EVC

Mish

DIS Veteran
Was wondering how many bring their own. Is it hard when you are flying? Do you have to make arrangements ahead of time. Any input would help.
Thanks
Michelle

I've only flown once with my ECV, but it was so easy. I did call the airline (United) and let them know that I would have a mobility device. I also had my rollator with me. We checked the rollator with our luggage (no charge for the rollator). I rode to the gate (much easier than being pushed in a wheelchair by a skycap). When the staff opened up the gate for check in I let them know that I had a scooter. It was tagged.

When boarding started I was the first on board. I rode to the entrance of the plane and left my ECV there. At the end of the flight my ECV was returned outside the door of the plane. We went to baggage claim and retrieved our luggage and the rollator.

My DH said "Wish I'd know earlier how easy this would be."

Yep, @arminnie is right - that's exactly how it works when I fly with mine.

Most airlines want you to call ahead - depending on the airline, they may ask you about the batteries in your scooter, so be prepared with that info. Check the airline's website first; there should be information there about how they handle mobility devices in general, and also how they handle batteries. My particular scooter has an easily removable battery, so I take it off the scooter, and it travels in the main cabin (in the overhead bin) with me in a travel bag.

Allow extra time if you are (like me) flying through an airport where you have a connecting flight - you will often find that your scooter comes off the plane fairly early, but it may take time for it to get "upstairs" to the jetway outside the plane. If you build in a bit of extra time between flights, you don't have to worry if it takes the ground crew a few extra minutes to get your scooter to you.

Last but not least: be (mentally) prepared for TSA - typically they will ask you to turn off - and then get off your scooter (if at all possible) and walk through. They will push your scooter through a gate, and it will be inspected, and "swabbed" separately. Do not leave anything on the scooter - everything besides you and the scooter must go through the x-ray in the bins provided, aside from medical equipment like a rollator, cane, or crutches. If you can't stand for long, be sure to let the TSA agent know that you can walk through the scanner, but will need to sit immediately after; they are usually really good about getting me a chair to sit on while they check the scooter.

I don't hesitate to fly at all - it really is quite easy, and I love bringing my own personal mobility device with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!