Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

RideShareRob

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone!

I had the pleasure of driving some wonderful DisBoards members on property recently and I wanted to take a moment to answer some questions and provide information on how Uber at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL works with some FAQ:

1)Are drivers allowed in the parks and resorts for pickup or dropoff?
YES YES YES! For resorts, we can pickup simply by stating we are there for pick up and we get right in. Please wait in front of the lobby entrance. If your resort is not listed below, we may also be able to pick up by your building. Please send a txt because we always assume lobby.

Exceptions:

Coronado: We can pick you up, however you must be waiting at the main lobby entrance upon our arrival. If youre not there, we will be sent to checkin parking and you have to walk over to us. This is the only place we are allowed, however if the gates are open during the day we might be able to get closer to your room.

Caribbean Beach: We can now get in easily. Please wait in front of your building by the loop. Do not wait in the bus stop and be sure your pickup location is accurate since this is a very large resort.At CB, we assume your location is what you pinned on the map ( Barbados, Trinidad, Old Port Royale,etc)

OKW/Saratoga: Assumption is pickup is at the location entered, which may be your building. Do not wait in the bus stop itself.

Dropping guests at resorts is also easy, but you still must be staying there or have a dining reservation.

For Parks, we do not have to pay for drop off or pickup. Again, we simply state we are droping off, or picking up, and we get let right through. Generally speaking, here are the pickup/drop locations for the parks and Disney Springs:

MK: Ticket/Transportation Center, in the parking spaces after the taxi queue. Also: you may choose to walk to the Contemporary and get picked up from there. Drop off at CR does not seem to be any faster but some people do choose to do so.

Epcot: I recommend that you walk to the Boardwalk Inn, and call for a ride from there. (This is a great option if ending your evening by the International Gateway between England and France) We usually sit at the gas station across the street and can have you picked up in a minute or less.

The pickup and drop off area is now located near where the Mears cab pickups are. The area appears to be well signed and barriers put up. Look for the green umbrella. Also, please note that there is now a castmember assigned to this area and your car cannot wait for more than a couple minutes before being asked to leave. Therefore, please wait until you are already in this area before requesting a ride.

Hollywood Studios: We are in the main parking lot, right next to the taxi queue. There will be a white sandwichboard sign for pickup/dropoff.

Animal Kingdom: Walk to the left as you exit, towards handicapped parking and the main parking lot. Where the sidewalk meets pavement is where we will be. Youll see the taxi queue on your right about 100 feet up. To your left about a 100 feet will be a white tent, and directly in front of you will be traffic barriers and the first row of handicapped parking.

DTD/Disney Springs:

Westside: Strawberry lot, next to the taxis.

Marketplace: The old bus loop.

Water parks: theres a drop/pickup spot near the entrance so no problems.

Port Canaveral: No problems. However, the rates coming back will be higher than going out. Generally, a family of four or more will find this a savings over the shuttle services. At the port, there are approximately 60 permitted uber drivers so getting a ride back to Orlando(or wherever) is super easy.

Additional Note: We do not pick up or drop off from bus loops, taxi stands, the side of the road/active travel lanes, or other potentially unsafe locations.

2)Are larger vehicles available for my family?
Yes. As of 8/31/15 when I wrote this, UberXL can carry up to 6 passengers. Expect a minivan or large SUV (I drive a white Buick Enclave..if you get me, say you saw this post!). We are also cheaper than taxis on property. Please do NOT try to put more people in the car than are allowed (4 for uber X, 6 for XL). Carrying more passengers than allowed will void the insurance, you could lose you rider account, and the driver could be deactivated.

3)Can uber take me to/from the airport?
Yes.

4)Who drives for uber at WDW? Will I get a CastMember?
Odds are pretty good that you will get a castmember, or former castmember. I also happen to know a guy personally who works at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek and drives UberX. Having said that, Disney is an obvious place for new drivers to go since it's big and there's always alot of traffic so you'll get some of these and it'll be obvious. If you get a driver you really like, go ahead and ask for our number for future rides. If we can accommodate you, we will.

5a)Can I go a long distance such as Cocoa, Tampa,etc?
Yes. Although we ask that you do it earlier in the day/evening, and contact your driver to make sure it's ok. I once had a run to Sarasota from the Yacht Club which picked up at 7pm. It was an hour and a half out, plus an hour and a half for me to get back. So if it had been too much later at night, I would've had to decline.

5b)Can I schedule a longer ride in advance?

Yes, you can. For long rides, Uber seems to be calling drivers to set that up in advance.

6) Are car seats available?
UberX and UberXL now have options including one car seat.

If you have any specific questions about using Uber at WDW, please feel free to reply to this thread and I'll try to keep it updated. I do want to keep this informational, however questions about how the app works, your account, pricing,etc is offtopic and this is not the venue for that.

Have a Magical Day!
Rob

Last edited:
Just be aware people. There will be no discussion of fares or such. This board does not allow solicitation. If that happens, it's done.

Also wanted to add:

Please only use disney-approved areas. Having us pick you up on the side of the road, near a gate, etc is dangerous! If at a resort, the front entrance for drop and pickup is a must! Some resorts, like coronado, only allow us there

Thanks for this Rob! I am new to Uber and am considering it for our next trip.

Is there anything to know when going from your Disney resort (we will be at POR) to Universal? Also, I've asked this in other section but can't get a definite answer, so hoping you can help! While we can use the Disney wifi to ask for pick-up at the hotel we will not have wifi/data access after that (so during the ride) as we are Canadian and roaming would be extremely expensive. Will this be an issue? I'm hoping not, because if it is we won't be able to use Uber. :(

Thanks again!

The ride is based on the drivers gps in their phone, so once you are picked up, you can turn off your web access. At Universal, youll want to communicate with the driver either via text or phone before turning off the web. That way youve gotten their info and they can locate you easily.

POR is a great resort to pick up at since the security booth is right before the turns to the buildings. Ive never had an issue going right to a guests building there on either the pickup or drop.

For universal, there is one pickup/dropoff area for both their parks and citywalk. This is a very congested area so please do not try to exit the car until the driver gives you the OK. The unloading zone is way around the other side of that island when you first enter and usually the Universal people are out in force making sure the approved zone is the only place thats happening.

I'm also interested in how it works to go to universal. (I'm Canadian as well) We're staying at pop century. I've never used uber before but am considering it for this trip.

ETA can you arrange a pick up time with your driver at drop off or do you need to use the app again later for pick up?

I'm also interested in how it works to go to universal. (I'm Canadian as well) We're staying at pop century. I've never used uber before but am considering it for this trip.

ETA can you arrange a pick up time with your driver at drop off or do you need to use the app again later for pick up?

I think you posted this while I was replying to the previous poster. Pop works the same as POR. Just be sure to let us know if not being picked up at reception.

As for arranged times, thats usually at a drivers discretion. I personally hate that area and I drive myself right back to Disney after. Having said that, cars are relatively easy to get. And if you do have an arranged time, Always do the billing through the app. The insurance from uber only applies to rides done via the app. Never do cash unless its a tip.

Do the drivers have car seats or boosters for kids?

Generally, no.

That does raise a similar issue though:

Seatbelt laws in fl

All front seat passengers are required. And all children under 18. The statute does not say they need a car seat specifically, but if you have one available I am always happy to let you use it.

If going between a Disney hotel and Universal, would it make sense to go to/from one of the Universal resort hotels rather than the main Universal pick up/drop off area for the parks and City Walk? Would that be less congested?

As a related question, don't the Universal hotels have free wifi in the lobby? Would that help the people with non-US cell phones?

Possibly might be better on that. Universal isnt really my thing. Im ex-disney cast. Anyone have any thoughts?

Great thread and thanks for all the info! We used Uber on our last Disney trip and loved it!

A question for our upcoming trip: we need to be at the Animal Kingdom park before opening, by 7:15 am, for a tour. We were told to take a cab by the CM when we booked, since park transportation wouldn't be running yet. We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I read somewhere that drivers don't like to take people between DAK and AKL because the fare is so small. Would Uber work for this?

TIA!!!

What a great thread. Thank you!

I am staying at GFV and going to be foing to Port Canaveral on a cruise in two weeks. I have been trying to search about Uber. My dd and her friends use it all the time in college.

We are a party of two and would live a pre arranged time. I would hate to be stranded and wait longer than I had wanted if they cannot do a pre arranged time. Can I compare Uber prices wih other transportation services I could use?

Is using Uber something that could work for me?

Thank you.

do you need a smartphone to download the app? I have a good cell phone but it's not quite a smartphone and I don't know how to do apps on it, can I just download it from online on the phone? How would it be accessed?

As a single female I am a bit hesitant about using Uber. I have rarely used cabs of any kind because I live in the suburbs. There are 2 or 3 times my upcoming trip when using a cab or Uber might be called for, my question is - where would a single rider sit with Uber? Still in the back like a cab? You didn't mention the water parks but I assume I could get a ride from Typhoon Lagoon to my resort also?

Great thread and thanks for all the info! We used Uber on our last Disney trip and loved it!

A question for our upcoming trip: we need to be at the Animal Kingdom park before opening, by 7:15 am, for a tour. We were told to take a cab by the CM when we booked, since park transportation wouldn't be running yet. We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I read somewhere that drivers don't like to take people between DAK and AKL because the fare is so small. Would Uber work for this?

TIA!!!

I'm surprised they told you that. When i worked at DRC, we had always been told Tour guests would have the buses running. Did you look at the park hours that day? Often, theres EMH in the morning and buses an hour before that starts. If thats not the case, you can certainly use a cab or uber. Short trips arent great, but sometimes its the only option ya know.

What a great thread. Thank you!

I am staying at GFV and going to be foing to Port Canaveral on a cruise in two weeks. I have been trying to search about Uber. My dd and her friends use it all the time in college.

We are a party of two and would live a pre arranged time. I would hate to be stranded and wait longer than I had wanted if they cannot do a pre arranged time. Can I compare Uber prices wih other transportation services I could use?

Is using Uber something that could work for me?

Thank you.

Uber is pretty much an ondemand service. At just about any time on property (even 4am) the wait time tends to be 10 minutes or less. Sometimes it goes to 15 if theres no one up by MK and theyre further down. You can google for more info on things we cant discuss here.

Related question: uberSelect, the higher-end service, is available everywhere on property except the Grand Floridian. If youd like to book that service, I reccomend setting the Poly as your pickup spot, then calling the driver to let him know you are at GF. Shouldnt be a problem and we'd be happy to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!