Ever been fired and loved it?

bobbymcco

Earning My Ears
I work in management with some really nasty people, and I got fired today. It feels like a 1,000 pound weight has been lifted. I also have an interview on Monday for a management job where I'm the lead candidate, so I'm not sweating this. were you happy, or did it turn out badly?

I work in management with some really nasty people, and I got fired today. It feels like a 1,000 pound weight has been lifted. I also have an interview on Monday for a management job where I'm the lead candidate, so I'm not sweating this. were you happy, or did it turn out badly?
:thumbsup2 Good for you! I totally understand the 1,000# thing. I've only ever been fired once and although the job wasn't that bad, I still made out better without it. I ended up staying home for 8 years, homemaking and raising DS. Happiest 8 years of my life. I hope your next chapter turns out the same. (Oh, and I hope you got a tidy severance package too!!)

I think I've only quit two jobs - one to go away to school, the other for a job at a company I really, really wanted to work for. That company did a mass layoff. Next job "let go", next job laid off, next job laid off, next job temp, retired, last job fired. Yes, relieved :).

Not quite, but I was recently in a temporary position that was a small promotion. I interviewed to fill the position permanently, and I didn’t get it. The supervisor came to my office to offer feedback on my interview and why I wasn’t chosen, and it was at that point I realized how relieved I was that I didn’t get it. I think I just felt obligated to apply and interview, then I subconsciously tanked it. Absolutely no regrets.

never fired but should of been often 22-36, I some time wonder if i was fired if life might not have been better, prolly not, but still i wonder

I've never been "fired" per se. I have been "not hired" from a temp to hire job. It worked out okay.
Pretty much the same with me once. I was supposed to be hired after the 12 weeks temp trial. I was making more per hour than any other job I had ever had and really needed to work but grew to absolutely hate the place. The weekend of the 11th week, I literally sat on my bedroom floor & cried because I didn't want to go back on Monday. But I told myself to 'suck it up' and get back to work. Sooo the following Friday, the manager called me into the office & told me they were cutting back and the position I was doing thru the temp service was to be divided up between some of their full timers. He kept apolgizing all the while I had to keep a big smile off my face I was so happy to be let go, I nearly skipped out of his office, lol. Things worked out fine.

I had to think about this and yes I was fired from one job I had. I was working at a cafeteria and we all quit as a group and went to an aircraft factory to work again food service but it was great since we only had the one lunch group to take care of. I was married and expecting so I was going to quit but the boss came up to us during a break and said she had to let someone go since we really weren't all that busy. I said I would go. As far as the company knew and unemployment I was laid off. Didn't go back to work until the kids went to school and stayed with that company for 25 years.

I was laid off and while I was angry and upset when it happened, it was nice having 2 months off that wasn’t a maternity leave and I ended up getting an awesome job.

First of all congratulations!

I can relate, well in a different way... I submitted my resignation from a job that I really disliked no wait that I really hated. I knew how that board would react and told my team members that I didn't expect to remain for the full 30 days notice that I'd given. Sure enough two days later the President & VP called and ask to meet with me, when they showed up and let me know they are letting me go immediately. I was 100% ready, had my final check and vacation payout calculated and ready to go. They seemed a bit shocked at my positive attitude. Then one asked what I was going to do. They had no idea I'd accepted another job. I looked at my office window at my near brand new truck and said well since you're letting me go early, I'm going to pick up my wife and kids and we're going to Disneyland. I wasn't joking at all, we left on our last Disneyland trip 2 hours later. Biggest stress relief of my entire life as I walked out those doors and said goodbye and good riddance. In the time I've held my new position for 16 years 5 other Directors just like me have come and gone, I feel sorry for them but... not that much.

Years ago I worked an overnight job in finance (global futures market). I was the only one there and certainly took advantage of it. The job had its pros and cons like any but it was really hard to have a social life because of the hours.

Anyways, after a few years, I started coming in later and later. It would have never been detected except one morning before I arrived the trading machine malfunctioned (not due to anything I could have done). Regardless, boss (who was one of the biggest jerks imaginable) did some research on it and realized I hadn't logged into one of the machines until about 1am.

I was dismissed. I was happy because I wouldn't have to do those hours or work with him anymore but obviously sad for the loss of income. But, overall, I was pleased.

Not fired, but the bank I worked closed its doors back in 2011, I have been a stay at home wife, mom & grandma since, and I LOVE it.

Yes, I was, and yes I did. I had medical issues and ran out of time off to deal with them and my employer wouldn't extend any additional time to me, even unpaid. My choice was go back against medical advice or lose my job. I decided the stress from the job was probably part of my medical woes to begin with and had someone drive me over on the last of my days off so I could collect my stuff. I figured that pretty much told them what I thought about their ultimatum regarding my health or my job. ;)

Best thing that could have happened to me. That pressure from that job was dreadful and I wish I would have left it a year earlier.

Yep! I was laid off after working at the same company for 10 years. They had recently gone through an acquisition and I was on the wrong end of it. I stayed there for so long not because it was great but they had great health benefits and I was scared honestly to make the move somewhere else. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I got a severance package plus unemployment and I was able to be home for the first first time with my kids during 2 months for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I started a new job that January that paid more and cut my commute by 2 hours a day. Eventually I was able to work from home 1 day a week. When that company started to go south a few years later, I started looking to get out of that job and now I’m currently working from home 3 days a week and only commuting 2. Its made a huge difference in my life. Being laid off was the catalyst for my current job. I believe everything happens for a reason even if you can’t see it at the time.

Well, in my case, my company was sold and over the course of the first 6 months of new ownership 58 of the 110 employees were let go, I was number 56. I guess the months of being told every day I wasn't doing what I needed to do when I was doing exactly* what I was told to do was like a 1,000 pound weight lifted off my shoulders, but it was replaced by a 1,000 pound weight of "how am I going to pay my bills?" My son had just started college, and my daughter private high school. But the 32 weeks severance pay did cover my 4 days of unemployment, so looking back 14 years later, it worked out.

*These comments came in daily multi-department meetings, I guess to publicly "document" they had tried to steer me on the "right course". But a couple of folks from other departments who didn't need their jobs and were close to retirement were very vocal in telling my boss in those meetings...."but that IS what YOU told him to do". You find out who your friends are in tough times.

Not fired... I was a research associate at a not-for-profit, paid via a grant from an industrial partnership. I was there for 2.5 years and it was the end of the funding, but the partnership and grant were renewed, so everything was fine. Three weeks later, the funding company pulled the grant and closed their doors, so I had no funding and therefore no job. I was concerned; I carried the health insurance for our family and of course there'd be a loss of income. My boss had to let me go on the last day of the funding, but kept me on the payroll until my sick and vacation time was used up, so I got paid for about 6 weeks- and kept the health insurance for those 6 weeks. It was almost 6 months before I found another job. It was hard, and really scary to think about paying the mortgage, having no health insurance, etc., BUT it was a relief. The job was a long drive away- I had to leave the house by 5:30am to be to work by 7:30am, and it was 6pm before I'd be home at night. DD was at dance so she and DH didn't get home until 8:30pm, so I'd pretty much throw dinner on the table, clean the kitchen, and go to bed. It was a great job and I really enjoyed working in Bar Harbor, but the hours were obnoxious and stressful, and really complicated our family life, so in the long run, losing the funding was a good thing.

Not fired, per se. I was hired at a place that had two openings and two weeks in they decided to combine the two positions into one and I was laid off. I didn’t like the atmosphere in the office so I was not disappointed. The next job I got after that was in the same field as my previous long term employment, and it was a decent place to work, but it was a subsidiary of a larger company and they decided to pull the plug on the whole thing after a few years and the entire company was shut down. I was part of the final close out team for that one. I was happy not to have that commute anymore.

About 3 1/2 years ago I was - and while it was a HUGE financial struggle for a few months, I really was not happy to begin with but needed work so I didn't quit. I was also fired unfairly, so received some retribution for that. I've been with a new company since then and while it has its moments, I am far happier than I was in the 2 1/2 years with that company.

I put in notice at one job due to hating everything about my life working there and already having a job lined up. While I was verbally giving my boss two weeks notice (work one more week and then not return when I got back from a week out of town) a coworker called down and verbally berated me over something I had absolutely no control over and could not help and my boss saw exactly why I was handing in my notice and he said I didn't have to work out my last week he'd put it in as a termination and pay me out for two weeks. This actually worked out better for me because they paid out vacation pay on every cheque so I was going to be taking the week off on my own dime. Instead I got to stay home for a week and de-stress (I literally had hives from being so stressed out) and then go to Vegas for a week and get paid the whole time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter