Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Is it possible to order an XL for 7 passengers?
No, they are only required to seat 6 passengers. There might be a few minivans out there that can seat 8 including the driver, but the vast majority of XL's are 7-seat SUVs.

Assuming you have no luggage, you can try, but as Joel said above XL if for "up to 6 passengers," not 7. If you get lucky and happen to draw a Suburban, Tahoe, or some minivans, they might be able to handle 7 -- but you might have to do a number of ride requests.

I would order 2 Xs, or 1 Comfort and 1 X. That way there is no question that you'll fit, and you'll probably be more comfortable as well. Orlando rates are super low, and you won't be paying much more than you'd pay for the XL.

Since Minnie Vans aren't scheduled to start before 6:30am, we may want to take a regular uber/lyft to HS in time for rope drop, but can I order a regular uber/lyft with a carseat? I don't seem to see an easy way to do it just fooling around in the app. But then again, I don't see a carseat option for the minnie vans either (do all of them just come with carseats?

Since Minnie Vans aren't scheduled to start before 6:30am, we may want to take a regular uber/lyft to HS in time for rope drop, but can I order a regular uber/lyft with a carseat? I don't seem to see an easy way to do it just fooling around in the app. But then again, I don't see a carseat option for the minnie vans either (do all of them just come with carseats?
Uber yes, lyft no.

In the Orlando market, Uber has some UberX and UberXL vehicles equipped with ONE car seat. I believe the extra charge is $8 for both categories.

The car seat option will not show on your app at home, but if you change your pickup point to someplace in the Orlando area it will show and give you the prices.

ALL MinnieVans have two standard car seats which can be used forward- or backward-facing, and can also be used as a booster for a larger child. That's standard equipment -- no extra charge (although MV fares are much higher than Uber). And because it's standard, no option is shown on the app.

Uber yes, lyft no.

In the Orlando market, Uber has some UberX and UberXL vehicles equipped with ONE car seat. I believe the extra charge is $8 for both categories.

The car seat option will not show on your app at home, but if you change your pickup point to someplace in the Orlando area it will show and give you the prices.

ALL MinnieVans have two standard car seats which can be used forward- or backward-facing, and can also be used as a booster for a larger child. That's standard equipment -- no extra charge (although MV fares are much higher than Uber). And because it's standard, no option is shown on the app.

Perfect, thanks!

Uber yes, lyft no.

But have a backup plan. There may not be any cars with child seats available at off hours.

My family will be traveling to DW in May 2020. We will be staying 6 or 7 nights and considering staying offsite. We will only be visiting the parks 4 days. I'm wondering if anybody else has stayed offsite and used uber/lyft services to get to the parks instead of getting a rental? I'm worried this will get costly but the estimates I've seen don't seem too bad, especially taking into consideration parking every day.

My family will be traveling to DW in May 2020. We will be staying 6 or 7 nights and considering staying offsite. We will only be visiting the parks 4 days. I'm wondering if anybody else has stayed offsite and used uber/lyft services to get to the parks instead of getting a rental? I'm worried this will get costly but the estimates I've seen don't seem too bad, especially taking into consideration parking every day.
First, do you need any carseats for kids? If you do, Uber has some vehicles with ONE carseat, and they charge $8 extra per ride. Lyft has none.

You can get pretty accurate fare estimates on RideGuru.com. Or you can use either you Uber rider app, or the fare estimator on Uber.com.

Second, does anyone in your party have an AP? If so, you will not have to pay for Disney parking.

Third, does your resort charge for parking?

Once you know what parking charges may be involved, you can calculate your overall costs, including all the variables. Then just see how it comes out.

Personally, if the numbers come out pretty close, I would rent a car. That would give you a lot more flexibility. You can Uber everywhere, but I think you will find yourself not doing some things if you have to pay for two rides for each trip. There is both good shopping and good dining offsite, and especially if you're going to have a couple of non-park days, I would want a car full-time.

It's a very individual thing, what your needs, expectations, and preferences are, but we drive to WDW, stay offsite and use ride share even though we have a car with us. Sometimes it really is worth it for convenience and to not have the parking fees at the parks. For MK especially it's been great because we get dropped and picked up at the Contemporary rather than fight the crowds and have to wait for the ferry or monorail going in and out.

Below is a post I made in September after using Lyft in the days leading up to Hurricane Dorian. Finding gas was an issue so we parked our car with a full tank of gas and used Lyft. I also had a discount, which both Uber and Lyft seem to regularly add to your app, and they come in handy. On the trip below we used Lyft because of that discount, but we did it with Uber in October because I had a discount for Uber that month.

In my post below, I didn't include what we tipped, because we tip cash rather than on the app and I had one of those discounts on 10 rides. For distance reference, our offsite condo is in Sheraton Vistana, which is directly across I4 from Disney Springs and all the fares listed are to and from the resort to the parks. It's worth noting that prices can fluctuate during busy times, but it didn't seem to us that it was by much. We've found the same when we used Uber.

For our next trip in May we will again use ride share for some of our transportation. I factor in the savings for not parking and I figure giving a nice cash tip for the driver is well worth not having to fight the crowds in or out, the congestion in the parking lots, the convenience for MK and if we decide to have an adult beverage or two.

Also agree!
We just came back from a quick trip (thanks Dorian :headache:) and used Lyft for several rides. There was a gas issue in Orlando (actually, all up and down Florida due to people preparing/freaking out about the hurricane) so we parked our car at our offsite resort with a full tank and used Lyft to get around to save our gas for a quick exit, if we needed to. For us, along with the convenience of where you're dropped off, the prices were good and in a lot of cases less than the $25 parking fee. When you sign up for Uber or Lyft they will sometimes send you promos for a percentage off rides. We used Lyft because I had one such promo that offered 25% off my next 10 rides. I think Uber had a 5% off rides in the app when I was looking.

Here's a quick breakdown of what we paid. We did tip cash, except for one ride where we didn't have any cash with us and we just tipped on the app. The prices below are not including the tip.
1. 11.23 miles, 20m 9s, $12.97 - $3.24 discount = $9.73, plus cash tip
2. 9.69 miles, 17m 6s, $13.98 - $3.49 discount = $10.49 plus cash tip
3. 6.56 miles, 11m 40sm $10.20 - $2.55 discount = $7.65 plus cash tip
4. 5.68 miles, 9m 7s, $10.66 - $2.66 discount = $8.00 plus tip
5. 6.53 miles, 13m 5s, $11.28 - $2.82 discount = $8.46 plus cash tip
6. 5.06 miles, 15m 29s, $10.69 - $2.67 discount = $8.02 plus cash tip

I had all these receipts out because I'm planning for next month and trying to factor in all costs. :thumbsup2

Let's see what your answer to this questions is...haha...

And being lazy, I didn't want to read 133 pages.

My mother and I will be traveling together. She will be in a folding "transfer chair" that fits in my Honda Civic. Do I need to order and Uber X?

UberX is the minimum, basic, four passenger vehicle. In another thread, one of our resident Über drivers advised calling your driver as soon as one is dispatched, and making sure their vehicle can handle your device. If it can't, you can cancel quickly.

Let's see what your answer to this questions is...haha...

And being lazy, I didn't want to read 133 pages.

My mother and I will be traveling together. She will be in a folding "transfer chair" that fits in my Honda Civic. Do I need to order and Uber X?
Yes, UberX...assuming you have no luggage.

If you have luggage, I would order Uber Comfort which will be either a full-sized sedan or an SUV. That should be plenty of room, more comfortable, a highly-rated driver, and it will only cost a little bit more. You'll get accurate quotes for all options before you order your ride.

With a folding wheelchair, it's always a good idea to immediately call or text your driver and advise them. Drivers are not required to load luggage and other items, and some may not be able to do so. If the driver says no, you can cancel the ride immediately, avoid a cancellation fee, and reorder and try again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!