Ever experience a perfect pump?

That’s not nearly as much fun as trying to guess where it is going to stop.

Lol, that is true! I rarely go inside unless the credit card machine is broken on the pump, but always went inside in ye olden days when I only had cash to pay. Of course gas was only 99 cents then too...

Yeah, I was caught off guard when an attendant insisted on pumping my gas during a road trip through NJ. It wasn't a crisp, uniformed team of smiling young attendants eager to wipe my windshield and check my oil and tire pressure, like you see in movies from the 50s. It was a bitter old dude who reluctantly got up out of a chair and who wouldn't let me near the pump. It seemed like some sort of union gig or something. I'm not sure why, but I would have preferred to just pump my own. I'm not used to having an attendant, although I vaguely remember them from when I was a kid.

This.

Not a union thing. I doubt if any gas attendants in New Jersey are in a union.

It's actually against the LAW to pump your own gas in NJ. But for some reason pumping your own diesel fuel is OK.

That is completely bizarre. :confused3

That's the way NJ voters like it. Every five years or so some bill is raised that proposes lifting the ban against self-service, but the state legislators overwhelmingly vote it down.

I admit I LIKE the full service in NJ. I lived there when I started to drive, and when I'm in NJ with a half-tank or less I usually fill up.

That's the way NJ voters like it. Every five years or so some bill is raised that proposes lifting the ban against self-service, but the state legislators overwhelmingly vote it down.

I admit I LIKE the full service in NJ. I lived there when I started to drive, and when I'm in NJ with a half-tank or less I usually fill up.
Is there any explanation for the diesel thing? :confused: That's that part that's weird, not the full-serve part.

Is there any explanation for the diesel thing? :confused: That's that part that's weird, not the full-serve part.

This is the only thing I can find. But it gives no reason as to why.

(c) The provisions of this chapter [the ban on self service] will not be applicable to:

1. The operation of marine service stations;

2. The operation of service stations for the fueling of aircraft;

3. The dispensing of diesel fuel; or

4. The operation of employer gasoline stations that are solely for the use of a company's employees and are not open to the public.

Go inside and pre pay, you can just tell them an exact amount on which pump and the pump will stop there.
And have to walk all the way into the store and then have to talk to another human being? Ew, no thanks. :snooty:
:laughing: Yeah, if fancy is another term for huge PIA. All fuel must be pre-paid, even at full-serve. You guess here too but the wager is whether or not what you paid is enough (or too much) to actually fill your tank. If paying by cash you have to go in and get a refund if you’ve overestimated. I rarely ever pay by cash but when it does happen that way for some reason it makes me irrationally angry. :furious:
I remember those days of having to prepay. We called them the 90s. :cool2:

And have to walk all the way into the store and then have to talk to another human being? Ew, no thanks. :snooty:

I remember those days of having to prepay. We called them the 90s. :cool2:
:laughing: Granted, I do lose track of time, but pretty sure it was 2018 (last spring) when we were in California, the only choices were pay-at-the-pump or pre-pay inside. We were trying to use up American cash to fill the rental car before drop-off and it took three tries to get the freaking needle to Full.

:laughing: Granted, I do lose track of time, but pretty sure it was 2018 (last spring) when we were in California, the only choices were pay-at-the-pump or pre-pay inside. We were trying to use up American cash to fill the rental car before drop-off and it took three tries to get the freaking needle to Full.
No, you’re right. If paying with cash it’s common to have to prepay. I was just thinking from the perspective of ‘when was the last time I was primarily paying for things with cash instead of card?’

No, you’re right. If paying with cash it’s common to have to prepay. I was just thinking from the perspective of ‘when was the last time I was primarily paying for things with cash instead of card?’
:cheer2: Score one for me!! I feel like this could be the beginning of a streak...

Fancy. Here in the States we just have to take our chances and hope we can afford the final tally. Every fill up is a game of petroleum roulette. :drive:
I don't understand this at all. If you are pumping yourself, just stop it where you want it. If in Jersey or Oregon, tell the attendant how much you want. I use a credit card and don't care a bit what number it stops on.

I don't understand this at all. If you are pumping yourself, just stop it where you want it. If in Jersey or Oregon, tell the attendant how much you want. I use a credit card and don't care a bit what number it stops on.
As do I. It was a tongue in cheek comment not meant to be taken literally.

It’s a game of sorts, at least for me. How close will the pump automatically stop to an even number? A $20.00 pump is rare.
I can’t speak for the OP but I’m assuming it was meant to be a fun observation and not a sign of frustration when it doesn’t stop at an even amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter