Ever see anything totally shocking and unexpected on a cruise?

Have to say here, the problem was yours. Nudity at a nude beach is only weird if you make it weird. In fact, my personal experience is that folks at nude beaches are way less creepy than some you find at regular beaches.

And what exactly was offensive about little kids swimming in the buff? I can't imagine anything "shocking" about a nude kid at a beach I KNEW was clothing optional.
Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone

Last edited:
Our last night in the MDR we noticed out server wasn't around much. It was the Asst server, and given that they'd both been so attentive and friendly, we thought that was odd. It turned out that another table in his section was in concierge and decided to dine in the room, so he had to serve them there. That surprised me, because I thought they would have had concierge people to do that, but he was running back and forth to/from the kitchens with their order, so he wasn't present in the dining room for he rest of his guests. It's a nice perk for the concierge people, but that was hard on the rest of the wait staff. Anyway, we still got great service, but I hope they tipped him very well for that hard work.
We dined in our room last May and our server was from the room service staff not our regular server.

We dined in our room last May and our server was from the room service staff not our regular server.

Perhaps it depends on how many concierge guest decide to dine in their room on one particular night. If all of the concierge rooms eligible to do so, all decided to dine in the rooms on the same night, I would guess it would be a challenge to find enough servers.

Have to say here, the problem was yours.

Why is it a "problem" that someone has a different opinion or view on nudity, whether adult or child?

And what exactly was offensive about little kids swimming in the buff? I can't imagine anything "shocking" about a nude kid at a beach I KNEW was clothing optional.

Did the poster say it was offensive? This is a thread about "shocking and unexpected" and not offensive. As for it being shocking to see nude kids on a clothing optional beach, that's not something most people think about when they hear a beach is clothing optional or nude. Adults running around in the buff jumps to mind, not kids.

Just got back from 13 nights on the Magic.
I saw many things this time around, but the one incident that just ruined my day was with a teenage boy maybe between 14-16 yrs old.
We were waiting for a couple sandwiches from Daisy's De-lites, there were maybe 3 people ahead of us. The young girl went, then there was this boy in front of us. He walked all the way down the line with the girl when she ordered. The poor server thought this kid was with the girl and turned to us to ask what we wanted, as I went to say the kid was next, this brat begins snapping his fingers at the server. Then he is tapping the glass to tell the server what he wants, the look on this poor servers face. He was appalled, I was appalled. The server says to him "you need to tell me what you what I can't see from back here". He mumbles what he wants and then of course there's no thank you or anything, he just walked away. The server came back toward us and I just told him I was so sorry, and he said its ok, no problem. I told him no one should be treated this way ever. I wanted to follow this kid back to his parents and let them know the good mannered child they were raising. It was a hard pill to swallow knowing how hard these men and women work to take care of us on these ships.

Why is it a "problem" that someone has a different opinion or view on nudity, whether adult or child?

Did the poster say it was offensive? This is a thread about "shocking and unexpected" and not offensive. As for it being shocking to see nude kids on a clothing optional beach, that's not something most people think about when they hear a beach is clothing optional or nude. Adults running around in the buff jumps to mind, not kids.

She turned tail and left because two soon-to-be-naked kids was "enough" for her. It sounded to me like she was shocked/offended or found the nudity to be offensive. Which is her prerogative. But it sounded a bit judge-y which as I pointed out is odd when it was indeed a clothing optional beach.

As far as what comes to mind - hoards of topless girls? Naked old men? This is totally an American construct. Kids swim nude all over the world without anyone blinking an eye. Moms and grandmas wander the beach topless. Or nude. No biggie.

The best part of travel - assuming you are going to get off the ship - is to see the world from another point of view. If you are going to be shocked by local customs, when they involve nothing more than a bit of skin, why not just stay home?

Just got back from 13 nights on the Magic.
I saw many things this time around, but the one incident that just ruined my day was with a teenage boy maybe between 14-16 yrs old.
We were waiting for a couple sandwiches from Daisy's De-lites, there were maybe 3 people ahead of us. The young girl went, then there was this boy in front of us. He walked all the way down the line with the girl when she ordered. The poor server thought this kid was with the girl and turned to us to ask what we wanted, as I went to say the kid was next, this brat begins snapping his fingers at the server. Then he is tapping the glass to tell the server what he wants, the look on this poor servers face. He was appalled, I was appalled. The server says to him "you need to tell me what you what I can't see from back here". He mumbles what he wants and then of course there's no thank you or anything, he just walked away. The server came back toward us and I just told him I was so sorry, and he said its ok, no problem. I told him no one should be treated this way ever. I wanted to follow this kid back to his parents and let them know the good mannered child they were raising. It was a hard pill to swallow knowing how hard these men and women work to take care of us on these ships.

If, in a few years, DS acts like this, you have my permission - indeed my encouragement - to follow him back to me and let me know. It's takes a village.

Unfortunately a lot of parents would probably get defensive and obnoxious. The apple falling and all that...

She turned tail and left because two soon-to-be-naked kids was "enough" for her. It sounded to me like she was shocked/offended or found the nudity to be offensive. Which is her prerogative. But it sounded a bit judge-y which as I pointed out is odd when it was indeed a clothing optional beach.

You still didn't identify why it is a problem if someone else has a different view on nudity than others. One does not have to be offended by something to want to leave it's presence. They may just be uncomfortable with it, which is completely fine.

As far as what comes to mind - hoards of topless girls? Naked old men? This is totally an American construct. Kids swim nude all over the world without anyone blinking an eye. Moms and grandmas wander the beach topless. Or nude. No biggie.

But for someone who IS from the United States, the idea may be shocking and unexpected based on the way our society has chosen to view nudity.

The best part of travel - assuming you are going to get off the ship - is to see the world from another point of view. If you are going to be shocked by local customs, when they involve nothing more than a bit of skin, why not just stay home?

What the best part of travel is will vary greatly based on an individual's opinion of the matter.

People can try to get outside their comfort zone and experience new things. The poster was perfectly willing to go to clothing optional beach so they were prepared for the possibility of nudity.

They may want to travel and see new things, even if not all the new things are things they are going to want to see. The nudity that was present was more than they were comfortable with, so they left.

If, in a few years, DS acts like this, you have my permission - indeed my encouragement - to follow him back to me and let me know. It's takes a village.

Unfortunately a lot of parents would probably get defensive and obnoxious. The apple falling and all that...

I second that, In fact I'd be grateful to you for doing it as there will be swift and loud consequences that would include apologies to both you and the server.

That being said, I can understand your reluctance to do that as he learned that behavior from somewhere and I'm betting it was at home. Unless the kid has a sign that says follow me if I'm acting like a jerk then I'd be hard pressed to say anything.

Well said.

Up on 13 aft on the Dream - there was a storm in the distance but it wasn't raining on us yet. We could see some lightning strikes far off, but didn't think anything of it, the decks were all open. Suddenly two holes into Goofy golf, my hair stood straight up. I looked at my husband and his too was standing up. We could hear a buzzing sound and I got the sensation that the hair on my arms was standing up too. A crew member appeared in the doorway on the phone, looking quite concerned. DH and I quickly got inside. There were several other adults and children up there, I hope they all got in safe.

I second that, In fact I'd be grateful to you for doing it as there will be swift and loud consequences that would include apologies to both you and the server.

That being said, I can understand your reluctance to do that as he learned that behavior from somewhere and I'm betting it was at home. Unless the kid has a sign that says follow me if I'm acting like a jerk then I'd be hard pressed to say anything.
What a fabulous idea! Perhaps I'll make some cute little shirts for my kids that say something like that!

Seriously, I might die of mortification if one of my kids did something like this and someone had to come tell me, but I would manage to thank the person who brought it to my attention from the bottom of my heart before giving my child a piece of my mind and demanding they apologize.

You never know...it may be something learned from the parents, or it may be something he picked up from friends or even TV. Some parents are awful when confronted, but most of the other parents I know feel like I do. It takes a village. I'm deeply grateful when someone cares enough to speak up when I've missed something. If anyone sees my kids do something awful, you'll get a thank you from me if you let me know. And it's usually pretty easy to figure out which kids are mine, since we all tend to have crazily colored hair (sometimes it even matches). :lmao:

Up on 13 aft on the Dream - there was a storm in the distance but it wasn't raining on us yet. We could see some lightning strikes far off, but didn't think anything of it, the decks were all open. Suddenly two holes into Goofy golf, my hair stood straight up. I looked at my husband and his too was standing up. We could hear a buzzing sound and I got the sensation that the hair on my arms was standing up too. A crew member appeared in the doorway on the phone, looking quite concerned. DH and I quickly got inside. There were several other adults and children up there, I hope they all got in safe.

You were lucky that you ducked inside when you did. When I was I was taking meteorology in flight school, we learned that those events are indicative of coming lightning strike. Ideally, the lightning rods on the top of the funnels would take the bolt, but you never know when you are the tallest thing aft with metal objects in your hand. Glad you were safe.

On the recent PC cruise, there was a lady and her 2 sons on board that had the same dining rotation that our group did. Having sailed with her before, we knew her to be rude and extremely demanding to the crew. Every night, she would order what she wanted to eat the NEXT night so it was at their table waiting on them. Her boys would fling food on the table, throw rolls at each other, etc. She demanded so much fresh pepper that the poor waiter's arm would just about fall off. Her demands got so bad that an officer ended up having to take care of her during dinner so that other people in her dining area got service.

One night, her boys, one teen and one preteen, left the table early. She ate from their plates, the platter of chicken tenders brought each night to their table, 3 entre's she ordered AND topped it all off with 2 lobster tails and butter sauce plus multiple glasses of wine.

She demanded, AT CLOSING TIME, that the crew member in Preludes pop her sons fresh popcorn as they could tell if it wasn't fresh. At this officer pin trading event she cut lines.

I witnessed all of this and more, it is not gossip.
Yikes! On our last cruise we did end up ordering food the night before, but that was due to dietary issues and they needed to have time to modify the dishes if necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter