ESPN Layoffs

I'm going to start off by saying I am not an NBA fan so my thoughts are probably too critical, but the 9 year deal ESPN has with the NBA is absolutely brutal. For those who worked in the financial industry during the crisis, the NBA deal is looking to ESPN like the Golden West Financial acquisition was for Wachovia. A ludicrous amount of money decided upon at exactly the wrong moment that ends up blowing up a relatively strong company not too far down the line.

I'm going to start off by saying I am not an NBA fan so my thoughts are probably too critical, but the 9 year deal ESPN has with the NBA is absolutely brutal. For those who worked in the financial industry during the crisis, the NBA deal is looking to ESPN like the Golden West Financial acquisition was for Wachovia. A ludicrous amount of money decided upon at exactly the wrong moment that ends up blowing up a relatively strong company not too far down the line.
That deal is a big player here. Seeing someone like Ed Werder get laid off is sad. Those are the types of people I like. All of these sports entertainment shows just don't do it for me. I want old style sportscenter again.

That deal is a big player here. Seeing someone like Ed Werder get laid off is sad. Those are the types of people I like. All of these sports entertainment shows just don't do it for me. I want old style sportscenter again.

That's part of my problem too. I liked ESPN more when they showed bowling and world's strongest man competitions more than watching two guys, though more recently women as well, yell and scream at each other and try to be the loudest, most obnoxious person outside of politics on T.V. It just has no appeal.

That's part of my problem too. I liked ESPN more when they showed bowling and world's strongest man competitions more than watching two guys, though more recently women as well, yell and scream at each other and try to be the loudest, most obnoxious person outside of politics on T.V. It just has no appeal.
Right, now I watch college sports and Scott Van Pelt because those are basically the only things I can stand. All of their afternoon shows just kind of suck IMO.

Just heard this...they axe most of their hockey staff (not that they tried much) and a lot of the NFL staff...

Espn is going DOWN...its hard to make an effective counter argument...

...now back to strategies to get be our guest reservations...as you were

I think that was their critical error.

Trying to elevate commentary above sports, instead of the supplemental role that commentary should play.

Perhaps they are going back to that?

I just can't stand that Sportsnation/two people yelling format. What are we watching here?

And yes...the NBA deal is the biggest problem. I can only judge it based on the high income surburbia I live in with kids...

NBA is a good property, but it is not strong enough to build anything around...it's a complimentary package and Needs one or two other strong properties to go with it.

The espn model is just broken. I had it on my tv for roughly the first 20 years of its existence and haven't turned it on since.

Disney has a huge problem here...it can't be overstated.

I've been saying that for awhile...when it stopped being sports and started being screaming heads all day and bball, it became off-putting. There's so much yelling on all the news channels and social media and comment boxes...who wanted it with their sports escape, too?

I think that was their critical error.

Trying to elevate commentary above sports, instead of the supplemental role that commentary should play.

Perhaps they are going back to that?

I just can't stand that Sportsnation/two people yelling format. What are we watching here?

It's too late...here what happened: the corporate bosses rode the gravy train until it literally ran out of track...

They didn't adjust when it started failing...

And yes: I'm suggesting bad management and that past is likely prologue.

I've been saying that for awhile...when it stopped being sports and started being screaming heads all day and bball, it became off-putting. There's so much yelling on all the news channels and social media and comment boxes...who wanted it with their sports escape, too?

Honestly...it's a horrid example of not adjusting to the overall society and it's issues...

Based on what we've seen outside of sports of late, having Stephen a smith scream about the golden state warriors is gonna attract viewers and advertisers?

I would say it's EXACTLY the opposite of the climate.

I am not shocked. I despise when games are on ESPN. Seriously who wants to go to or watch a baseball game at 8pm on Sunday?! They do the same thing with hockey. Only ESPN does it too. I would much rather sports end up on the league specific channels and local stations then have it in situations like now where ESPN pushes games so late to run it on the national market. I also can't stand any of the commentators. It is clear they favor certain teams over the others and honestly watching a baseball game when it isn't on a national channel I don't want to hear how much one team sucks and the glorification of the other. I mean even our local station doesn't do that but at least from my experience ESPN leans heavily in favor of 1 team no matter what they are commenting on.

Honestly...it's a horrid example of not adjusting to the overall society and it's issues...

Based on what we've seen outside of sports of late, having Stephen a smith scream about the golden state warriors is gonna attract viewers and advertisers?

I would say it's EXACTLY the opposite of the climate.

I think its was the mistake a lot of programs made. "if we create controversy and anger, more people will tune in, thus more advertisements"

The public, I'm being optimistic here, has finally grown tired of controversy and constant arguing. (Ironic, I know, since we are on a board where the latter happens frequently). That format is no longer selling.

I am not shocked. I despise when games are on ESPN. Seriously who wants to go to or watch a baseball game at 8pm on Sunday?! They do the same thing with hockey. Only ESPN does it too. I would much rather sports end up on the league specific channels and local stations then have it in situations like now where ESPN pushes games so late to run it on the national market. I also can't stand any of the commentators. It is clear they favor certain teams over the others and honestly watching a baseball game when it isn't on a national channel I don't want to hear how much one team sucks and the glorification of the other. I mean even our local station doesn't do that but at least from my experience ESPN leans heavily in favor of 1 team no matter what they are commenting on.

I agree with you totally...

But I have a problem with the homer local coverage too...it has gotten much worse since I was a kid...

The MLB network is great because they try to promote

NFL is awful because they try to be espn lite...

NHL is good because the Canadians are involved.

Espn has ruined the NBA.

Like I said...BIG problems.

Judging by their not so stellar reporting regarding the New England Patriots, I would say their new arm had become a tool of the leagues themselves. A retooling in that area may not be the worst thing

They don't all favor teams but yes a lot of them do. Dickie V, never gets over his Duke love fest. As for baseball I like most of those commentators, none of them really bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter