershus so I can't say how it is but when I went to Coral Reef, I thought it was pretty good. Not my absolute favorite and I do wish we could have sat closer to the aquarium than we did. But from what I can remember, you can see the aquarium from anywhere you sit and everything I had was good. I'd definitely keep your eyes open for an earlier reservation especially as you get closer to your trip though. Several times, reservations will open up a day or two before because people will cancel so they don't have to pay a fee.

I'd also check out Illuminations on YouTube and decide from there. Personally, it's not one of my favorites and we've been okay with missing it but for several, it's a must do. That being said, we also have multiple trips under our belts and pretty much just do our must sees when we go while this is your first time in several years.

We are a party of seven. Three adults, four kids (dd 17, ds 10, dd 2, dd 1). Our ADRs are: Akershus 1:30 and Coral Reef 830. Oh and we are going in April.

Just in case you didn't know, when you make your ADRs you must include everyone in your count, even the babies. Some people thought they didn't need to include them and booked ADRs for less people than they really needed and were turned away.

Ah, I strongly suggest against watching it on you tube. wait for then real thing.

When it comes it comes to WDW, it always feels like there is more to see and do than you can possibly see or do, especially in just a week.

On the other, since you'll see amazingly fun stuff all day, you probably won't miss what you don't see.

People's expectations can go either way. Sometimes they get so tired they don't care to see anything else. Other times they get (so overstimulated that they get) obsessed with the ONE thing they didn't get to do. Hard to predict. Folks can be one way one day at WDW, and the opposite the next day.

Once your feet start to hurt, your desire to see more things quickly evaporates.

how do I say...One WDW mistake, of sorts, is to "promise" to do anything, especially to kids. We've adopted the motto, "We'll see what we see." We go in with the attitude that if we don't see it this trip, we'll try to see it another time. AND, we'll allow ourselves as much flexibility as possible, so we can forgive ourselves when something unexpected happens.

More or less, every trip, something unexpected happens. And I say this as someone who has been to WDW many times.

For a start, WDW has a fair number of transportation delays and ride breakdowns. You also can't predict the impact of the weather, etc. Or maybe you just enjoy seeing those aquariums longer than you expected, because you happened to arrive at feeding time, and it was too amazing.

You can either be chill, or spend the trip constantly trying to keep everyone on schedule. Alas, you'll have to find the happy balance that works for your family. Each of us is different.

Yes you are totally right. Our only must do things are the ADRs. I would really love the two year old to do the meet n greet with Elsa and Anna, but other than that we are pretty much flexible. I was very careful not to promise anything except Coral Reef (Dd 17 is willing to give it up so her two yr old sister can meet the princesses. See how awesome my kid is?). Our ten year old doesn't even know we are going. It is a surprise.

I have a touring plan subscription but was having trouble with it. We are all home today as it never is cold in San Antonio, so since there is sleet and frozen weather, naturally the whole city has shut down. I might try to see if I can figure out the touring plan.

Isn't 8:30 pretty late for dinner with a 1 & 2 yr old? Maybe you figure they'll fall asleep in their strollers?

Santa just brought a double stroller and we are def using it at Wdw. I'm hoping will go to sleep. They also take late naps and usually go to bed around ten.

Just in case you didn't know, when you make your ADRs you must include everyone in your count, even the babies. Some people thought they didn't need to include them and booked ADRs for less people than they really needed and were turned away.

Thank you. I made our ADRs for seven. I have read unofficial guide cover to cover. It is like the Disney go to.

To you.

To her daughter, eating at CR is a priority, and that's okay.

While I used to enjoy Illuminations, we tend to skip it now.

Thank you. Yes our Coral Reef reservation is not going anywhere unless I can get an earlier time. This is my daughters request and I will honor it even if it means missing fireworks.

To you.

To her daughter, eating at CR is a priority, and that's okay.

While I used to enjoy Illuminations, we tend to skip it now.
Actually, no. I don't even like Illuminations and never go any more. But I've seen it. I would never tell someone who has never seen it to skip it, even if I don't like it.

We are a party of seven. Three adults, four kids (dd 17, ds 10, dd 2, dd 1). Our ADRs are: Akershus 1:30 and Coral Reef 830. Oh and we are going in April.

Just so you know if the real reason is the aquarium ... you party is too large to sit next to the glass (they are usually 2 or 4), and may even be too large for booths across the way. Seems many larger groups sit higher up at tables .... and having sat there it's a completely different experience from our times by the glass.

No way I would miss Illuminations if you have never seen it. I would look at one of the restaurants in the World Showcase with her and book it earlier. Here are some photos from review by EasyWDW and you can see most tables are not close to the windows. It's not like in the Living Seas where the windows are walls of glass. And there is no viewing area to go watch the fish.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/coral-reef-new-menu-review-at-epcot-52917/

cvfsdhdff56.jpg

"“Every seat is a good one for watching” may be a bit of a misnomer as some number of guests will need to crane their heads one way or another for a glimpse inside the tanks."

cvfsdhdff68.jpg

review_coral_reef_epcot_summer_2017-14.jpg

I have the touring plans subscription, but am having trouble putting together our plans.
One piece of advice that might be helpful is to select your pace (put at relaxed or very relaxed as traveling with children in a stroller w/ a crowd is never quick and then select minimize walking) Print out a map from easy WDW for each park - this way you can select your attractions in the order that will make the most sense for your touring to minimize traveling back and forth around the park -- if your trip is in April then your FP window is approaching -- you really need to nail down your plans to see which rides have the longest waits or should get a FP for and for what time -- you don't want a FEA FP for 4:00 when you have a dining reservation at coral reef at 4:20 -- too far apart and you will be late for your reservation -- this is where having the map in front of you helps to visualize your plan.

I'm so torn. I know eating at CRT is a once in a lifetime experience, but will my two yr old even remember it? Probably not. I know everyone else is ok with skipping it. I just feel like we should eat there because we were blessed enough to get the reservation and it is so unique. As I am typing this out, I have come to the realization that I will probably drop CRT.
If this is a possible once in a lifetime trip then keep the reservation- if you know you will be back when the little ones are older then cancel and leave it for another trip, if CRT is for your 10yo then definitely keep it, because if you wait to go the next time she might be too old and will not care about the princesses. Even if it is for your 2 yo and she will do well with meet and greets then keep it. She won't remember, but you will remember her excitement and thrill of meeting them and the pictures will be priceless. I think some feel it is an over priced restaurant for the food that is served BUT you are paying for the experience of being in the castle and meeting the princesses.

It is so tough to find a plan that suits all the kids of various ages. Take a deep breath - try to find one thing that will make each child feel like it is their special trip whether is be a show ride or restaurant and leave it at that.

As for illuminations -- for us if we skip it it isn't a huge upset. Now if we couldn't see HEA at MK this trip i would be heart broken.

I don't use touring plans, but I've been going to WDW since long before it existed, when WDW was quite a bit smaller.
For curiosity, I did look into it once, and was not impressed. Same thing with the crow predictors. Take their information with a heavy dose of skepticism.

As you stated, weather can often be a bit unpredictable. And that has a big impact on things at WDW.

I do like that you are using the unofficial guide. That's a better source of helpful information. For me, having a strategy is more important than having a plan. Knowing the location of bathrooms say, is far more useful than planning to be in a specific place+time.

Just recently, we visited a big museum. It was our second visit. Last trip, I made some effort to keep everyone moving along, but we kept taking too long at every exhibit. It was a toss up. In the end, we were a little sad we missed a few things, but I also didn't like being the drill sergeant. We did put some mental energy into thinking about what we didn't see.

This time, I didn't do that, and we saw even less. BUT, we had time to digest what we saw. In the end, that is probably more valuable. We didn't think at ALL about what we didn't see, because we never brought it up.

Mind, it is nearly impossible to go to WDW and NOT feel a little pressured to keep moving. Sometimes the pay off is huge. (like getting in line to see a show vs. arriving too late and missing out.)

That said, when we go to WDW, we often take a very opportunistic approach. We know which ride get long waits (called e-rides). If we see an e-ride with a short wait, then we take advantage of the short wait. Actually, if an e-ride has a short wait, we'll ride it three times in a row! or MORE!

When all the e-rides have long waits, we'll give some love to the attractions with shorter lines, and enjoy that opportunity.

In you shoes, I'd probably drop one of the princess meals. The castle is the cooler of the two meals, but also the more pricey. If you do go....it is worthwhile to have the kids dress-up. (but maybe only for the meal). Try not to pay a ton for your costumer, and never let anyone wear uncomfortable shoes at WDW. Just sneakers.

also, in the dress up category....a can of glitter hairspray goes a long ways and only costs $2.99. Much cheaper than the princess boutique. Call it "pixie dust" and it is very magical. Just don't spray it indoors, or you'll have a mess.

Last edited:
Just so you know if the real reason is the aquarium ... you party is too large to sit next to the glass (they are usually 2 or 4), and may even be too large for booths across the way. Seems many larger groups sit higher up at tables .... and having sat there it's a completely different experience from our times by the glass.

No way I would miss Illuminations if you have never seen it. I would look at one of the restaurants in the World Showcase with her and book it earlier. Here are some photos from review by EasyWDW and you can see most tables are not close to the windows. It's not like in the Living Seas where the windows are walls of glass. And there is no viewing area to go watch the fish.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/coral-reef-new-menu-review-at-epcot-52917/

cvfsdhdff56.jpg

"“Every seat is a good one for watching” may be a bit of a misnomer as some number of guests will need to crane their heads one way or another for a glimpse inside the tanks."

cvfsdhdff68.jpg

review_coral_reef_epcot_summer_2017-14.jpg
Very helpful. Thank you

One piece of advice that might be helpful is to select your pace (put at relaxed or very relaxed as traveling with children in a stroller w/ a crowd is never quick and then select minimize walking) Print out a map from easy WDW for each park - this way you can select your attractions in the order that will make the most sense for your touring to minimize traveling back and forth around the park -- if your trip is in April then your FP window is approaching -- you really need to nail down your plans to see which rides have the longest waits or should get a FP for and for what time -- you don't want a FEA FP for 4:00 when you have a dining reservation at coral reef at 4:20 -- too far apart and you will be late for your reservation -- this is where having the map in front of you helps to visualize your plan.

If this is a possible once in a lifetime trip then keep the reservation- if you know you will be back when the little ones are older then cancel and leave it for another trip, if CRT is for your 10yo then definitely keep it, because if you wait to go the next time she might be too old and will not care about the princesses. Even if it is for your 2 yo and she will do well with meet and greets then keep it. She won't remember, but you will remember her excitement and thrill of meeting them and the pictures will be priceless. I think some feel it is an over priced restaurant for the food that is served BUT you are paying for the experience of being in the castle and meeting the princesses.

It is so tough to find a plan that suits all the kids of various ages. Take a deep breath - try to find one thing that will make each child feel like it is their special trip whether is be a show ride or restaurant and leave it at that.

As for illuminations -- for us if we skip it it isn't a huge upset. Now if we couldn't see HEA at MK this trip i would be heart broken.
Awesome advice thank you. I was just wondering where I could get a good map of the parks. Most of the ones I see are too small to really decipher what is what.

Lol our ten years old would be ok skipping CRT. His ADR is Trex.

Lol our ten years old would be ok skipping CRT. His ADR is Trex.
Ha Ha!!! I was thinking all your kids were girls. Easy WDW has park touring plans for each park and estimated wait times based on crowd level-- those are somewhat helpful to read through. There are so many ways to tour but the main point is to enjoy your time with your family. I was stressing myself out trying to figure out a way to fit in everything but realized something have to give -- so because of that change in heart certain rides are not on the must do list, some of the dining reservations are now cancelled -- so that we can have a somewhat relaxing trip.

Here is the link to the park maps:

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/cheat-...t-sheets-maps-touring-plans-and-wait-times-4/

You can do 2 ADR's at Epcot in one day. On 2 of our trips I had to Akershus for breakfast and then we did Rose & Crown for dinner around Illuminations. I do agree that Illuminations is a not to be missed show but I also understand scheduling meals and children. I ask the girls what they want to eat and even give them one veto each (they negotiate with each other I suspect). We have only eaten at Corel Reef once and found it to be good (not great) but with those aquariums oh boy did those win. In June I will be eating lunch there (and I found a ton of times available).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter