Everyone's opinions on Halloween treats.

I also got the poison apple cocktail (not sure of the real name) at Carthay to get the purple glow cube, and man that brought me back to college and not in a good way, I would not recommend this one for the flavor, but I do like my purple glow cube!

I also got the poison apple drink at Carthay for the purple apple glow cube. Our waiter could not have been more emphatic that you had to order THAT cocktail, they would not add the glow cube to any other drink. If I had known how bad it was going to be I would have just asked them to put it in an empty glass..
Can you give more specifics about what it tasted like? Asking because we almost waited in line for it last week and decided to just make a special extra trip to get one. I tend to love sweet martinis (lemon drop, cosmos).

Can you give more specifics about what it tasted like? Asking because we almost waited in line for it last week and decided to just make a special extra trip to get one. I tend to love sweet martinis (lemon drop, cosmos).

From the internet it looks like the drink is: The apple whiskey, liqueur, and bitters,and cranberry juice. I, in general, do not like any apple flavored liquor, to me, it all tastes slightly medicinal and like sour apple pucker, and loses all of the great flavors of true apple. If I make an apple cocktail at home I use either a spiced or caramel liquor (or both) and apple cider to give it that sweet/tartness of apples and depth of flavor. If you like apple flavored liquors you may like this. I however, just tasted the flavor of a sour apple pucker (even though there is none in the cocktail) of too many a cheap college punch and was turned off immediately. My friend was with me and after she tasted mine she proclaimed that I was 'on my own with that one' so something about it also didn't agree with her tastes. I love a good lemon drop, I wish I could have gotten that with my glow cube instead!

I think you’ll like it based on what you said. It tastes like your typical apple martini with a tiny bit of spiced apple cider flavor instead of just plain apple. 3 of us tried it on our last trip and we all really liked it.

LOL ! Oh man, I'm set on trying this drink on Saturday when I go. The things I will do for a glow cube...

We're starting a survivor's group....join us.

I'm not opposed to sweet cocktails, had many a cosmo in my day and I love Carthay's double pear martini; while I probably would not choose to order an appletini if given the choice, I have had them before and enjoyed them but this was just a cup full of alcohols that did not play well together. You know that kind of drink that makes you breathe rubbing alcohol out of your nose after a sip? Yeah, that. Maybe they got the ratios of ingredients wrong or left something out because I can't imagine it was supposed to taste like what I was served. There was no specific flavor that stood out other than Robitussin...maybe that's where they get the color ;) But at the end of the day I was just going for the light up cube...and it made a cool picture on IG (ha!), so it was all good.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the pumpkin spice beignets? Are they really sweet? I'm very cautious about trying seasonal desserts after tasting that awful Strawberry churro that was around for pixar fest :crazy2:.

I tried them and they were TERRIBLE! I suspect I got an old batch, the flavor was non existent, and the beignets themselves were pasty - if that makes sense. I would take a bite and then need a lot of water to be able to open my mouth properly again. Waste of $$, I was so sad. I hope someone else has a better experience!

They ARE covered in powdered sugar so I would say they are as sweet as the regular beignets. The pumpkin flavored dough itself didn't add much sweetness or taste like artificial pumpkin. I made the mistake of trying the watermelon churro once and it tasted like nasty candy, these were nothing like that. It was extra soft, warm, tasted like they used real pumpkin and then the powder sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness in my opinion.
View attachment 354227

Ah sounds like you had a much better experience! I figured mine was a mishap. I really wanted to love these.

We're starting a survivor's group....join us.

I'm not opposed to sweet cocktails, had many a cosmo in my day and I love Carthay's double pear martini; while I probably would not choose to order an appletini if given the choice, I have had them before and enjoyed them but this was just a cup full of alcohols that did not play well together. You know that kind of drink that makes you breathe rubbing alcohol out of your nose after a sip? Yeah, that. Maybe they got the ratios of ingredients wrong or left something out because I can't imagine it was supposed to taste like what I was served. There was no specific flavor that stood out other than Robitussin...maybe that's where they get the color ;) But at the end of the day I was just going for the light up cube...and it made a cool picture on IG (ha!), so it was all good.
I tried it today and really loved it! lol I almost ordered a second, but didn't. It was sweet, but not overly so. You can taste the apple!

I tried them and they were TERRIBLE! I suspect I got an old batch, the flavor was non existent, and the beignets themselves were pasty - if that makes sense. I would take a bite and then need a lot of water to be able to open my mouth properly again. Waste of $$, I was so sad. I hope someone else has a better experience!
I had them today. They were delicious but I was expecting the dough to be pumpkin flavored.., it’s just the sugar that is pumpkin spice. Still yummy though!

I had the Black Rose and it was good. It was very rich. My daughter and I shared it. I think it would be a bit much for just one person, unless you are starving when you eat it.

I also had the pumpkin fudge and didn't like it. I like my fudge to taste like chocolate.

The Evil Queen carmel apple got a 2 thumbs up from my daughter adn her teaching partners.

upload_2018-10-1_22-28-4.jpeg
We tried the Spiced Bundt Cake and the Cruella De Vil Brownie from Jolly Holiday. The bundt cake was definitely my preferred. It was tasty with lots of cream cheese icing. The brownie was meh for me. I didn’t love the “mousse” topping, and the brownie was just ok.

I’ve decided that treats from Jolly Holiday are always decent, but they never are very fresh. I still much prefer the pumpkin spice beignets! We’ve had them three different times. While each batch has been slightly different, they are always fresh and so delicious!

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-1_22-27-51.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-1_22-27-51.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 1
Please let me know if its changed. On youtube I can't find any reviews of it this year.

I finally tried the pumpkin bread pudding from Pacific Wharf Cafe yesterday after finding out it doesn’t have raisins this year. I’m not sure what it consisted of last year, but this year it’s nasty. :crazy2: I’m definitely picky and should have known better that the espresso would have been overpowering. The bread was pumpkin mushy, but I couldn’t pick out the pumpkin taste over the espresso. The only redeeming thing about it was the toffee bits sprinkled on top. Here’s a really terrible picture:

upload_2018-10-1_23-44-22.jpeg

I finally tried the pumpkin bread pudding from Pacific Wharf Cafe yesterday after finding out it doesn’t have raisins this year. I’m not sure what it consisted of last year, but this year it’s nasty. :crazy2: I’m definitely picky and should have known better that the espresso would have been overpowering. The bread was pumpkin mushy, but I couldn’t pick out the pumpkin taste over the espresso. The only redeeming thing about it was the toffee bits sprinkled on top. Here’s a really terrible picture:

Sorry, but that does not look appealing at all.

There is a Cookie Shot in the Grand lobby that was very good. It's a chocolate chip cookie baked into a shot glass shape. I had it with Bailey's as my shot. There were two other choices of alcohol and if you buy it for children, it comes filled with milk. I am very picky about my chocolate chip cookies and I thought it was pretty good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter