Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Lyft/Uber drivers: our Lyft driver was followed and threatened by Disney security with trespassing/arrest for dropping us off near our FW Cabin circle :scared: He told us in the future it must be the overflow lot, then proceeded to take his license information. Poor guy had only been here 4 months from Venezuela. I was so rattled by the attitude of security that I spoke to a resort manager in case there was a formal report logged.

Lyft/Uber drivers: our Lyft driver was followed and threatened by Disney security with trespassing/arrest for dropping us off near our FW Cabin circle :scared: He told us in the future it must be the overflow lot, then proceeded to take his license information. Poor guy had only been here 4 months from Venezuela. I was so rattled by the attitude of security that I spoke to a resort manager in case there was a formal report logged.
Joel can tell you for sure, but I suspect your driver WAS trespassing. I think almost all of FW is open only to guests and Disney employees.

Any time you enter any kind of private property, it is the driver's responsibility to know and obey whatever local restrictions are in place. Ignorance is not a widely accepted excuse. But don't worry; he's not going to get arrested. Disney security don't have arrest powers.

We have hundreds of Venezuelan refugees driving for Lyft in Miami. Uber requires a verified one-year driving record, but Lyft does not -- so the Venezuelans all drive for Lyft.

I never carry cash because ... that's why I take Uber/Lyft.

But I always tip in the app.
Same here. For my safety as much as anything.

What's funny too, if I was driving for either, I wouldn't want cash on me. Or wouldn't want it known that I had cash on me. That just seems like it's making you ripe for being robbed. I know I'm in the minority with that, it's been mentioned before. But I haven't changed my opinion on it. I'll continue to tip only in the app and if drivers rate me lower because of it there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not going to change to carrying cash just to increase my rating. I want to feel safe more than I want a slightly higher rating.

Same here. For my safety as much as anything.

What's funny too, if I was driving for either, I wouldn't want cash on me. Or wouldn't want it known that I had cash on me. That just seems like it's making you ripe for being robbed. I know I'm in the minority with that, it's been mentioned before. But I haven't changed my opinion on it. I'll continue to tip only in the app and if drivers rate me lower because of it there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not going to change to carrying cash just to increase my rating. I want to feel safe more than I want a slightly higher rating.

I am the exact same, not having to carry cash is a huge perk of these services for me. I don't think it has negatively impacted my rating, but I am willing to take the ding if necessary.

I'm glad to see that there's several others that don't want to tip in cash. I kind of felt like it's the thing to do after reading this thread, but as I'm from overseas, I wan't to take as little cash as possible and use my credit card.

I'm glad to see that there's several others that don't want to tip in cash. I kind of felt like it's the thing to do after reading this thread, but as I'm from overseas, I wan't to take as little cash as possible and use my credit card.
Two things to watch out for if you're from overseas (which I'm sure you are well aware of...but just for other folks):
  • Exchange rates, and the effect they can have on the actual amount you pay for anything
  • Overseas credit card transaction charges, which can add significantly
For other folks, the cash/in-app tip thing is really not a big deal for drivers, and it's also not going to affect your rating...or even if it does, your rating means very little anyway. I would also say -- based on my now-legendary law enforcement career -- that carrying cash or not doesn't make you any more or less safe...unless you hang a sign around your neck saying, "I am carrying $386.14 in CASH!"

On the ratings question, hopefully the number of drivers who would lower a rating for lack of tip is very tiny. I'd personally like for it to be zero %, but there are a few jerks in any population.

But as a rider, your rating really doesn't matter anyway. I've driven riders with ratings as low at 3.6...and they were perfectly fine and I gave them 5 stars. Drivers are not likely to really pay much attention to your rating unless you are traveling during bar-closing drunk hours.

Any time other than that, the driver is going to be looking mostly at how far we have to drive to pickup, and what class of service (X, XL, Lux, etc) you are requesting.

As far as safety, first of all the chances of you getting robbed at WDW are slim to none.

A potential robber has no way of knowing you are carrying cash unless you advertise. They look more for vulnerability than anything else. If you put yourself in a vulnerable situation, they see an opportunity.

Robbers know that Uber/Lyft drivers don't usually carry much cash, so the likelihood of you getting robbed during a ride is virtually zero. Why would a robber attack 2-3 people in a car when they could just find someone alone on foot? Robbers are dumb, but they're not THAT dumb! If they are going to target a rideshare vehicle at all, they would attack the driver alone in an attempt to steal the car.

So, seriously...don't worry about getting robbed in an Uber! You're much more likely to get hit by lightning.

Two things to watch out for if you're from overseas (which I'm sure you are well aware of...but just for other folks):
  • Exchange rates, and the effect they can have on the actual amount you pay for anything
  • Overseas credit card transaction charges, which can add significantly
Luckily I have a credit card that doesn't charge any extras for use abroad, so that wouldn't be a problem. I want to take as little cash as possible as more of a convenience as I never know how much money to take, so I'm planning to use my credit card as much as possible and only bring a little cash for those situations where card payment isn't possible.

If one chooses to tip the driver, what is customary? 10%? More? I don't use either service at home, but planning on using it for an upcoming trip to the World, so I want to be a good passenger.

Robbers know that Uber/Lyft drivers don't usually carry much cash, so the likelihood of you getting robbed during a ride is virtually zero. Why would a robber attack 2-3 people in a car when they could just find someone alone on foot? Robbers are dumb, but they're not THAT dumb! If they are going to target a rideshare vehicle at all, they would attack the driver alone in an attempt to steal the car.

So, seriously...don't worry about getting robbed in an Uber! You're much more likely to get hit by lightning.
Oh, I'm not worried about ME getting robbed. I'm worried about ME loosing money. My momma taught me to never carry more money than I can afford to loose. I can't afford to loose any. So I carry little to none.

It's drivers I would worry about and after the end of the night, I would think they would have a fair bit of cash if it were known they had been getting cash tips for an entire day. Taking their cash has got to be a whole lot less traceable than taking their car! If there was one that was gonna take something. And seriously, I've never thought of criminals as being smart. Not the ones that are after cash to get their next drug fix at least. Because something tells me the ones out there trying to steal copper from live electrical wires are far from smart.

If one chooses to tip the driver, what is customary? 10%? More? I don't use either service at home, but planning on using it for an upcoming trip to the World, so I want to be a good passenger.
I tend to tip more than 10% for the short rides at Disney.
Most rides are somewhere between $6 and $7 and I'd always make my total at least $10.

So rideguru was quoting ~$23 from MCO to Dolphin, but the actual prices were ~$34 (Saturday around 2:30 pm, not sure if that's surge pricing) A close to 50% difference is pretty significant.

So rideguru was quoting ~$23 from MCO to Dolphin, but the actual prices were ~$34 (Saturday around 2:30 pm, not sure if that's surge pricing) A close to 50% difference is pretty significant.
Joel can probably answer this better than I, but I got the same result you did. Ride Guru quoted me about $23, but the Uber rider app quoted me $38 (still $25 less expensive than taxi).

I checked on the Driver app, and no surge is shown at MCO. It's also possible that Uber has a surge going that is not being passed on to the drivers -- that's common with both companies -- but airports don't surge very often. (For example, I checked the MIA airport queue a few minutes ago and there were 131-135 UberX vehicles in the queue. Certainly NOT going to get any surge there!)

My guess is that Uber is using "upfront pricing" and RideGuru's prices do not reflect that. I'm not sure if Lyft uses upfront pricing in the Orlando market, or the old mileage/time model, but these occasional pricing differences are why I suggest riders always have both apps on their phone and double-check if something doesn't look right.

Joel can probably answer this better than I, but I got the same result you did. Ride Guru quoted me about $23, but the Uber rider app quoted me $38 (still $25 less expensive than taxi).

I checked on the Driver app, and no surge is shown at MCO. It's also possible that Uber has a surge going that is not being passed on to the drivers -- that's common with both companies -- but airports don't surge very often. (For example, I checked the MIA airport queue a few minutes ago and there were 131-135 UberX vehicles in the queue. Certainly NOT going to get any surge there!)

My guess is that Uber is using "upfront pricing" and RideGuru's prices do not reflect that. I'm not sure if Lyft uses upfront pricing in the Orlando market, or the old mileage/time model, but these occasional pricing differences are why I suggest riders always have both apps on their phone and double-check if something doesn't look right.
I did have both apps and they both were about the same.
Confuses me because everyone here says the lower price is 'normal'.

I did have both apps and they both were about the same.
Confuses me because everyone here says the lower price is 'normal'.
$35-$38 may be the "new normal," and probably should be. With taxis charging $63-$65, it's a poor business decision for Uber/Lyft to be charging $23.

Very often, what people think is "normal" is based on old info. $23-$25 had been the "normal price" for a long time, but Uber is finally updating their pricing to more realistic levels, and Lyft is of course copying Uber.

Uber/Lyft have been losing money since their inception and they have to find a way to begin to make a profit. Raising fares is an obvious method, and you can see the huge disparity between rideshare fares and taxi fares in the Orlando market, so there is no downside.

Driver's, incidentally, get zero of that increase. You paid $34, but your driver only got $17. Orlando drivers are being paid less than $.60 per mile (the IRS business deduction for personal car use is $.545), and from RideGuru's info, it looks like Lyft drivers are paid a little less. Orlando and Detroit drivers have the lowest pay in the US.

Mystery solved. It's upfront pricing. When I check fares the other way on the Uber rider app (Dolphin to MCO), I get $31.

We will be using Uber/Lyft several times during our off property stay. I understand I can buy gift cards to use for fares.
Is there an advantage to doing this? Is there a discount?
Do I buy them right from Uber or Lyft?

Mystery solved. It's upfront pricing. When I check fares the other way on the Uber rider app (Dolphin to MCO), I get $31.
I'm confused about something. What is upfront pricing? And how had it changed from what they've done in the past? And why use Rideguru in the first place? When I'm curious about a fare charge I get on the app, put in the origination and then the destination and it will give me a rate. Right from the source. I'd never assume some third party app to be right anyway. Just wonder why others don't do that

And why use Rideguru in the first place? When I'm curious about a fare charge I get on the app, put in the origination and then the destination and it will give me a rate. Right from the source. I'd never assume some third party app to be right anyway. Just wonder why others don't do that

Because everyone here says to check rideguru to see what fares are..it is frequently referenced. Which in my case made me wonder why use it if it is that incorrect ? From the above info, sounds like it has no real time information.

And did check the apps...Again my issue was the discrepancy with what others have said the fares were.

I'm confused about something. What is upfront pricing? And how had it changed from what they've done in the past? And why use Rideguru in the first place? When I'm curious about a fare charge I get on the app, put in the origination and then the destination and it will give me a rate. Right from the source. I'd never assume some third party app to be right anyway. Just wonder why others don't do that
"Upfront pricing" is a new pricing model used by both Uber and Lyft. Uber uses it pretty much universally; Lyft varies.

The original pricing model was very straightforward -- a base price, a company booking fee, a set price per mile, a set price per minute, plus any tolls, fees, etc involved with the ride. And drivers were paid a percentage of the fare paid by the rider -- typically 80% of the fare for drivers who had been around several years, 75% for newer drivers.

The old time and mileage charges are still the basis of driver pay, and they have not changed. Drivers still make the same amount, but it is now a much smaller portion of the fare paid by the rider.

Upfront pricing is based on the vast amount of data the companies collect, including minute-by-minute data on demand, what riders have paid in the past, and tons of other data. Upfront pricing is also demographically priced to some degree -- rides from low-income pickup points have lower fares than rides of equal time and distance from affluent pickup points. So the pricing is very flexible, and you may receive one price from DS to MK one day and a different price the next day.

Upfront pricing is a method of making pricing more reflective of supply and demand, and it is also a way of slowly raising pricing in a particular market to a sustainable level so the companies can survive. So the companies can look at a $23 fare from MCO-Dolphin, compare it to $65-$70 taxi fare, and say, "Wait a minute -- we're charging ONE-THIRD. That's nuts!"

Although upfront pricing is a little higher than the old method, there is one big benefit for customers. Unless you change your destination after pickup, the price you are quoted is the price you will pay -- no matter what. If there is a bad accident, major traffic jam, significant detour, etc -- no big deal. You pay the same. That also relieves some riders concerns about being "long-hauled" -- the age-old taxi trick of taking a much longer route to inflate the fare.

A negative of upfront pricing is that it makes it much more difficult for independent sites like RideGuru to accurately estimate prices. They do the best they can -- and I usually find them pretty accurate -- but this example Greg posted was an exception.

Experienced riders know how to get an accurate estimate of both availability and price through the riders apps, but sites like RideGuru are a big help to folks who don't know that drill.

The best advice I can give to consumers is to have both apps on your phone, and price check your rides. Sometimes you will find the prices the same, but other times the prudent consumer may save a few bucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter