Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

A couple of questions—my flight to MCO is arriving very late — like midnight— will there be Uber/Lyft vehicles available to take me to Saratoga Springs at that hour?

I am short and disabled and have trouble getting in SUV’s—is there a way to make sure that the Uber/Lyft is not an SUV?

Thanks!

A couple of questions—my flight to MCO is arriving very late — like midnight— will there be Uber/Lyft vehicles available to take me to Saratoga Springs at that hour?

I am short and disabled and have trouble getting in SUV’s—is there a way to make sure that the Uber/Lyft is not an SUV?

Thanks!
There will be ride share available then.
As to type of vehicle, not really. There are typically not any that size vehicle with UberX but there have been many times that we've been sent an XL size vehicle even though we select X. There are so many SUV/Cross Overs on the road today we don't get many sedans at all

There will be ride share available then.
As to type of vehicle, not really. There are typically not any that size vehicle with UberX but there have been many times that we've been sent an XL size vehicle even though we select X. There are so many SUV/Cross Overs on the road today we don't get many sedans at all
I haven't requested a ride in a while. But doesn't the app tell you the car model when it accepts your request? If it's an SUV, the rider can cancel within 2 minutes and re-request.

I haven't requested a ride in a while. But doesn't the app tell you the car model when it accepts your request? If it's an SUV, the rider can cancel within 2 minutes and re-request.
Yes, it does. And yes, you can cancel. Though I wonder, what will it/they think if you cancel several rides in a row. There are SO many non-sedans around Disney that the odds of getting a sedan over something else is small. It may take several attempts

Uber drivers of SUVs have the option of "driving down" to X, and many do because rides are more plentiful on X. In addition, Uber sometimes "upgrades" customers (whether the customer wants it or not) by sending an XL vehicle. The rider pays the regular X fare, and the driver gets paid X rates.

With Lyft, there is no option to drive only XL and above unless the vehicle qualifies for Lyft Lux -- so most Lyft drivers of large vehicles have no choice but to receive regular Lyft ride requests.

However, with both companies, once the driver accepts your ride you will be able to see a picture of their vehicle, and you will also be able to call them. If you see an SUV coming, quickly call the driver and explain the situation to them. The driver possibly can assist you getting in and out of the vehicle, but it is the driver's call whether they feel they can assist safely.

If the situation is not workable, it is important that YOU cancel the ride so the driver does not lose their position in the airport waiting queue.

You might be charged a cancellation fee, but I'm sure that fee would be refunded if you explain the situation to the company. Here's the cancellation fee policy for both companies:
  • Uber charges a cancellation fee if the rider cancels the ride more than two minutes after acceptance by the driver, or if the driver responds to the pickup point and the rider is not at the pickup point within 5 minutes of arrival.
    • However, Uber is VERY customer-oriented and will refund the cancellation immediately if you explain.
  • Lyft charges a cancellation fee only if the driver a) arrives at the spot where Lyft's GPS thinks the rider should be (Lyft's pickup points are sometimes glitchy), AND b) the driver attempts to call the rider, AND c) the driver waits at the pickup point for 5 minutes.
    • Lyft is less flexible on all aspects of life generally, but in your situation, I'd be very disappointed if they didn't refund any cancellation fee. And in any event, you have 5 minutes after the driver arrives, so a cancellation fee should not even be an issue.
The easier way to avoid all of these questions would be to simply take DME.

Though I wonder, what will it/they think if you cancel several rides in a row.
Nothing will happen, but it would be better to wait 2-3 minutes before re-requesting the ride. When you cancel, that driver will go back to the top of the queue and will receive the next request. You don't want to be wasting both your time and the driver's by repeated cancellations of the same driver, so a short wait should give you a different driver and vehicle.

Nothing will happen, but it would be better to wait 2-3 minutes before re-requesting the ride.
Yup. Been there, done that. Even though I waited between requests, I got the same vehicle the second time. Few more minutes I got a sedan.

Considering carrying a small, folding step stool :).

Sedans are going to be harder and harder to come by. Look at how many manufacturers are not even going to make them any more

Where is the lyft pick up area at Disney Springs?

is it still this?:

Westside: Strawberry lot, next to the taxis.

Marketplace: The old bus loop.
Are the areas marked?

A different scenario:
If I need to be picked up from the premium outlet mall,where do I go for pick up?
I am wondering if there is a designated area for pick ups?
thanks.

Last edited:
A different scenario:
If I need to be picked up from the premium outlet mall,where do I go for pick up?
I am wondering if there is a designated area for pick ups?
thanks.
Usually, if there is a designated pickup area anywhere, the Uber rider app will direct you to it.

The key to successful pickups at large malls is to be at a very recognizable landmark which is easy for the driver to locate. At two of our biggest malls, the Cheesecake Factory is THE landmark that everyone recognizes, and that's a great choice. We have one local mall with TWO Macy's stores, and it's not unusual for riders to say, "I'm at Macy's!" That's nice...which one? And they don't know -- "I'm by the men's clothing" as if we can see inside the store! :rolleyes:

Another thing which makes pickups much easier at malls is the Spotlight feature of the Uber rider app which I described in Post #2385 on page 120 of this thread.

Link: Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Yup. Been there, done that. Even though I waited between requests, I got the same vehicle the second time. Few more minutes I got a sedan.

Considering carrying a small, folding step stool :).

I do have one--the issue is having to lug it around at wherever I am going . . . and frankly wasn't planning on bringing it since I have a handicapped accessible room so won't need it for the bed. I will say we used Uber/Lyft last October several times and each time we got a sedan or smaller SUV so I guess we lucked out.

How does it work when you need 2 vehicles?

We will be a party of 8...Grandpa and Grandma (no mobility issues), Me and my 2 teenage daughters (16 and 14) and my sister and her 2 daughters (11 and 7). We want to use Uber to travel from AKV over to BWV in the morning for two reasons: we are switching resorts that day AND we will have a PPO breakfast at Garden Grill and would like to enter via the IG.

I see two scenarios that we might choose...

The first option is to leave our luggage with bell services at AKV and have them transfer it over to BWV. Then we can simply arrange for (2) UberX's to take the 8 of us over to the BWV and walk over to Epcot. This is the option my dad prefers since he doesn't think we need to hassle with our luggage since bell services can take care of it.

The other option is to take our luggage with us. This is the choice *I* prefer since we will have groceries and I think that it would just be easier to bring it all with us since we will be taking an Uber to BWV anyways. In this case, we would need (2) UberXL vehicles, or possibly one UberX and one UberXL.

I'm not going to debate which option is the better choice (mine is:teeth:;)...I'll win that argument), but how long will we be waiting for 2 vehicles to show up? My dad is going to put the app on his phone and set up an account and I'll send him a referral code. Is there anything we should know about "groups" travelling together when using Uber? Obviously we would like to depart and arrive as close together as possible, but it's not imperative. We just don't want one group to leave and have the other group waiting another 15-20 minutes for their ride to show up.

How does it work when you need 2 vehicles?

We will be a party of 8...Grandpa and Grandma (no mobility issues), Me and my 2 teenage daughters (16 and 14) and my sister and her 2 daughters (11 and 7). We want to use Uber to travel from AKV over to BWV in the morning for two reasons: we are switching resorts that day AND we will have a PPO breakfast at Garden Grill and would like to enter via the IG.

I see two scenarios that we might choose...

The first option is to leave our luggage with bell services at AKV and have them transfer it over to BWV. Then we can simply arrange for (2) UberX's to take the 8 of us over to the BWV and walk over to Epcot. This is the option my dad prefers since he doesn't think we need to hassle with our luggage since bell services can take care of it.

The other option is to take our luggage with us. This is the choice *I* prefer since we will have groceries and I think that it would just be easier to bring it all with us since we will be taking an Uber to BWV anyways. In this case, we would need (2) UberXL vehicles, or possibly one UberX and one UberXL.

I'm not going to debate which option is the better choice (mine is:teeth:;)...I'll win that argument), but how long will we be waiting for 2 vehicles to show up? My dad is going to put the app on his phone and set up an account and I'll send him a referral code. Is there anything we should know about "groups" travelling together when using Uber? Obviously we would like to depart and arrive as close together as possible, but it's not imperative. We just don't want one group to leave and have the other group waiting another 15-20 minutes for their ride to show up.
You probably won't wait more than 5-10 minutes.

The only thing you need to know, which you apparently already do, is that the vehicles need to be requested on separate accounts on separate phones. If you really want to save the cost of a 2nd XL, you might get an XL first and see if everything fits before requesting the 2nd vehicle, but I think the difference in cost between X and XL for a trip of that length will be not more than a few dollars.

You'll see the quote for both types when you bring up the 1st request. You can also use the estimated wait time to help decide whether to request a 2nd XL immediately.

This may have been answered because I didn’t read all the posts but can you take Uber/Lyft from a resort to the Dolphin to pick up a rental car or does going from resort to resort have to be for a dining reservation?

This may have been answered because I didn’t read all the posts but can you take Uber/Lyft from a resort to the Dolphin to pick up a rental car or does going from resort to resort have to be for a dining reservation?
You can take Uber or Lyft for any reason or no reason. They really don't care what you're doing.

You will need to install the app on your phone and set up your account in advance.

What is the likelihood of Uber being available at 6:30 am for Disney area? I have an early morning tour and wondering if I should book Mears for a guaranteed arrival or if there is a good chance for an Uber

What is the likelihood of Uber being available at 6:30 am for Disney area? I have an early morning tour and wondering if I should book Mears for a guaranteed arrival or if there is a good chance for an Uber
If you're not needing a car seat, should be no problem. You might have to wait a bit longer, but not likely more than 15 minutes.

If you're not needing a car seat, should be no problem. You might have to wait a bit longer, but not likely more than 15 minutes.

Good, maybe I’ll just start checking at 6. I’d rather kill a half hour in front of Magic Kingdom or exploring Contemporary than miss my tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter