Episode 9 moved to December release

I think Coco is a cool concept and I even have faith in the execution. But I just feel it won't resonate with the mass audience which is unfortunate. Purely speculation though

I don't think we will have another Good Dinosaur here (man that movie was just plain bad). Not sure how they messed up a movie about cute animated dinosaurs so bad.

Coco, could be another Pixar hit because of its "originality" if it has the same original, emotional story that the Pixar classics like Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 1 did (that got them famous).

The problem is, even though Pixar makes (or used to) more adult-oriented stories, people still see animated movies as "kid movies".
So, it needs to appeal to the adults who also want to bring their kids, not sure if a movie that takes place in the "land of the dead" where there are animated skeletons running around is "kid friendly" (at least young kid friendly). Whatever the message, the images just could be scary to some kids.

The problem is, even though Pixar makes (or used to) more adult-oriented stories, people still see animated movies as "kid movies".
So, it needs to appeal to the adults who also want to bring their kids, not sure if a movie that takes place in the "land of the dead" where there are animated skeletons running around is "kid friendly" (at least young kid friendly). Whatever the message, the images just could be scary to some kids.

Hey you never know. My three year old nephew watched and loved The Nightmare Before Christmas this weekend, but he still won't watch Moana because it's "too scary" (he can't even get past baby Moana saving the baby turtle). :confused3

I think Coco is a cool concept and I even have faith in the execution. But I just feel it won't resonate with the mass audience which is unfortunate. Purely speculation though
Looks like we're all in the same boat here. I'd add that the commonly themed Book of Life (without bothering with the Book of Life/Coco controversy - just pointing out that both have the common thread of telling a story through the Day of the Dead with characters travelling to the Land of the Dead while focusing on music, family and Mexican folk art) made about $100 million in the US. Book of Life, however, did not have the benefit of the Pixar name, Disney marketing, or a Thanksgiving release - so numbers are taken with a grain of salt. I'm curious how Coco does overall and look forward to seeing it - but I'm not going to say I'm in the majority there.

As for moving Episode IX's opening date - I guess I'll just have to rearrange all the plans I already had for May and December 2019. *checks calendar* Okay - that was easy.

I don't think we will have another Good Dinosaur here (man that movie was just plain bad). Not sure how they messed up a movie about cute animated dinosaurs so bad.

Coco, could be another Pixar hit because of its "originality" if it has the same original, emotional story that the Pixar classics like Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 1 did (that got them famous).

Looks like we're all in the same boat here. I'd add that the commonly themed Book of Life (without bothering with the Book of Life/Coco controversy - just pointing out that both have the common thread of telling a story through the Day of the Dead with characters travelling to the Land of the Dead while focusing on music, family and Mexican folk art) made about $100 million in the US. Book of Life, however, did not have the benefit of the Pixar name, Disney marketing, or a Thanksgiving release - so numbers are taken with a grain of salt. I'm curious how Coco does overall and look forward to seeing it - but I'm not going to say I'm in the majority there.

As for moving Episode IX's opening date - I guess I'll just have to rearrange all the plans I already had for May and December 2019. *checks calendar* Okay - that was easy.

I really like the concept and I want it to succeed (the Day of the Dead vibe is something I've always been interested in) but some of the concerns above is what worries me about it being successful at the box office

Probably why they decided to attach "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" to that film instead of airing it on TV like they originally planned. I think that short alone will help put Coco above The Good Dinosaur on he numbers.

As for the box office in general, there are some analysts predicting that a massive bubble burst could be coming soon for the entire industry (in 2018 possibly). I wouldn't be shocked if this does happen given the amount of tired and unappetizing sequels and spinoffs ALL the studios are putting out. We're already seeing signs this year of the summer box office being the worst it's been in 10 years. I know it's happening cause I have to yet to see one single movie this year in theaters. And last year I know I only saw 3.

wonder if that is why they are featuring some of the more silly/funny parts (like the dog chasing the bone, etc.) to be more kid friendly. Hope they don't go too far in that direction though

Probably why they decided to attach "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" to that film instead of airing it on TV like they originally planned. I think that short alone will help put Coco above The Good Dinosaur on he numbers.

As for the box office in general, there are some analysts predicting that a massive bubble burst could be coming soon for the entire industry (in 2018 possibly). I wouldn't be shocked if this does happen given the amount of tired and unappetizing sequels and spinoffs ALL the studios are putting out. We're already seeing signs this year of the summer box office being the worst it's been in 10 years. I know it's happening cause I have to yet to see one single movie this year in theaters. And last year I know I only saw 3.

The picture industry really is getting lazy. Sequels and reboots. Even The Force Awakens was a remake of A New Hope.

I rarely go to the cinemas anymore.

Again, there has been a slowdown at the box office except for Warner Brothers and Universal. Those two studios are on fire and hugely profitable. They release some expensive films but most are moderate to low-budget films that do blockbuster business. Universal has been releasing micro-budget thrillers like Split and Get Out that cost $5 million or less and have each grossed HUNDREDS of millions worldwide. Warner Brothers is on a hot streak not seen in a long time with Wonder Woman sucking up all the oxygen this summer with a budget $40-50 million less than the average Disney/Marvel film and...OMG..."It"!!!!...this thing is a world wide box-office phenom on only a $35 million budget. "It" has made more in it's first 5 days domestically than Cars 3 has during it's entire run...and Cars 3 has a rumored budget of $200 million. Which brings me to Universal's Despicable Me 3 which has just sailed past the $1 billion mark worldwide on a budget of just $80 million! Can you imagine Disney pulling anything like that off with that small of a budget on an animated film. That's not even counting the Despicable Me 3/Minions merchandise which is on fire. Cars 3 merchandise is reportedly sitting on shelves...once hot but now apparently not since so few went to see the film.

Again, there has been a slowdown at the box office except for Warner Brothers and Universal. Those two studios are on fire and hugely profitable. They release some expensive films but most are moderate to low-budget films that do blockbuster business. Universal has been releasing micro-budget thrillers like Split and Get Out that cost $5 million or less and have each grossed HUNDREDS of millions worldwide. Warner Brothers is on a hot streak not seen in a long time with Wonder Woman sucking up all the oxygen this summer with a budget $40-50 million less than the average Disney/Marvel film and...OMG..."It"!!!!...this thing is a world wide box-office phenom on only a $35 million budget. "It" has made more in it's first 5 days domestically than Cars 3 has during it's entire run...and Cars 3 has a rumored budget of $200 million. Which brings me to Universal's Despicable Me 3 which has just sailed past the $1 billion mark worldwide on a budget of just $80 million! Can you imagine Disney pulling anything like that off with that small of a budget on an animated film. That's not even counting the Despicable Me 3/Minions merchandise which is on fire. Cars 3 merchandise is reportedly sitting on shelves...once hot but now apparently not since so few went to see the film.
I'm going to be the one to argue despicable me 3 underperforming. Yes it did break a billion but what is it supposed to do? Overseas it's not doing minions numbers and the fact that it stalled so much here in America that it won't get past Sing is extremely noticeable. It's still a huge success don't get me wrong but it's not performing THAT well or at least compared to minions or despicable me 2
Also the budget is only that because animation was outsourced to France just an FYI. With Illumination, Sony outsourcing for both emoji and sausage party, warner doing australian and Canadian studios for its toons and dreamworks outsourcing captain underpants to Canada is not good for the animation industry. We may be counting too much before it goes through

The picture industry really is getting lazy. Sequels and reboots. Even The Force Awakens was a remake of A New Hope.

I rarely go to the cinemas anymore.

Correct.

No new ideas...no new character/story development...

Over reliance on the box office in the "developing world" and trying to capture the attention of "the no attention span" generations...

The future does not look bright for movies. I'm thinking more "epic" tv like game of thrones might be the way to go...

I'm going to be the one to argue despicable me 3 underperforming. Yes it did break a billion but what is it supposed to do? Overseas it's not doing minions numbers and the fact that it stalled so much here in America that it won't get past Sing is extremely noticeable. It's still a huge success don't get me wrong but it's not performing THAT well or at least compared to minions or despicable me 2
Also the budget is only that because animation was outsourced to France just an FYI. With Illumination, Sony outsourcing for both emoji and sausage party, warner doing australian and Canadian studios for its toons and dreamworks outsourcing captain underpants to Canada is not good for the animation industry. We may be counting too much before it goes through

I think the consensus is that DM3 did "underperform"...

But I don't think that it will stop 4 and I actually enjoyed that one more than most. Minions may have oversaturated the franchise.

Correct.

Over reliance on the box office in the "developing world" and trying to capture the attention of "the no attention span" generations...

The future does not look bright for movies. I'm thinking more "epic" tv like game of thrones might be the way to go...

especially as home theaters get better and better (and cheaper and cheaper) ... so unless a movie truly benefits from being on like a 30 foot screen or from being watched with a giant group of likeminded people why pay $15/person to see something that I can watch for much cheaper in a much more comfortable setting (and likely with better food and drink) just a few months later if the viewing experience is the same?

Also be interesting to see how things develop with streaming (especially with Disney's) if they just release movies there as well as the theater at the same time. If I know I get Star Wars Episode IX (for example) at home the same day it comes out in the theater, you better believe I would sign up for that service

Correct.

I think the consensus is that DM3 did "underperform"...

But I don't think that it will stop 4 and I actually enjoyed that one more than most. Minions may have oversaturated the franchise.

It did? By what measure? Domestically, it's plausible a case could be made for mild "underperformance"" at $263 million(still the biggest animated hit so far this year). Globally, it's impossible to call DM3 anything but a box office triumph at a gross well over a billion(and still growing) and an $80 million budget.

Disney would kill for those numbers. They got them in 2016 with Zootopia and Finding Dory at 2x and 3x the budget, respectively. Their first Disney Princess Musical since Frozen, Moana, didn't even get close...off by over $400 million.

Understood about outsourcing the animation...and by the way, I think this Despicable Me and Minions and Sing and all the other Universal/Illumination films are mediocre at best. But profits are profits and my point stands that Universal is in much better shape(especially their animation division) than Disney.

To highlight their dominance, you use Sing as a bar of success. Another cheappie from Illumination it went on to beat Disney's first Princess Musical since Frozen(Moana) this past holiday season again with less than half the production budget. Sing was an overperforming, unqualified success...just like their Secret Life of Pets just months earlier. Add to that Universal's recent acquisition of a rebounding DreamWorks Animation(The Boss baby anyone?) and you have the dominant animation company in the business. Disney and Pixar's most formidable foe in it's history. And that's not even including the implications this will have on the on the rivalry between Disney and the Universal parks.

It did? By what measure? Domestically, it's plausible a case could be made for mild "underperformance"" at $263 million(still the biggest animated hit so far this year). Globally, it's impossible to call DM3 anything but a box office triumph at a gross well over a billion(and still growing) and an $80 million budget.

Disney would kill for those numbers. They got them in 2016 with Zootopia and Finding Dory at 2x and 3x the budget, respectively. Their first Disney Princess Musical since Frozen, Moana, didn't even get close...off by over $400 million.

Hence the quotes...it's all relative.

Studios want more and more out of each sequel...but the reality is that most sequels decline in take predictably. As much as fans like familiar characters...they don't want to be bored by them.

Disney has theirs coming too...already started with some marvel...

Frozen 2 won't get more than 1...Star Wars 8 is going to come in way under 7

And that's my point...not only does Disney "have it coming"...it's already arrived. It's been biting them harder in the butt than their competitors Universal and Warner Bothers. There hasn't been such an expensive animation disaster like Cars 3 since...well...another Disney/Pixar film from just 16 months earlier The Good Dinosaur.

Hence the quotes...it's all relative.

Studios want more and more out of each sequel...but the reality is that most sequels decline in take predictably. As much as fans like familiar characters...they don't want to be bored by them.

Disney has theirs coming too...already started with some marvel...

Frozen 2 won't get more than 1...Star Wars 8 is going to come in way under 7

well, sometimes the first sequel can do well - especially if the first movie was a bit of a "word of mouth" type movie - but definitely as things go to the 3rd, 4th, 5th film, etc. it is the rare exception that doesn't go downhill

Frozen 2 I am sure will have a huge opening but totals will be far short of the first. I could see SW Episode 8 do close to 7 as I know a lot of people we weary of 7 with the prequels sill in mind, and people have confidence in Rian Johnson and, a bit morbid but, people want to see Carrie Fisher as last time as Leia

well, sometimes the first sequel can do well - especially if the first movie was a bit of a "word of mouth" type movie - but definitely as things go to the 3rd, 4th, 5th film, etc. it is the rare exception that doesn't go downhill

Frozen 2 I am sure will have a huge opening but totals will be far short of the first. I could see SW Episode 8 do close to 7 as I know a lot of people we weary of 7 with the prequels sill in mind, and people have confidence in Rian Johnson and, a bit morbid but, people want to see Carrie Fisher as last time as Leia

I think the last time a disney sequel outperformed was dead man's chest...cause the excellent black pearl was a sleeper hit.

Rogue one was better than force awakens...much...and it "felt" like a classic Star Wars a lot more...most since Jedi...

And it did half of the take and I think a lot of that was the abrams hangover

I disagree with apprehension on TFA...disney put Harrison ford on tv and casually dropped hints that "crazy george was gone" for 3 years...and a "true fan" (of Hollywood money...apparently) JJ Abrams was gonna set things right.

So he transferred the 1977 celluloid to digital...added some cheap new actors...and did cgi to make it look cooler...

Reboot. That isn't a restoration in faith.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter