Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I always tip my drivers. I always say "I'll finish up once I get inside." I guess I have no idea whether they think I'm BSing them...
LOL, trust me they don't believe you. 90+% of the time, no tip happens! Seriously, it's a joke among drivers for that reason.
but I always try to do the right thing.
"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." Yoda, Jedi Master.

I'm sure they appreciate you following through. It's a pleasant surprise when a rider actually does.

Hello Everyone!

I had the pleasure of driving some wonderful DisBoards members on property recently and I wanted to take a moment to answer some questions and provide information on how Uber at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL works with some FAQ:

1)Are drivers allowed in the parks and resorts for pickup or dropoff?
YES YES YES! For resorts, we can pickup simply by stating we are there for pick up and we get right in. Please wait in front of the lobby entrance. If your resort is not listed below, we may also be able to pick up by your building. Please send a txt because we always assume lobby.

Exceptions:

Coronado: We can pick you up, however you must be waiting at the main lobby entrance upon our arrival. If youre not there, we will be sent to checkin parking and you have to walk over to us. This is the only place we are allowed, however if the gates are open during the day we might be able to get closer to your room.

Caribbean Beach: We can now get in easily. Please wait in front of your building by the loop. Do not wait in the bus stop and be sure your pickup location is accurate since this is a very large resort.At CB, we assume your location is what you pinned on the map ( Barbados, Trinidad, Old Port Royale,etc)

OKW/Saratoga: Assumption is pickup is at the location entered, which may be your building. Do not wait in the bus stop itself.

Dropping guests at resorts is also easy, but you still must be staying there or have a dining reservation.

For Parks, we do not have to pay for drop off or pickup. Again, we simply state we are droping off, or picking up, and we get let right through. Generally speaking, here are the pickup/drop locations for the parks and Disney Springs:

MK: Ticket/Transportation Center, in the parking spaces after the taxi queue. Also: you may choose to walk to the Contemporary and get picked up from there. Drop off at CR does not seem to be any faster but some people do choose to do so.

Epcot: I recommend that you walk to the Boardwalk Inn, and call for a ride from there. (This is a great option if ending your evening by the International Gateway between England and France) We usually sit at the gas station across the street and can have you picked up in a minute or less.

The pickup and drop off area is now located near where the Mears cab pickups are. The area appears to be well signed and barriers put up. Look for the green umbrella. Also, please note that there is now a castmember assigned to this area and your car cannot wait for more than a couple minutes before being asked to leave. Therefore, please wait until you are already in this area before requesting a ride.

Hollywood Studios: We are in the main parking lot, right next to the taxi queue. There will be a white sandwichboard sign for pickup/dropoff.

Animal Kingdom: Walk to the left as you exit, towards handicapped parking and the main parking lot. Where the sidewalk meets pavement is where we will be. Youll see the taxi queue on your right about 100 feet up. To your left about a 100 feet will be a white tent, and directly in front of you will be traffic barriers and the first row of handicapped parking.

DTD/Disney Springs:

Westside: Strawberry lot, next to the taxis.

Marketplace: The old bus loop.

Water parks: theres a drop/pickup spot near the entrance so no problems.

Port Canaveral: No problems. However, the rates coming back will be higher than going out. Generally, a family of four or more will find this a savings over the shuttle services. At the port, there are approximately 60 permitted uber drivers so getting a ride back to Orlando(or wherever) is super easy.

Additional Note: We do not pick up or drop off from bus loops, taxi stands, the side of the road/active travel lanes, or other potentially unsafe locations.

2)Are larger vehicles available for my family?
Yes. As of 8/31/15 when I wrote this, UberXL can carry up to 6 passengers. Expect a minivan or large SUV (I drive a white Buick Enclave..if you get me, say you saw this post!). We are also cheaper than taxis on property. Please do NOT try to put more people in the car than are allowed (4 for uber X, 6 for XL). Carrying more passengers than allowed will void the insurance, you could lose you rider account, and the driver could be deactivated.

3)Can uber take me to/from the airport?
Yes.

4)Who drives for uber at WDW? Will I get a CastMember?
Odds are pretty good that you will get a castmember, or former castmember. I also happen to know a guy personally who works at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek and drives UberX. Having said that, Disney is an obvious place for new drivers to go since it's big and there's always alot of traffic so you'll get some of these and it'll be obvious. If you get a driver you really like, go ahead and ask for our number for future rides. If we can accommodate you, we will.

5a)Can I go a long distance such as Cocoa, Tampa,etc?
Yes. Although we ask that you do it earlier in the day/evening, and contact your driver to make sure it's ok. I once had a run to Sarasota from the Yacht Club which picked up at 7pm. It was an hour and a half out, plus an hour and a half for me to get back. So if it had been too much later at night, I would've had to decline.

5b)Can I schedule a longer ride in advance?

Yes, you can. For long rides, Uber seems to be calling drivers to set that up in advance.

6) Are car seats available?
UberX and UberXL now have options including one car seat.

If you have any specific questions about using Uber at WDW, please feel free to reply to this thread and I'll try to keep it updated. I do want to keep this informational, however questions about how the app works, your account, pricing,etc is offtopic and this is not the venue for that.

Have a Magical Day!
Rob
What’s a ballpark price for a party of 6 from Boulder Ridge Villas to Universal Studios

What’s a ballpark price for a party of 6 from Boulder Ridge Villas to Universal Studios
First of all, WELCOME TO THE DIS! You will find a wealth of info on just about anything remotely related to Disney here. Enjoy.

For that trip, you will need XL with either company. Any party larger than 4 requires XL.

There are two ways to check fares.

RideGuru.com will give you pretty good estimates and will show prices for various categories of vehicles, both companies, and also taxi prices.

If you have either the Uber or Lyft app, you can enter your starting/ending locations and get a pretty accurate rate quote. Just be aware that those fares will vary depending on day of week/time of day due to demand fluctuations. If you don't have the apps, just go to the fare estimators on either company's website.

With Uber, we get a text in the driver app. It appears to be delayed by an hour or more, but that could be because the rider didn't rate and tip immediately.

With Lyft, I'm not sure how they handle it, but I don't remember getting any notification. I don't do many Lyft rides and Lyft riders almost never tip here.

With either app, you could do the rating and tip in the driver's presence if they don't mind waiting a minute or two. You have to do the rating first (5 stars = A; 4 stars = F), and then you will get the tipping screen.

The only times I've had that happen have been when new riders asked me to show them how to do the rating and tip in the app.

Thanks for the info!

With Uber, we get a text in the driver app. It appears to be delayed by an hour or more, but that could be because the rider didn't rate and tip immediately.

With Lyft, I'm not sure how they handle it, but I don't remember getting any notification. I don't do many Lyft rides and Lyft riders almost never tip here.

With either app, you could do the rating and tip in the driver's presence if they don't mind waiting a minute or two. You have to do the rating first (5 stars = A; 4 stars = F), and then you will get the tipping screen.

The only times I've had that happen have been when new riders asked me to show them how to do the rating and tip in the app.
Maybe I'm not understanding this post, but are you saying that riders rarely tip uber and lyft drivers? I thought it was customary. I always tip 25%. Am I a fool?

Maybe I'm not understanding this post, but are you saying that riders rarely tip uber and lyft drivers? I thought it was customary. I always tip 25%. Am I a fool?
No, you're a 5-star rider!

Tipping Uber/Lyft drivers is an extremely variable thing and it is hugely dependent on market, type of rider, nature of the trip, etc.

It's also an individual decision. From what I've seen here on the DIS, most DISers tip their drivers at WDW.

I'm the same way -- I tip $5 for an X ride and $10 for an XL ride, or more if it's a longer ride, in which case I always tip 20-25%. I always tip in cash because I want the driver to know immediately that I appreciate their service.

My personal experience here in Miami has been that Uber riders tip much more frequently than Lyft riders -- but I drive only a small number of Lyft rides and the clienteles are noticeably different, so that may skew my impressions.

Last edited:

Can I use the app on my own phone to request and pay for a ride for someone else? I would not be accompanying them.
Yes, with either company -- as long as there is an adult in the party being driven. Unaccompanied minors are prohibited.

You just set the pickup and dropoff points and order the ride.

It's important for that person to be AT the pickup point when you order, and not move. Make sure they know your name because the driver will probably ask for it. It's also a good idea, once the driver has accepted the ride, to text the driver via the app and let them know who they are actually picking up.

LOL, trust me they don't believe you. 90+% of the time, no tip happens! Seriously, it's a joke among drivers for that reason."Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." Yoda, Jedi Master.

I'm sure they appreciate you following through. It's a pleasant surprise when a rider actually does.

Wow, I'm glad I read your posts. I almost always tip in the app, but I'll try to tip in cash going forward.

Wow, I'm glad I read your posts. I almost always tip in the app, but I'll try to tip in cash going forward.
Either way is just fine. I prefer to tip in cash, but many, many people prefer tipping in the app -- especially business people traveling on a company credit card or needing documentation for their expense reports.

The people drivers laugh at when they say, "I'll tip you in the app" are the drunks and Alphabros trying to impress girls. It's pretty easy to tell who is telling the truth and who isn't.

(The girls know too. I've had them hand me a $5 and say, "Sorry about Mr. Wonderful!")

Hi! We've never used Lyft or Uber, and we're a party of six. We're trying to figure out the best way to get from MCO to Legoland Florida (52 road miles) and then the next day go from Legoland to AoA back at WDW. Can we find drivers willing to do that?
Our other options are $300+ for a town-car service that offers SUVs big enough for us or $350 to rent a minivan for 30 hours and drop it off at the Dolphin.
We will have a 5yo who will bring her own basic booster seat (the small, backless kind).

Hi! We've never used Lyft or Uber, and we're a party of six. We're trying to figure out the best way to get from MCO to Legoland Florida (52 road miles) and then the next day go from Legoland to AoA back at WDW. Can we find drivers willing to do that?
Our other options are $300+ for a town-car service that offers SUVs big enough for us or $350 to rent a minivan for 30 hours and drop it off at the Dolphin.
We will have a 5yo who will bring her own basic booster seat (the small, backless kind).
Well it looks like you'll have two adults and 4 kids. If that's not correct, or if any of the party have any special needs, that will affect the advice you get.

With Uber or Lyft -- at a minimum -- you will need at least an XL vehicle. The problem is that, if you have a lot of luggage, you still may not fit in a minivan or SUV, so you might have to get two vehicles (an X and an XL).

If you can fit, an XL with either company will cost about $95-$100 one way from MCO to Legoland. From Legoland back to AoA, an XL vehicle should cost $60-$70. Neither of those fares include tip. You can get approximate fares on RideGuru.com or both companies websites.

When you set up your Uber/Lyft account, you should get some new-rider promotions, and you will be able to use those on these trips. Read the terms of any promotions carefully, because if you sign up at home the promotions may not apply in the Orlando market. For that reason, you might want to wait until you arrive at MCO to put the apps on your phone and sign up.

With the ages of your children, you might want to consider a MinnieVan while at Disney for a special treat...especially going to MK, because they drop you off at the MK bus stop rather than TTC. MinnieVans are expensive ($15 base fare + #2.75 per mile), but they are a special treat. MV is ordered through the Lyft app only, and any Lyft promotions you may have would apply.

We’re looking at Uber car seat for a ride to Mco.

Will the driver install the car seat, or would we do that ourselves?

We’re happy to check it over, but installing an unfamiliar seat doesn’t sound like fun.

The driver will know how to install the car seat they provide. But Über isn't bringing on new car seat drivers, so you might want a backup plan - taxi (pretty sure Mears will provide a car seat on request) or prearrange a car service.

Hi, we will be using Uber or Lyft from Sanford Airport to All star resort. Our kids are 11 and 7. What do we need to know about booster seats.

Last edited:
Florida law requires children under the age of 5 years old to be secured properly in a federally approved and crash tested child restraint device. Children aged 4 – 5 can be in a car seat or a booster seat. Children 6 – 8 must remain in the rear seat of the vehicle and use a seat belt at all times.
https://newcarseatlaws.com/florida/

Hi, we will be using Uber or Lyft from Sanford Airport to All star resort. Our kids are 11 and 7. What do we ned to know about booster seats.
Under Florida law, no boosters are required. If you want one anyway for the 7 y/o, you might look at something like a BubbleBum -- inexpensive and easily portable in a backpack.

In addition to Kaytie's info above, Florida law requires all persons younger than 18 to wear seatbelts at all times.

We will be needing an XL when we move from Caribbean Beach to Royal Pacific, as well as from Royal Pacific to MCO, on a trip next month. It is only three adults, but we will have luggage (three standard suitcases and a few carry ons). I’ve never used Uber or Lyft with luggage. Do drivers hate such trips? I do tip well. Side question: should I tip more because we have luggage?

I’ve never used Uber or Lyft with luggage. Do drivers hate such trips?
No, lol! Three adults with luggage is WAY better than 5-6 drunk fratbros! Seriously, XL drivers are always happy to get an XL ride.
Side question: should I tip more because we have luggage?
That's up to you, and I think it also might depend on how helpful the driver is. Most XL drivers will load and unload the luggage for you; in fact, many prefer to handle the luggage themselves to prevent damage to their cars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter