Ever flown into LAX and out of San Diego?

HeatherinNC

Mouseketeer
We are planning on spending our January vacation split between L.A. and San Diego. I was looking into flying from our home into LAX, and then flying out of San Diego to go home. Has anyone ever done this or something similar? At this time, the tickets are the same price as if we were flying in and out of LAX. The only worry I have is dropping the rental car off at a different location than it was rented from. But I would love to hear from ya'll!
Thanks in advance!

We just returned from flying into LAX and out of Las Vegas. There was no difference in price for airfare.

We rented an SUV (10 days) from Dollar. Picked up at LAX and dropped off at LAS. We found the best rate from Dollar and they were the only place that did not charge us a drop-off fee.

Last summer we flew into San Francisco and out of LAX. There was no issue with the rental car. Just make sure you can return it to a different location. That is a very common occurance for them. I think we used Dollar as well.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the rental, I've had to pay an extra $15 dollars before but it I think the rate I had that time was still cheaper. I'd just check around. Not sure what airline your flying, but if your just focusing on Disney and Anaheim area attractions, I'd check into flying into John Wayne, Orange County (SNA) instead of LAX. SNA is wayyyy closer and easier to navigate from. San Diego's is a breeze to get too.

We just returned from the trip you are describing. We flew into LAX and out of San Diego. The airline rate was the same. I think we paid a small fee for the rental car dropoff. We used Thrifty and their rate with the dropoff was still cheaper than some other rental places with no dropoff fee.

I'm flying into SNA and out of SAN and I found even with the drop charge the car was cheapest through Thrifty. Just do a comparison on Travelocity or Expedia.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd prefer not to fly into LAX, but we are going to do some other sights in L.A. prior to Disney. We are ending our vacation in San Diego, and since the flight price was the same, I thought it would be easier to fly out of San Diego than driving all the way back to LAX. Thanks again!

Depending on where you are visiting, you could also look at Burbank airport. It is a much easier to navigate airport than LAX. However, it is small, so they do not have lots of direct flights - yuck.

Good luck,
Jennifer

In 1998 we flew into San Diego and out of Orange County (SNA). We paid a drop-off fee for the rental car (Alamo).

We did that earlier this month. We flew into LAX and out of SAN and the best car rental price we found was with Thrifty. They charged us $35 for the drop-off fee. It was worth the price to NOT drive back to LA. We drove from LA to San Diego on a Sat (6/11) morning and the traffic was very heavy.

We are leaving next Thursday for the same trip you have described. We fly into LAX and leave from San Diego. I have a rental car reservation with Thrify and even though they do charge a dropoff fee, they are still cheaper than any other I found.

Have fun
Joan

I am a bit concerned about trying to navigate 2 different airports(and 2 car rental places) I have never been to, especially LAX, I'm sure it is massive. But it just made more sense to do it this way, rather than backtracking back to LA.
Joan, have a great trip and if you can, how about an update on how it went? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter