Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

You can order your ride, see what kind of car is coming, and if it's too small, cancel and order an XL.
But cancel quickly, to avoid the cancellation fee. Then wait a few minutes, to try to avoid getting the same vehicle! Couple of weeks ago, it took me five tries to get a sedan instead of a minivan or SUV. And the first three were all the same driver!

On the phone question, you will be fine for pickup as long as you have wifi. You won't have service during the ride, obviously.

Whether you can fit in a regular Lyft depends on the vehicle you get. You will have plenty of room in an XL, and in Orlando the differential between regular and XL is not as great as it is in other markets. You can order your ride, see what kind of car is coming, and if it's too small, cancel and order an XL.

If you use Uber, you might try the new Uber Comfort. That will be a midsized or larger sedan (Toyota Camry or larger) or a minivan or SUV.

So good to know, thank you! :-)

But cancel quickly, to avoid the cancellation fee. Then wait a few minutes, to try to avoid getting the same vehicle! Couple of weeks ago, it took me five tries to get a sedan instead of a minivan or SUV. And the first three were all the same driver!

Will do, thanks! :-)

So how hard is it to get an Uber that will seat six people? Uber XL, right? Just wondering if this is a challenge in Orlando or not? Or could it be just during certain times? What about a ride to/from the airport, challenge?

So how hard is it to get an Uber that will seat six people? Uber XL, right? Just wondering if this is a challenge in Orlando or not? Or could it be just during certain times? What about a ride to/from the airport, challenge?
Yes, Uber XL for 5-6 people, and they are readily available any time you need one in Orlando. XL fares in Orlando are also very reasonable compared to other markets. However...that's not six people PLUS luggage. You would need two vehicles for that, and possibly two XLs.

To and from the airport is no problem. At the airport, there are dozens of drivers waiting in a queue for ride requests.

Yes, Uber XL for 5-6 people, and they are readily available any time you need one in Orlando. XL fares in Orlando are also very reasonable compared to other markets. However...that's not six people PLUS luggage. You would need two vehicles for that, and possibly two XLs.

To and from the airport is no problem. At the airport, there are dozens of drivers waiting in a queue for ride requests.
Ok, so two different rides to and from the airport, but usually just need one for around Disney and such?

Ok, so two different rides to and from the airport, but usually just need one for around Disney and such?
Yes. An XL must be able to take 6 passengers with seatbelts, so you'll be fine with just one, as long as you don't have luggage.

Just FYI. the Orlando fares for XL appear to be only about 1.3-1.4x the normal X fares. So, in Orlando, an XL ride is a considerable savings over two X's.

In Miami, XL is double the X fare.

I'm sure this is covered here, but I'm not having luck with the search function. Once I collect my luggage at MCO, where do I go to meet my Uber driver? I know other airports have designated ride share areas. Is there signage at MCO I can follow?

I'm sure this is covered here, but I'm not having luck with the search function. Once I collect my luggage at MCO, where do I go to meet my Uber driver? I know other airports have designated ride share areas. Is there signage at MCO I can follow?
From the airport website:
All Transportation Network Companies (ride sharing providers such as Uber, Lyft and Wingz) may pick-up passengers on the Arrivals curb (Level 2).
This is the same level as baggage claim.

There are 2 pick up points on each side at MCO.
When you go to select your ride it will either be A or B. Then, you will select the Claim gate number. I think it's 20 and 32 but I may have those wrong. At any rate, choose whichever is closest to where you are, select that and confirm the pick-up. They have it really idiot-proof, as I was able to do it without issue first time. LOL

We're 2 adults travelling with 2 big luggages (both 28 inches) and 2 backpacks from Pop to Royal Pacific.

Could we get by with a regular Lyft or should we call for an XL?

Also, we don't have a US Sim and survive on resort wifi. This won't be an issue if we just wait at the lobby pick up point noted on the app, right?
I never, ever, EVER select X with bags. Always XL. Some X cars are too small for 2 big bags and I'm not a gambler. XL is always a fit. And now that they have Comfort class, we use that.

And sorry to all the drivers, but I'm am app tipper. I don't carry much cash as my mamma taught me to never carry more than I can afford to lose. As I can't afford to lose any money, I carry little. I always, without fail, 100% of the time, tip in the app and never less than 25%. For short rides, it's 100%, since I realize the driver makes little on a $5 ride. I'm sorry if someone thinks bad of me and rates me down for not tipping because I didn't give cash, but I'm not going to start just to get a good thought or rating. On top of that, if I was a driver I wouldn't even want cash tips. I wouldn't want it well known that drivers are driving around with hundreds of dollars in cash in the car after a days worth of rides. Guess I think the worse of too many folks. May not be a huge risk at Disney in the middle of the afternoon but at night downtown or something, nope. I am pretty exclusive to using Uber so don't need to worry about if Lyft is keeping back part of a match or something. DH does use Lyft so I'll let him know. I've tried to talk him into using Uber over Lyft. While Lyft drivers seem to often drive for both I'm finding more and more Uber drivers don't. Seems like Lyft vehicles are almost always in a bit poorer shape, older, less cared for, etc. I've never looked it up but I have the impression as a rider that Lyft allows older vehicles than Uber.

And sorry to all the drivers, but I'm am app tipper. I don't carry much cash as my mamma taught me to never carry more than I can afford to lose. As I can't afford to lose any money, I carry little. I always, without fail, 100% of the time, tip in the app and never less than 25%. For short rides, it's 100%, since I realize the driver makes little on a $5 ride. I'm sorry if someone thinks bad of me and rates me down for not tipping because I didn't give cash, but I'm not going to start just to get a good thought or rating. On top of that, if I was a driver I wouldn't even want cash tips. I wouldn't want it well known that drivers are driving around with hundreds of dollars in cash in the car after a days worth of rides. Guess I think the worse of too many folks. May not be a huge risk at Disney in the middle of the afternoon but at night downtown or something, nope. I am pretty exclusive to using Uber so don't need to worry about if Lyft is keeping back part of a match or something. DH does use Lyft so I'll let him know. I've tried to talk him into using Uber over Lyft. While Lyft drivers seem to often drive for both I'm finding more and more Uber drivers don't. Seems like Lyft vehicles are almost always in a bit poorer shape, older, less cared for, etc. I've never looked it up but I have the impression as a rider that Lyft allows older vehicles than Uber.
I always tip in the app I never have cash on me. I feel most drivers are used to this.

This might have been covered already, so my apologies if it has... If we choose the Minnie Van Lyft option to get to MK, where is their drop off?Would we still have to get on monorail to get to MK?

Not in my experience, though. Maybe in Orlando because a lot of (poorly paid) CMs and TMs drive rideshare?
If that's why would't Uber be the same in Orlando?
But, only other place we've used Lyft is here at home and it was the same.
That's what got me wondering if Lyft has a different requirement

If that's why would't Uber be the same in Orlando?
But, only other place we've used Lyft is here at home and it was the same.
That's what got me wondering if Lyft has a different requirement
There is a great deal of variance between markets, but Orlando strikes me as a place where the two companies should be roughly equal. Orlando is a busy tourist market year-round and also a major college town. Also here on the DIS, I don't hear Lyft riders complain about difficulty getting rides or long pickup times -- that tells me both companies have a LOT of drivers working and saturation is a great equalizer.

Miami is a different story entirely; in Miami, you will get a LOT of new Lyft drivers. The reason is that Lyft is weak here and drivers can't make money, so they quit quickly.

Lyft also seems to be all over the place lately -- especially since their IPO. A couple of months ago they changed their Florida vehicle requirements from <10 years to <15 years in order to enlarge their potential driver pool. Then a couple of weeks ago, they announced that temporarily in Miami only, there would be no new signups for vehicles older than 5 years...which made no sense at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!