Evening / late night visit tips and advice?

dukeybootie

Earning My Ears
Just upgraded to a Flex Pass for the family (from the So Cal Resident pass) and wondering what the best way to enjoy DL and California Adventure after 7pm would be. Usually we visit in the morning and early afternoon only so I imagine going after dark is a very different experience. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated, including trips with and without the kids (age 3 and 6). Thank you!

If you can, check out Carsland at night. Just to walk around in the evenings with all the neon lights light up, and the Cadillac mountain range all glowing... it is probably one of my favorite places to be after dark. If you don't have the kids, I would also recommend riding the Incredicoaster right before the pier closes for WOC. It is a magnificent experience in the twilight/evening hours. For DL, I enjoy riding the Matterhorn in the evenings despite the jerkiness of the ride. Also, getting ice cream from Gibson Girl and sitting outside on Main street with all the lights...... it is my childhood all over again and makes me teary eyed every time.

It sounds like you're a local? People watching - grabbing ice cream or a churro and then just finding someplace to sit and taking in the sights. Carsland is great for that, and I get a kick out of being in Pixar Pier and hearing the people scream on the Incredicoaster :rolleyes1

Someone on here mentioned about getting in line for Peter Pan while Fantasyland's closed for the fireworks - they were able to see the fireworks from behind the castle, though the whole experience took around 2 hours. But if you're by yourselves and can come frequently, it sounds like something cool to do!

If you can swing it, the WOC dessert party is pretty awesome. Sit at a table with cheese, fruit, dessert and a perfect view of the show... no being squished in like sardines for a solid hour or two and then not being able to see because the person standing in front of you is 6'2" or has their kid on their shoulders.
Previous poster mentioned Carsland, turning on the neon... every night right around sunset, they play "ShBoom" and turn on the neon all down the street. You kind of have to be there, but it's awesome.
Favorite rides that seem different at night: GotG (just for when they open the doors at the top before you drop); IC, BTMRR, Matterhorn

Yep, I am a local. Thanks for all the input!

Question about WOC -- if it starts at 9pm, what time does Pixar Pier shut down? Wondering specifically when to line up for Incredicoaster if we don't mind missing the show.

P.S. Cruising Time (ShBoom) at Cars Land is definitely one of my favorite things at the park. My little guy's eyes lit up and he danced with my wife on the street under the lights the first time he experienced it...really was magical, even for a crusty cynic like me =)

autopoia at night is totally different, the neon bill boards are lit up, the green surroundings actually have a better visual in the dark and the loop by the submarines is also nice

Casey junior at night is also fun, more of a dark roller coaster ride than a touristy view of the all the vegetation

Dumbo at sunset, try to catch peter pan weather vane in the clouds.

jungle cruise, more romantic at night as is storybookland.

fireworks on big thunder

Small world facade at night

NOS really slows down at night if it is fantasmic free

the train has more of a mystery at night and everyone is tired, so the trip seems to be really mellow.

autopoia at night is totally different, the neon bill boards are lit up, the green surroundings actually have a better visual in the dark and the loop by the submarines is also nice

Casey junior at night is also fun, more of a dark roller coaster ride than a touristy view of the all the vegetation

Dumbo at sunset, try to catch peter pan weather vane in the clouds.

jungle cruise, more romantic at night as is storybookland.

fireworks on big thunder

Small world facade at night

NOS really slows down at night if it is fantasmic free

the train has more of a mystery at night and everyone is tired, so the trip seems to be really mellow.

I totally forgot about Jungle Cruise and Storybook Canals at night. Those are both super neat experiences. Almost like a different ride but not. They really have a great atmosphere in the dark.

If you can stay until the last hour DL is open, do it! Lots of rides will be walk ons or close to it. Also it’s just cool walking down the paths and only having a few other people on it with you.

Regarding Pixar Pier, they have been running the Incredicoaster till 10 min before WoC starts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!