Ethical to Switch Travel Agents?

As to if it is fair or not to switch, consider what the travel agent promises when you use them:
  • They will give you $xxxx of room credit
  • They will apply any discounts available
  • They will get you the best deal possible
  • They will make ADRs for you
Now here is the reality, it sounds like your travel agent hasn't lived up to the promise of applying discounts/getting you the best deal possible, so I would flat out send them the offer you have and let them know that you will be forced to switch if they can't get you the same deal or at least explain why there is such a substantial difference in cost, because perhaps there is something in your vacation that is not on the offer you received that you are overlooking. Let them know you don't want to switch, but that you can't ignore that large of a difference.

Also, as others have said, if the TA has access to your MDE account, change your password immediately and you should never give out your passwords to anyone, they can handle ADRs without that.

I am not sure that is so. The discounts dates available to the TA were not working for the OP. There are agaencies that can offer more due to the volume of business they give DIsney, and the number of rooms they can secure. That is not the same as not living up to the TA promise, but is the reality of a small business trying to compete with a very large bUsing SS. I do nto think it is unethical to switch TA's but I dont think it is fair to say that the reason is the TA was not doing her job.

That’s what I thought. So in reality it’s not in the best interest of the TA to get you that discount if they are only looking at the short term vs. developing a long term relationship with a customer.
I suppose you could look at it this way...but 10% of $4K is $400 more than 10% of zero. I personally would expect the TA to consider the future - repeat bookings by this client, positive recommendations...

So we are booked at full rack rate with what appears to be no hope of getting better.

Have you asked your TA if she can get the better rate? My TA told me to let her know if I saw something (including AP rates) that was lower and she'd let me know if she found lower rates. But they may not automatically do it because it could cause issues with your reservation and they'd want you to know in advance of that (e.g., if there are limitations on new promotions for days, numbers of nights, etc.). My TA would never make any changes to any of my bookings of anything without letting me know in advance.

So in reality it’s not in the best interest of the TA to get you that discount if they are only looking at the short term vs. developing a long term relationship with a customer.

This is a really good point. I've been working with my TA and her agency for many years. I keep going back to her for even small trips where she won't get much commission but it gets her credit with the agency for keeping a client which is good for her and for the firm since we do larger trips as well. And those are the types of TAs who will be good for you in the long-run. If they're not interested in a relationship, they're not really the right kind of TA IMO.

Whatever you decide, please DON’T cancel your original reservation until you have a CONFIRMED booking, with reservation number you can link in MDE, from the agent with the exclusive convention rates.

The exclusive-rate agency has given you a quote ONLY, and availability is not guaranteed until you actually book and pay your deposit. It may well be the case that no rooms are available on the dates you want. The agent may keep trying in hopes of finding you the rooms you want, but until you have that confirmation number, nothing is set in stone. In the end you may be very glad for your original reservation.

It sounds as if you have a wonderful family vacation planned, and I hope you have a fantastic time no matter what!

When you go car shopping, you're ultimately going to go with the one who saves you the most money. You wouldn't "compensate" the other salesman because he spent time trying to sell you a car. This is part of business.

This is only equivalent if the TA has simply provided a quote. OP's current TA did more than "spend time trying to sell" the vacation. The TA booked the vacation, and also booked several ADRs for a large group. She spent time doing that; and that is time that some TAs won't (or don't) put in on behalf of the client. I agree she deserves some amount of compensation if the OP decides to cancel and rebook with another TA - especially if the OP keeps those ADRs since the same may not be available to book now by the new TA.

OP - since you had your TA do ADRs, another thing to consider is whether you were expecting your TA to also schedule your FP+ for the group? And if so, will the new TA do that for you?

Enjoy your vacation!

When you go car shopping, you're ultimately going to go with the one who saves you the most money. You wouldn't "compensate" the other salesman because he spent time trying to sell you a car. This is part of business.

Good analogy except in this case, the OP has actually booked with the first agent who has also spent time making ADRs for her too. So not a totally equal comparison. Better would be if the salesman spent time finding you just the car you want, researched financing, set up future service appointments. You actually purchase the car but you have x amount of days to cancel the contract. Then you find the same car for a better price & you cancel. I think actually having booked with the first agent is what makes it different.

Good analogy except in this case, the OP has actually booked with the first agent who has also spent time making ADRs for her too. So not a totally equal comparison. Better would be if the salesman spent time finding you just the car you want, researched financing, set up future service appointments. You actually purchase the car but you have x amount of days to cancel the contract. Then you find the same car for a better price & you cancel. I think actually having booked with the first agent is what makes it different.

You're right. I didn't realize that it was already booked.

Wow, thanks to all for the great information, tips and things to consider. Another question about this if anyone has experience. If we go with the convention type booking, it straddles two months. So the way their bookings work, we would have what they call a split stay and subsequently two reservations for each room (6 total res #'s). We are getting the dining plan with the reservations and pan on adding memory maker. Any idea how a split stay and multiple res. #'s would affect things like dining plan credits, fast pass bookings etc.? Anything else I need to consider?

Wow, thanks to all for the great information, tips and things to consider. Another question about this if anyone has experience. If we go with the convention type booking, it straddles two months. So the way their bookings work, we would have what they call a split stay and subsequently two reservations for each room (6 total res #'s). We are getting the dining plan with the reservations and pan on adding memory maker. Any idea how a split stay and multiple res. #'s would affect things like dining plan credits, fast pass bookings etc.? Anything else I need to consider?

Are you getting the dining plan with each reservation? Not sure how it works with the TA exclusive, but normally you have to buy tickets in order to add the dining plan. So, for example, you would buy 1 - 6 day ticket with a single reservation to add dining. If you want a dining plan for both hotels with a split stay, you will need to buy a ticket with each reservation. That is usually much more expensive. Something to take into account.

Yes we plan on having the dining plan and park tickets for everyone for the length of stay all booked through this certain TA. We will not switch hotels, this is all at the Poly in the same rooms. It just happens that the travel agent deals stop at the end of the month and start again on the 1st of the next month so that is why they have to book two reservations for each room. Kind of a pain. I just want to make sure it doesn't make other aspects hard to deal with.

I believe you can add dining without tickets. You will need to purchase the tickets with the first stay. Dining plan credits expire at midnight of check-out day, so you will need to plan your dining appropriately (a 2-credit meal will need to use the extra credit from the same “leg” of your stay and I believe you’ll have to spend any remaining credits from the first stay on your “changeover” day before credits from the 2nd stay can begin). A split stay also means potentially you could have to change rooms.

Enjoy your vacaction!

I believe you can add dining without tickets. You will need to purchase the tickets with the first stay. Dining plan credits expire at midnight of check-out day, so you will need to plan your dining appropriately (a 2-credit meal will need to use the extra credit from the same “leg” of your stay and I believe you’ll have to spend any remaining credits from the first stay on your “changeover” day before credits from the 2nd stay can begin). A split stay also means potentially you could have to change rooms.

Enjoy your vacaction!

No, you have to add tickets to add the dining plan. The exception is if you have a package booked with an AP discount. Copied from the booking page:

Dining Plan

To add a Disney dining plan—offering the flexibility and convenience to enjoy prepaid meals and snacks throughout Walt Disney World Resort—you must have a Disney Resort Hotel Package (room and theme park tickets).

Changing rooms would not be good. The TA seems to think we can stay in the same room though. But, having the dining plan be split up could be a huge negative because of our plans for some character dining.

Yes we plan on having the dining plan and park tickets for everyone for the length of stay all booked through this certain TA. We will not switch hotels, this is all at the Poly in the same rooms. It just happens that the travel agent deals stop at the end of the month and start again on the 1st of the next month so that is why they have to book two reservations for each room. Kind of a pain. I just want to make sure it doesn't make other aspects hard to deal with.

If it is the agency that I think it is, their deals typically are good for five days past the end of the deal. At least that has always been the case when I have booked with them. You might want to check with them because then that way you won’t have to have two reservations.

No, you have to add tickets to add the dining plan. The exception is if you have a package booked with an AP discount. Copied from the booking page:

Dining Plan

To add a Disney dining plan—offering the flexibility and convenience to enjoy prepaid meals and snacks throughout Walt Disney World Resort—you must have a Disney Resort Hotel Package (room and theme park tickets).

You can have a room only reservation with the dining plan and no tickets. It can only be done over the phone though. I have had my ta book it for me so I know it is possible. We did not have AP's at the time either.

Just a few FYI/clarifications:
So the way their bookings work, we would have what they call a split stay and subsequently two reservations for each room (6 total res #'s).
No, actually they don't. That's how the DIS refers to it, but to Travel Agents and venues simply consider it consecutive reservations.
We will not switch hotels, this is all at the Poly in the same rooms
You probably won't switch rooms, but this is never, ever, ever guaranteed.
No, you have to add tickets to add the dining plan.
Ticketless package eliminates the requirement for, well, tickets as part of tge package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!