EPIC SPLURGE Trip - Planning in the Waiting

friedela

DIS Veteran
When we vacation we typically are pretty budget conscious, we never go into any kind of debt and we are pretty frugal with how we spend. But since we were planning to go back in 2021 and that is looking like a complete no-go, it just means more time to SAVE 💰 and more time to plan a truly EPIC SPLURGE TRIP for when things calm down! Our next trip we will definitely be staying on property (usually we book cheap but horrible VRBO's), eating out every single meal (usually we cook and pack lunches), and next time we will do a 2 week trip instead of 7 days... the sky's the limit and my list is growing daily :love:

Anyone else planning an epic splurge trip as a reward for waiting? Tell me all about it! :)

Last edited:
Not to Disney, but yes I’m planning a splurge trip too! I’m not as optimistic as you about 2021 so it will be an amazing 2022 hopefully

Well, we have not been on a family vacation with the four of us since 2016. We moved, we did mini renos and because my kids are in separate Universities their schedules never really lined up a family trip was impossible to make happen.

Now it looks like we will have the entire month of May 2021 open to all of us and I am getting more and more excited about a possible trip somewhere. I am really hoping to do a Disneyland/Hawaii double dip. My kids (20 and 23) went together to Disneyland in late April but my last Disney fix was a quickie trip to the Christmas party in Dec 2015 so I am in severe withdraw! Part of me wants to do a full on WDW 10 day long extravaganza but I do not think my DH would go for that. I think that a trip somewhere next year is really looking like a possibility though and that has me super excited!

We have splurged already by booking a 7 day DCL cruise over Christmas 2021. I am expecting to not go on our March 21 cruise. Plus I have a bunch of airline credits to use up!

2021 is definitely out for us since we are using our vacation budget (plus a lot more $$$) to have an in-ground pool installed, backyard completely redone and our kitchen plus master bathroom completely gutted and rebuilt.

But we promised my youngest in 2018 that we would go back to WDW before her 10th birthday, July 2022. So 2022 will probably be when we go back to a Disney park, either WDW or Paris Disneyland. November 4th will decide which one...

Well, we have not been on a family vacation with the four of us since 2016. We moved, we did mini renos and because my kids are in separate Universities their schedules never really lined up a family trip was impossible to make happen.

Now it looks like we will have the entire month of May 2021 open to all of us and I am getting more and more excited about a possible trip somewhere. I am really hoping to do a Disneyland/Hawaii double dip. My kids (20 and 23) went together to Disneyland in late April but my last Disney fix was a quickie trip to the Christmas party in Dec 2015 so I am in severe withdraw! Part of me wants to do a full on WDW 10 day long extravaganza but I do not think my DH would go for that. I think that a trip somewhere next year is really looking like a possibility though and that has me super excited!
Sounds amazing!

We're planning "The Year of Disney" for 2022-2023. Our big vision is to use the airline vouchers, Air Miles dream miles, Disney giftcards, Bonvoy points, vacation leave, dollar value of expired Disney tickets, etc that we can accumulate in the meantime to make the following happen:

- 4 platinum annual passes (two adults, two kids)
- trips in May, July (for 2+ weeks), end of August, Cdn Thanksgiving
- stay over Christmas and New Years
- March Break and Easter 2023
- any Starbucks gift cards we can accumulate for breakfasts and lunches

Now that's a lot of trips and our grand vision will likely get scaled back based on how well we do with points and miles over the next two years or so... Our main goal us to make as many trips as possible in a 365 day period, for as close to $0 cash outlay as possible!

I've looked at how we can do this during school breaks and historic PD days to minimize lost days at school. Looks like it's possible by missing 10 days.

It's really fun mapping it out and strategizing, and imagining all the possibilities and researching potential places to stay... I'm just being zen knowing that lots of things will change in the meantime re Disney, air travel, hotels, etc.

Would love any feedback anyone has to share!

We have Aug 2021 booked, modified our 2020 dates. We have our usual 2 weeks booked. Currently have Coronado booked for a space saver. But hope to maybe switch to a deluxe or CBR depending on what room rates look like. Maybe CL too!
I sure hope we can travel by summer 2021! But travel warning has to be lifted from non-essential travel so we’re able to get travel Medical insurance. Not going anywhere without it, esp to the US.

I love the idea of this thread :) It’s fun to hear what splurging looks like, and to imagine a time when we can safely travel again.

I don’t know what our next trip will look like, because I feel like it’s hard to imagine when we’ll feel safe traveling again. But it’s still fun to dream!

For us, staying at a disney resort is normal. Splurging is more about where, not if, we’re on property. I hope next visit, we stay somewhere along the skyliner route. Riviera looks really nice, if it’s just my family. If we can convince some/all the grandparents to come along, I’m guessing we would stay at AoA. They’re different kinds of “splurges” for us, they’re just different enhancements from our usual. I’m also still dreaming about visiting another park. Tokyo or Paris, probably.

My favourite splurge from a past trip was what I think of as the ultimate split stay: 3 nights at AKL, 4 at GF, and 3 at BC. Each hotel is beautiful, you’re close to each park through the trip, and there’s time for at least one down day at each resort to explore. I still dream about how perfect that split was!

Oh, I'll play... I have a two week cruise booked for Jan/Feb 2022 and am planning to book an 8 night for April 2023. If my cruise for this December gets cancelled by them and I get OBB or something for it, I will probably add a 6 night to that 8 night as well. These are not Disney cruises.

But I also want to do a two week Disney trip, my intention would be to stay at CBR or POP for the first 10 - 11 nights and then switch to Contemporary, or maybe Poly, or maybe Yacht Club since we like it so much for the last 3 or 4 nights. We'd get 10 day tickets with water parks, and make sure to hit all the rides we love. Hopefully TRON will be open by the time we'll be able to go, and anything else new by then. I'm torn between a late October/early November to get to do both parties or an April/May trip to get nice weather and probably add on an after dark party or an early morning magic like we did last summer. Kiddo wants a light saber so we'd do that, and I want an R2D2 style droid because we got him a BB model last summer. So yeah, we'll have to be saving up :) Only sit down I can see wanting to do is Cape May buffet because we love seafood.

Now, I'd love to be able to do that next year but I'm not sure it'll happen. Perhaps by Oct/Nov things will have improved so we can do it though! I'll use airmiles, and disney gift cards, and anything else to help off set the costs.

December 2021 - 8 nights to WDW

Will still stay at POP for the skyliner and have 5-day passes.

Splurges would be: Christmas Party, Tony's Dining Package for parade on party night, Candlelight Processional Dining Package, Cirque du Soleil show and eat at one of the nice/new restaurants in DS.

Earlier this year my husband announced, out of the blue, that he wanted to retire early at 57. In 4 years. Umm.. what?! That takes planning in advance. Not short notice. I spent almost a month pouring over our budget and finances. Then covid hit. I can't see that happening. We are going to need to talk about that.

In the meantime, since Sept I have been cashing out both our air miles into a separate account for a vacation. There is $1,770 in it right now. Starting January I will add the PC Optimum cash backs into that account as well. He's always wanted to visit Ireland, as well as take an Alaska cruise. I figure the year he turns 57 we should do one of these. Two weeks in the U.K. or the cruise plus time in BC and drive home to Ontario. A really good vacation to make up for still working. I'll be continuing my part-time job when schools open up as long as I'm physically able to. Maybe 20 years if all.goes well.

Retirement...

I remember when I first started with the provincial government. I was 23. Each year I would get my pension statement and I would literally want to throw up when seeing how long I had to work until LOL

Fast forward, Sept. 6 is my 20-year anniversary with the same Crown corporation.

My December 2, 2028 non-penalized retirement date ain't so far away now! At the ripe ol'age of just-shy 52, I won't be retiring LOL

Sorry, I just totally just hijacked this thread!

Earlier this year my husband announced, out of the blue, that he wanted to retire early at 57. In 4 years. Umm.. what?! That takes planning in advance. Not short notice. I spent almost a month pouring over our budget and finances. Then covid hit. I can't see that happening. We are going to need to talk about that.

In the meantime, since Sept I have been cashing out both our air miles into a separate account for a vacation. There is $1,770 in it right now. Starting January I will add the PC Optimum cash backs into that account as well. He's always wanted to visit Ireland, as well as take an Alaska cruise. I figure the year he turns 57 we should do one of these. Two weeks in the U.K. or the cruise plus time in BC and drive home to Ontario. A really good vacation to make up for still working. I'll be continuing my part-time job when schools open up as long as I'm physically able to. Maybe 20 years if all.goes well.

I love watching my optimum/air miles account grow too! I’m hoping mine will be over 1000$ by the end of the year, but that might be too ambitious...

Well I was planning on a DCL cruise but I have this credit on NCL for last March ‘s Cruise that got canceled and must be used by the end of 2021 ,so thinking 2 weeks in Switzerland and then an NCL cruise out of Rome in the fall of 2021.

Dreaming of vacations...❤️

potential splurges
May 2021 Alaskan cruise Planned and I have very low confidence we will take it. 50/50? Kinda sad about this one because it’s with my parents and my mom has mid stage Alz. Will have to think about what we do if it cancels.
New Year 21-22 7 day Eastern Carribean cruise planned. That may be an all out upgraded adventure for my son who will be finishing his 8th grade year if other trips get cancelled in the meanwhile
2022 Disneyland and Aulani + Maui?? Or Disney World + some other adventure. I’ll have the option for 300 DVC points if I don’t rent any out. We’ve never spent that many in one year 😬

we cancelled a trip to Ireland this year also for our 15 year anniversary. Have to squeeze that in too

Originally I was planning to get an AP in 2021, and celebrate my 50th with Disneyworld's with a family trip, dh trip and a girls trip.

Not sure what we'll do when we finally can go again. Kids are getting too old to stay onsite unless we get 2 rooms, and I'm not splurging on a 2 bedroom villa at DW prices!! LOL We were going to splurge on some of the extra magic ticket events this past trip, so we'll see what kind of extras they have there. We're done with the splurges on food there - other than some awesome snacks and a few restauraunts, we like to splurge on relaxtion time at the pool instead!

I think we'd keep our next Disney trip as usual (since it's pretty much paid for) , and save the splurging for my bigger trailer I want. Ha ha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter