Everything You Need to Know about Redeeming Airmiles for Disney World & Land & Universal Tickets

OH-EM-GEE! I'm in complete awe! I should have let YOU start this thread!!! Seriously, you've put the information I have collected to complete shame
View attachment 448268

lol, you are too funny! My intent was to hand it off to you for your first posts but at the moment I am still working on it and have other info I'd like to add to it as well as put it in another format as my time permits. So for now I thought best to leave it where it is. And BTW I wouldn't have started the thread, it takes someone like you to make the committment, THANK YOU for doing that.

Just received a quote from Personal Shopper for the Villians After Hours event:

Disney Villains After Hours - February 28, 2020
2 x Ages 10+

Air Miles Quote: 4,350 MILES
Cash value: $308.86 US // $405.69 Cdn
That's right in line with what others have been reporting on quotes from Personal Shoppers ~~14 miles per $1 USD IMHO it's a great way to use our miles and not need to worry about exchange rates. Have a blast!!

So I have my flights and Disney World tickets from Air Miles now, next up is universal tickets. I've noticed all the Universal offers on the AM site seem to be only adult tickets. The price difference between child and adult tickets is pretty small for UO, if I get an adult ticket via AM for my 9 year old, is that going to cause a problem when we get there?

Current value in purchasing Airmiles Canadian WDW tickets over purchasing Canadian WDW base tickets directly from Disney's website:

Airmiles 5 day Cdn WDW adult flex = cost 4725 miles (worth $497.37 at $10 every 95 airmiles). Exchange when first came out 1.33 (now 1.32) = $497.37/1.33=$373.96USD. Current 5 day Cdn Wdw base ticket value ($352.86Usd low season - $483.36Usd high season). Lowest season loss using airmiles $-28.06Cdn, highest season gain using airmiles $145.50Cdn.

Airmiles 7 day Cdn WDW adult flex
= cost 4850 miles (worth $510.05 at $10 every 95 airmiles). Exchange when first came out 1.33 (now 1.32) = $510.05/1.33=$383.85USD. Current 7 day Cdn Wdw base ticket value ($364.90Usd low season - $492.75Usd high season). Lowest season loss using airmiles $-25.20Cdn, highest season gain using airmiles $144.83Cdn

Hi all, need your math advice for this trip to Universal Studios. We are 3 people going, I currently have about 9000 miles.

My plan was to upgrade whatever tickets we get to the Annual Pass (valued at 304.99 +tx)

With my 9000 miles, I can get:
- 2 X "3 day / 3 park (1 park per day)" at 3250 miles which will cost 60 +tx$ per ticket to upgrade. 127.80$ USD (tax in)
and
- 1 "1day PTP" for 2500 miles. Cost to upgrade 135+tx$ USD =143.78$ USD

So I use all my miles and spend (127.80 + 143.78 = 271.57 USD =) 357.45 CDN

OR !!

I can convert all the Airmiles to Air Miles cash and use them at IGA, Jean Coutu etc. 9000 miles is worth 947$ CDN and I just buy all 3 Universal Annual passes online for 305$USD (+tax) = 1283 CDN.

1283 CDN for the tickets - less the 947$ in Air Miles Cash: 335$ CDN

So it sounds like the best option is just the use the Air Miles cash for groceries, gas, pharmacy - and buy the tickets outright. Am I correct ?

Hi all, need your math advice for this trip to Universal Studios. We are 3 people going, I currently have about 9000 miles.

My plan was to upgrade whatever tickets we get to the Annual Pass (valued at 304.99 +tx)

- 2 X "3 day / 3 park (1 park per day)" at 3250 miles which will cost 60 +tx$ per ticket to upgrade. 127.80$ USD (tax in)
and

OR !!

I can convert all the Airmiles to Air Miles cash and use them at IGA, Jean Coutu etc. 9000 miles is worth 947$ CDN and I just buy all 3 Universal Annual passes online for 305$USD (+tax) = 1283 CDN.

So it sounds like the best option is just the use the Air Miles cash for groceries, gas, pharmacy - and buy the tickets outright. Am I correct ?
Not commenting on your math (simply too tired at the moment :P ) but i need to mention something. You CAN'T convert existing dream miles to cash miles, you would need to earn them as cash to start with. Sorry to put a damper on your plan :(

Not commenting on your math (simply too tired at the moment :P ) but i need to mention something. You CAN'T convert existing dream miles to cash miles, you would need to earn them as cash to start with. Sorry to put a damper on your plan

Ahhhhh... well... there goes that plan...

and

OR !!

Are you saying you want to trade the dream miles you have into cash miles? If so I believe that's not an option.

Adding a bit of first hand experience for AM purchased, Canadian discounted WDW passes.

I bought some last year and one this year through the Cdn discount offer. Although the AM site said must be used last year, there was no expiration on the tickets I received and was able to link them to MDE post theoretical expiration date, and make fast passes.

When I came to exchange for the physical tickets at WDW they wouldn't link, manager was called, etc. The tickets still showed as last year's and I think it was a pixie dust situation that they just gave me new ones for this year instead, at no additional cost. So putting this out as warning for those who see the 2030 expiration date, there may still be complications...

So I have my flights and Disney World tickets from Air Miles now, next up is universal tickets. I've noticed all the Universal offers on the AM site seem to be only adult tickets. The price difference between child and adult tickets is pretty small for UO, if I get an adult ticket via AM for my 9 year old, is that going to cause a problem when we get there?

We got an adult ticket for our 9 yo and used it in October and it wasn't a problem.

UPGRADE INFORMATION. Upgraded 7 day regular adult flex ticket today at Disney Springs and received $521.85 for my ticket and $489.90 for my 5 day regular adult flex ticket. The CM I had removed the discount that was given to AM so I received a higher value for my tickets. We upgraded to platinum annual passes which cost $1,191.74 with tax. Our cost to upgrade was $669.89 and $701.84.

UPGRADE INFORMATION. Upgraded 7 day regular adult flex ticket today at Disney Springs and received $521.85 for my ticket and $489.90 for my 5 day regular adult flex ticket. The CM I had removed the discount that was given to AM so I received a higher value for my tickets. We upgraded to platinum annual passes which cost $1,191.74 with tax. Our cost to upgrade was $669.89 and $701.84.
That's awesome glad it worked out.

What do you mean by removed the discount that was given to AM? Were they originally the CDN discounted tickets and the CM decided to give you the value of the reg flex ticket?

I'm planning on using my AM to purchase either two 7 day CDN discounted or two regular 7 day flex tickets with the intention of upgrading to AP Gold (i'm DVC). I'm trying to figure out what the best method would be and what my cost will likely be.

THANK YOU for the report!! The $521.85 for a 7 day flex is exactly what 2018 flex tickets were worth and so sounds like your tickets were from that batch before the last price increase (current gate value of 7 day flex is $627).

You actually ended up validating my decision to sell my AM tickets and buy my annual pass from Sam’s Club at the prices before the last 25% price hike.

My friends decided to join us for our Christmas trip (So much fun to be planning together!) and paid me USD$450 for each 7 day ticket. I paid $923 for my annual pass so my out of pocket ended up being $473. If I had waited until I got to WDW in December like I planned, my out of pocket would likely have been the same $669 you paid because of that crazy AP price hike.

I think my Mickey Math makes sense :) It better because I didn’t buy just ONE set of APs. Oh no, crazy me couldn’t resist a “deal” so I have two sets of AP vouchers - more reasons to return!

What do you mean by removed the discount that was given to AM? Were they originally the CDN discounted tickets and the CM decided to give you the value of the reg flex ticket?

I'm planning on using my AM to purchase either two 7 day CDN discounted or two regular 7 day flex tickets with the intention of upgrading to AP Gold (i'm DVC). I'm trying to figure out what the best method would be and what my cost will likely be.

As I mentioned previously, I had the regular 7 day and 5 day WDW flex tickets, not the Canadian discount ones currently available from AM. The CM removed the discount that WDW gives Air Miles when they sold them the tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!