Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

No, lol! Three adults with luggage is WAY better than 5-6 drunk fratbros! Seriously, XL drivers are always happy to get an XL ride.That's up to you, and I think it also might depend on how helpful the driver is. Most XL drivers will load and unload the luggage for you; in fact, many prefer to handle the luggage themselves to prevent damage to their cars.
Thanks! I’m always one to worry about imposing. This reassures me.

Thinking about a trip to Wyndham Bonnet Creek in June and will be flying in. Will have six people I believe. I am thinking it would be best to set up with Uber XL driver before hand? Tips, advice on this?

Thinking about a trip to Wyndham Bonnet Creek in June and will be flying in. Will have six people I believe. I am thinking it would be best to set up with Uber XL driver before hand? Tips, advice on this?

No need. Get it when you arrive and are ready.

No need. Get it when you arrive and are ready.

If you want to set up something before hand, search this board for limo services. There are several good ones.

So getting an Uber when we land won't be any problem then?
No problem getting a ride. If you have six people with luggage, it's possible that you'll need two vehicles but there won't be a problem getting rides.

No problem getting a ride. If you have six people with luggage, it's possible that you'll need two vehicles but there won't be a problem getting rides.
Oh, ok. Well good to know, cause I was thinking we could get one all together. I will keep this in mind.

Oh, ok. Well good to know, cause I was thinking we could get one all together. I will keep this in mind.
You're guaranteed seats for 6, but you're not guaranteed space for luggage for 6.

If you and your luggage can't all fit, I suggest asking the driver to fold down the 3rd seat and putting all luggage into the 1st vehicle if possible. Then the remaining riders can get an UberX, which could have almost no luggage space.

It will depend on the vehicle you get and how much luggage your party has. XL means the vehicle has seating (with seatbelts) for at least 6 passengers.

But that's not the same as 6 passengers, each with a large suitcase and several carry-ons. Some vehicles will be large enough, some won't.

Jim - I ALWAYS tip in the app. I don't like to deal with cash if I don't have to. I've had wonderful drivers who I've given great feedback and a more than 20% tip at times - do they not see that???? I feel terrible to think a pleasant driver doesn't believe I'm going to leave a tip!! Is there something to say that would assure the driver without being insulting? lol

Jim - I ALWAYS tip in the app. I don't like to deal with cash if I don't have to. I've had wonderful drivers who I've given great feedback and a more than 20% tip at times - do they not see that???? I feel terrible to think a pleasant driver doesn't believe I'm going to leave a tip!! Is there something to say that would assure the driver without being insulting? lol
Drivers DO get notified of your tip, and of course, we see it in the ride detail. Sometimes the notification comes several hours later, but we have no way of knowing if that's just a glitch or if the rider tipped after the fact.

Don't worry about the driver not believing you about tipping in the app. It's pretty obvious which riders are sincere and which ones aren't.

Also, just FYI neither company takes any percentage of in-app tips. The driver receives the full amount...except...

With Lyft, they count in-app tips as revenue to the driver for the purpose of guarantees/bonuses. If a driver is working on a guarantee of a certain amount, an in-app tip actually reduces the amount Lyft will have to pay the driver. The driver gets the money, but it actually works against them because it offsets bonuses Lyft would pay otherwise.

A lot of drivers freak out when they learn that, but it's right there in the Lyft guarantee/bonus promotion info. Drivers just don't read the fine print, and that's a fundamental mistake with anything Lyft. Gotta read the fine print. Details matter.

Drivers DO get notified of your tip, and of course, we see it in the ride detail. Sometimes the notification comes several hours later, but we have no way of knowing if that's just a glitch or if the rider tipped after the fact.

Don't worry about the driver not believing you about tipping in the app. It's pretty obvious which riders are sincere and which ones aren't.

Also, just FYI neither company takes any percentage of in-app tips. The driver receives the full amount...except...

With Lyft, they count in-app tips as revenue to the driver for the purpose of guarantees/bonuses. If a driver is working on a guarantee of a certain amount, an in-app tip actually reduces the amount Lyft will have to pay the driver. The driver gets the money, but it actually works against them because it offsets bonuses Lyft would pay otherwise.

A lot of drivers freak out when they learn that, but it's right there in the Lyft guarantee/bonus promotion info. Drivers just don't read the fine print, and that's a fundamental mistake with anything Lyft. Gotta read the fine print. Details matter.

Ok then, no more tipping in the app just cash tips which I’m actually already doing most of time anyway.

What % do people usually tip?
Most of my riders give me a crisp new $100 bill.

But actually...in REAL life...it varies with the type and duration of the ride.

I drive both X and XL. If a regular Lyft or UberX ride is short (<5 miles or so), riders often don't tip at all...especially younger riders. On longer rides, I'd say the typical X tip is probably $3-$5. XL riders tip more generally, and it's unusual for an XL rider over 30 not to tip at all.

In Miami, we also have UberPool and Lyft Shared, but I don't accept either of those ride types, so I don't know how they tip. I've heard they don't tip much.

Personally, I tip $5 for a normal X ride and $10 for a normal XL ride. Longer rides and rides with luggage, I tip more.

Most of my riders give me a crisp new $100 bill.

But actually...in REAL life...it varies with the type and duration of the ride.

I drive both X and XL. If a regular Lyft or UberX ride is short (<5 miles or so), riders often don't tip at all...especially younger riders. On longer rides, I'd say the typical X tip is probably $3-$5. XL riders tip more generally, and it's unusual for an XL rider over 30 not to tip at all.

In Miami, we also have UberPool and Lyft Shared, but I don't accept either of those ride types, so I don't know how they tip. I've heard they don't tip much.

Personally, I tip $5 for a normal X ride and $10 for a normal XL ride. Longer rides and rides with luggage, I tip more.

Ok then I am right there....

We're 2 adults travelling with 2 big luggages (both 28 inches) and 2 backpacks from Pop to Royal Pacific.

Could we get by with a regular Lyft or should we call for an XL?

Also, we don't have a US Sim and survive on resort wifi. This won't be an issue if we just wait at the lobby pick up point noted on the app, right?

We're 2 adults travelling with 2 big luggages (both 28 inches) and 2 backpacks from Pop to Royal Pacific.

Could we get by with a regular Lyft or should we call for an XL?

Also, we don't have a US Sim and survive on resort wifi. This won't be an issue if we just wait at the lobby pick up point noted on the app, right?
On the phone question, you will be fine for pickup as long as you have wifi. You won't have service during the ride, obviously.

Whether you can fit in a regular Lyft depends on the vehicle you get. You will have plenty of room in an XL, and in Orlando the differential between regular and XL is not as great as it is in other markets. You can order your ride, see what kind of car is coming, and if it's too small, cancel and order an XL.

If you use Uber, you might try the new Uber Comfort. That will be a midsized or larger sedan (Toyota Camry or larger) or a minivan or SUV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!