Ever been fired and loved it?

My last job. I knew by about June/July that I would be starting to look for a new job after I came back from vacation at the end of September. But at the end of July, I was laid off. They decided to downsize and lay off a bunch of people. I did start looking for a new job right away, but the one I got was the first one I applied to after that September vacation. It was like the universe knew I needed to get away from that stressful and shady place and to have a bit of a break, so it removed me from the bad situation and gave me a few months to get over the stress. I have been with my current job almost 12 years now and love it here! And the company did fold a few years later after several rounds of layoffs. I was lucky to be in the first round!

I've been laid off, down sized, job re-allocated, terminated, etc. more times than I can count. I don't know if I suck at my work that bad or if I just have really bad luck picking jobs. Right now I'm at a job I like, but the company is going bankrupt so...

One time I had been working part time prior to maternity leave for third child. I liked my job but it was a long way from home and I was due to come back from maternity leave and my day care provider couldn't take on my third child. I was in a panic only day care I could find that I actually liked was going to cost more than I was making but I carried the insurance and because it was working for the insurance company it was MUCH better insurance than husband was offered so it was to our advantage if I worked. So sucking it up I found a daycare that was acceptable where I'd be clearing a small amount each week and still have the "payout" of the benefits. I called to let them know when I'd be back. This was when I was told I had to come back 5 days or not at all - totally illegal but what could I do beside say not coming back. Day care issue gone and I collected unemployment for 52 weeks. I definitely made out financially on this one.

Another time I hated the job. There wasn't enough work, so they expected me to come up with job leads and get new clients and oh, yeah, I wasn't in sales. I wasn't being paid to do sales and I'm not a good sales person - don't have the personality for it. There was a reason I was doing what I was hired to do. I started goofing off and they let me go. Unemployment for six months, but this led to a new career. I'm much happier now.

I haven’t.....but my husband has. It was just a crazy situation where he was and though I was devastated, it was like he was a new person. He had interviews that same day and had a new position within 2 months. Also, they paid him out fully for a month so it didn’t really hurt us. Now he works from home as a salaried position, so it really couldn’t have worked out any better for him. He is so much happier and was even able to come off blood pressure medicine. I think sometimes when you can’t find it in you to quit, the Lord just makes it happen. Lol

Dh was removed from his position as store manager at a national restaurant chain many years ago. I won't say which one, but whether or not it's open is used as an indication of the severity of natural disasters.

We celebrated, then he slept for a week straight. It was an awful job, he was on duty 24/7 for years. Even when they told him he had to take his required vacation days, he was still on duty, just on the phone instead of in the store. They literally required him to be in the store for all 3 shifts on Christmas day. He still has some lingering health issues from the stress and exhaustion - and a nasty case of tennis elbow from flipping omelets.

Sometimes these things happen for us instead of to us and it sounds like that is your situation.

I was laid off once from a job I hated. I was super stressed at the idea of not having a job though. But it worked out fine, I found a new job pretty quickly. I think everyone is replaceable at any job but then I also think that unless we are being overcompensated for our work we can also find a new position pretty easily as well.

Once I got past the panic of no longer having a job, I was so relieved when I was let go. To put it simply, that job caused me panic attacks, I cried every morning and evening, I had to be medicated, and I ended up back in therapy. It kicked my anxiety up so bad that I am still dealing with it 2 years later as I have not been able to find the same stable point as I had before the job.

In a round-about way, getting laid off from a previous job years ago is what ended up resulting in my wife making partner in her firm. So while the experience of getting RIF'ed was not pleasant, the overall result was better for our family in total.

My first job out of high school in 1976. It was cleaning offices and a store. I always finished early and would find extra things like to clean to fill the time. After working for a month I went in one day and couldn't find my time card. At the end of the shift the manager gave me my final check and told me I wasn't needed anymore. There was a day person who happened to be an adult and me. The reason I was given was that he had to support himself and I was a young girl and still living at home. I found out later that the company did this every few months. The day person was the only minority person working there. He wasn't the best worker and when the place got pretty dirty again they would hire an evening person for a short while and then let them go. I then found a full time job in factory that I didn't like but kept for almost a year. My family was moving out of state and I went with them, worked my way through college and became a teacher.

I work in management with some really nasty people, and I got fired today. It feels like a 1,000 pound weight has been lifted. I also have an interview on Monday for a management job where I'm the lead candidate, so I'm not sweating this. were you happy, or did it turn out badly?

Awesome attitude. Years ago, I was in a job that wasn't working out. Unfortunately, I grew up with a "stick it out, make it work" mentality that isn't always realistic. I eventually had a meeting with two bosses and all agreed it was time to end it. While I was upset leaving the building, I felt just like you did once I left the parking lot. Huge weight off my shoulders.

I work in management with some really nasty people, and I got fired today. It feels like a 1,000 pound weight has been lifted. I also have an interview on Monday for a management job where I'm the lead candidate, so I'm not sweating this. were you happy, or did it turn out badly?
Fired and it all turned out good.

2 years ago a few of us that had worked for this Board for years were being harassed badly. They were inventing things to try to get us fire d. Would have been devastating as a governmental employe e as you can lose your retirement. My therapist told me to get out of there before they kill me (mentally). I went to our retirement, put in papers to retire in 2 days, went to work the next day with a box and started packing up. My boss acted so surprised and couldn't understand why I was leaving. Amazing how good liars they are. She probably went skipping to her office. 2 years later now that I started getting my social sec last month, with my retirement, I'm now making more money and no travel gasoline, lunches, etc. Oh and my boss got let go shortly after LOL

I have never been "fired for cause" but I have been laid off twice. The first time was from a job I hated. Being laid off was stressful and demoralizing (I won't say I "loved it") but I was really happy not to go back there. I found another, better job reasonably quickly. In retrospect, it was the kick in the pants I needed to leave a bad situation and find something better. However, I still wouldn't say that I loved the process.

Not fired per se not renewed for an additional assignment. Retired asked to return part-time to train my replacement by the el numero one head honcho. When they came back the person I had gone to bat for with the BOSS to get promoted to take over our section who was true to his colors and had rigged the selection of my replacement refused to allow me to train the individual. In fact poisoned whatever relationship I could have had with replacement by undermining. This person went on to do everything in their power to make me leave, I did not I fulfilled my agreement with #1 with the exception of training the individual. At one "discussion" that we had I told the person "if you don't want me here then just say so and I will leave" knowing full well that they lacked the stones to make that call in fear of repercussion from #1 as that was who my agreement was with and yes I would have put that in my letter of resignation to #1. Then went on to limit my product numbers so that when it came time to re-new my deal with #1, it was not renewed.

In hind sight I stayed not only that year but one more prior for a total of 2 years too long at a job I simply loved, but hated the people whom I had to work under those last 2 years. When I walked out that door for the last time I was sad but the next morning when I woke up not a 1000# weight but 1 million metric ton weight had been lifted off of my shoulders and I never stood taller. Nope no regrets, none, nada, zippo.

Now for the rest of the story I was "retired" exactly 4 months, the worst 4 months of my life and went back to work and I have a better position now then the one I was not renewed for. #winning (Thanks Charlie)

My 2 cents

I walked into work today and was told that the company was terminating the contract so my job will be over by March. It made me think about this thread. However as scared as I am about money, I am very happy to not have to work this awful job much longer.

I walked into work today and was told that the company was terminating the contract so my job will be over by March. It made me think about this thread. However as scared as I am about money, I am very happy to not have to work this awful job much longer.

I'm sorry the contract was terminated, but am happy for you that you're feeling some relief.

My husband was let go from his corporate job of 25 years on Friday. To say I'm very, very bitter is an understatement. He was 5 years away from retirement. Has had 25 years of good performance reviews and has never been disciplined. Unfortunately, the tariffs hit his industry hard and his company is making deep cuts. They have already let 1200 people go and another 1000 by the end of the year.

Fired on the spot for punching a customer(a big guy) in the jaw. Apparently you can't do that, we could say WHATEVER we wanted to customers there though- it was a crazy place to work. In my defense, he drew back his fist and was gonna hit me first, my mama didn't raise me like that- she said don't let NO ONE hit you first- they might knock you out. LOL Of course, this was a part time job at Pep Boys in Baltimore City(I grew up there), so that may explain it. haha
Best thing that happened, found a full time MUCH better job. :)

I was laid off from a college job(Union) on campus cause I graduated. Economy was tough so I was on unemployment for a while and was able to complete most my masters I took as close to twelve credits as possible as I looked for enmployment.
and I got to the track. so it was one of those Geico win, win, wins.

I don't know about "loved it" but I had one layoff that actually ended up being good for my career. It was a large layoff (most of the division) where for some reason we all got extra severance pay and two month's notice where we weren't required to show up unless called in. I think we also got full health insurance (without any required contributions) for 90 days beyond the final termination of employment. I was called in one day by my old manager, and I spent maybe 4 hours archiving and documenting my work just in case they needed it. Also - many of the people who weren't laid off were upset because they more or less wanted out after an event like that and would have preferred to get those extra benefits. It did feel kind of good to get back to working, even though I probably wouldn't have gotten in trouble for saying no. I guess I could have claimed I was at a job interview.

We also got access to company computers/printers at a special building, back when I didn't own my computer or have home internet. We also got job search advice classes. There was a bonus that we were promised before the layoff, and we still got it. I found employment in less than a month and was working the next calendar month at a new job. They pay was higher, I got a small bonus, and I was double-dipping for maybe 4 weeks. I did end up buying my first cell phone.

I kind of moved in between my house and staying with my parents during that month or so. My answering machine was set up at my home, so I had to at least check it, although I could do that by calling in. Between interviews I mostly ended up playing video games or just goofing off.

I'm sorry the contract was terminated, but am happy for you that you're feeling some relief.

My husband was let go from his corporate job of 25 years on Friday. To say I'm very, very bitter is an understatement. He was 5 years away from retirement. Has had 25 years of good performance reviews and has never been disciplined. Unfortunately, the tariffs hit his industry hard and his company is making deep cuts. They have already let 1200 people go and another 1000 by the end of the year.

I'm sorry that happened to your husband. That close to retirement, I can't imagine the frustration and anger at that situation. I hope it works out though!

I've been laid off, down sized, job re-allocated, terminated, etc. more times than I can count. I don't know if I suck at my work that bad or if I just have really bad luck picking jobs. Right now I'm at a job I like, but the company is going bankrupt so...
I'm sure its not you.

I was once working at a public company that was in real bad shape.
So interviewer asks me why I want to leave the company I'm at and I said.
Technically, I cannot tell you today, I might be able to tell you tomorrow.
I was pretty aloof because I had already secured another job. dude wound up hiring me, never really sure if he got what i was saying, I figured he X me out with that answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter