Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

"Upfront pricing" is a new pricing model used by both Uber and Lyft. Uber uses it pretty much universally; Lyft varies.

The original pricing model was very straightforward -- a base price, a company booking fee, a set price per mile, a set price per minute, plus any tolls, fees, etc involved with the ride. And drivers were paid a percentage of the fare paid by the rider -- typically 80% of the fare for drivers who had been around several years, 75% for newer drivers.

The old time and mileage charges are still the basis of driver pay, and they have not changed. Drivers still make the same amount, but it is now a much smaller portion of the fare paid by the rider.

Upfront pricing is based on the vast amount of data the companies collect, including minute-by-minute data on demand, what riders have paid in the past, and tons of other data. Upfront pricing is also demographically priced to some degree -- rides from low-income pickup points have lower fares than rides of equal time and distance from affluent pickup points. So the pricing is very flexible, and you may receive one price from DS to MK one day and a different price the next day.

Upfront pricing is a method of making pricing more reflective of supply and demand, and it is also a way of slowly raising pricing in a particular market to a sustainable level so the companies can survive. So the companies can look at a $23 fare from MCO-Dolphin, compare it to $65-$70 taxi fare, and say, "Wait a minute -- we're charging ONE-THIRD. That's nuts!"

Although upfront pricing is a little higher than the old method, there is one big benefit for customers. Unless you change your destination after pickup, the price you are quoted is the price you will pay -- no matter what. If there is a bad accident, major traffic jam, significant detour, etc -- no big deal. You pay the same. That also relieves some riders concerns about being "long-hauled" -- the age-old taxi trick of taking a much longer route to inflate the fare.

A negative of upfront pricing is that it makes it much more difficult for independent sites like RideGuru to accurately estimate prices. They do the best they can -- and I usually find them pretty accurate -- but this example Greg posted was an exception.

Experienced riders know how to get an accurate estimate of both availability and price through the riders apps, but sites like RideGuru are a big help to folks who don't know that drill.

The best advice I can give to consumers is to have both apps on your phone, and price check your rides. Sometimes you will find the prices the same, but other times the prudent consumer may save a few bucks.
In other words, upfront pricing means Uber & Lyft can charge whatever they think they can get away with. There's no direct relation to time and mileage, and no relation to driver pay.

In other words, upfront pricing means Uber & Lyft can charge whatever they think they can get away with. There's no direct relation to time and mileage, and no relation to driver pay.
Correct. Just like every other business on the planet -- charge whatever the market will bear; limit costs as much as possible.

There actually is a kinda-sorta relationship between time/distance and fare, but no relation to driver pay. The companies just increased their margins.

But still...way less expensive and much more convenient than taxi's. And nicer cars. And nicer drivers like us!

Because everyone here says to check rideguru to see what fares are..it is frequently referenced. Which in my case made me wonder why use it if it is that incorrect ? From the above info, sounds like it has no real time information.

And did check the apps...Again my issue was the discrepancy with what others have said the fares were.

I always assumed that people suggested to use Rideguru because a lot of those that ask about pricing here have never used Uber/Lyft and don't have the apps and don't want to download them unless they are going to use them. I use both services pretty regularly and always check the apps if I am going somewhere I am not familiar with to get an idea of price before I decide if I need to rent a car or just use Uber/Lyft.

We were there for a short trip in July, took Lyft to and from the airport/Yacht Club. I paid $35 to YC and $25 to MCO two days apart.

We will be using Uber/Lyft several times during our off property stay. I understand I can buy gift cards to use for fares.
Is there an advantage to doing this? Is there a discount?
Do I buy them right from Uber or Lyft?

I have seen Uber gift cards. I believe it was at my local Target. I have never seen Lyft gift cards in my local stores.

I have a friend from Europe who had trouble setting up an Uber account with her credit card. I suggested the gift cards to her.

Perhaps someone might want to pay for someone else’s Uber rides. That would be a reason to buy the gift cards.

Other than that, I don’t see a reason to buy them.

Does anyone know where the DHS pickup is now for Uber/Lyft with the new bus stop configuration? It looks like the new bus stop is exactly where the pickup was the last time we were there in March. It’ll probably change again by the time we go in December, but just curious. Thanks!

Does anyone know where the DHS pickup is now for Uber/Lyft with the new bus stop configuration? It looks like the new bus stop is exactly where the pickup was the last time we were there in March. It’ll probably change again by the time we go in December, but just curious. Thanks!
Uber/Lyft picks up in the old bus stop in the Marketplace
Not sure what you mean about the bus stops changing. Nothing is changing at DS. Everything has been finished with the new bus stops. They are not moving. And the Uber/Lyft is not moving. All that part of the construction is all finished.

Uber/Lyft picks up in the old bus stop in the Marketplace
Not sure what you mean about the bus stops changing. Nothing is changing at DS. Everything has been finished with the new bus stops. They are not moving. And the Uber/Lyft is not moving. All that part of the construction is all finished.

The poster asked about the DHS (Disney’s Hollywood Studios) pick up location, not DS (Disney Springs) pickup location :thumbsup2

It's in the front area of the parking lot right before television.

It's in the front area of the parking lot right before television.

I took an Uber or Lyft (can't remember) to Hollywood Studios this past week. After they dropped me off, there were no signs directing you as to where to go. I started walking straight ahead, looking at my phone as I rated and tipped the driver. Then I realized that I had no idea where I was going. I asked someone, who told me I was going the wrong way. This was when it was still light out; it probably would be even more confusing in the dark. So my advice is to look where you're going and rate the driver after you get closer to the park.

We are arriving at MCO around 10pm. Will we have an issue getting an UberXL at that time of night midweek?

Question - do you have to have a reservation to be dropped off at a resort? Wondering about Christmas time. If we wanted to take an uber to the GF just to see the decorations we wouldn't be allowed in without a dining reservation using an uber?

Question - do you have to have a reservation to be dropped off at a resort? Wondering about Christmas time. If we wanted to take an uber to the GF just to see the decorations we wouldn't be allowed in without a dining reservation using an uber?
We have never had to have one. They have never even asked. As soon as the driver informed the guard that he was there just to drop someone off the driver asked to see the drivers ID and then waved us in. This included during New Years weekend

We have never had to have one. They have never even asked. As soon as the driver informed the guard that he was there just to drop someone off the driver asked to see the drivers ID and then waved us in. This included during New Years weekend

That makes a lot more sense, thanks!

That makes a lot more sense, thanks!
It is one of those things though, you can never tell what guard you'll encounter, and what mood they'll be in. You can always go to TTC and monorail over. So do keep that in mind. Some of these guards run their gates like their own little country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter