Exactly how busy is the American Thanksgiving weekend?

Zombie

Mouseketeer
Hello ... we are considering doing a Disney trip that would fall on the American Thanksgiving period this year. We usually go the week after Thanksgiving but with it falling so late in November this year, it looks like it would work out that we'd have to be there over the Thanksgiving weekend.

We would be arriving on Nov. 26 or 27 and departing sometime between Dec. 3-5.

We would be looking at staying on property and using the "free" Disney Dining Plan. And we'd have 4-Day park hopper tickets.

Generally, we don't spend whole days in the parks. We usually only do about 3-5 hours -- generally in the early morning or the early evening. Animal Kingdom and Epcot for the Candlelight Processional would be priorities.

We do enjoy doing a lot of the "free" stuff at Disney, such as resort hopping, having a meal at a different resort, looking at the gingerbread/Christmas displays and spending day-time hours at Disney Springs. We also usually like to get a mini-putt and/or a waterpark day in.

We have a health issue in our family so we really are slow moving and tend to keep days shorter and go with the flow.

We really aren't sure we'd get our money's worth with this trip falling over the Thanksgiving weekend. We are concerned it might be so crowded that we can't really move or enjoy the time in the parks. And/or that we might struggle to get Fast Passes or dining reservations with it being a holiday weekend.

Does anyone have any experience over the Thanksgiving period and what it really looks like? I know it's listed as a high-capacity time on the sites.

We one year accidentally went to NYC over American Thanksgiving weekend (not Thanksgiving day) and when we realized we thought it might be busy there out and about but it was absolutely dead.

Extremely busy. A lot of schools get 5 days off for the holiday and Disney is the place to go. We went one year and arrived on a Tue it was not crowded but on Wed we were like where did all these people come from

Almost everybody has the day off work on Thanksgiving unless they have an emergency services type job. Many (if not most) businesses are closed the next day as well. I think most schools are closed Thanksgiving and Friday. Not only is Disney busy, but all airports are crowded with people traveling to see family.

Also, even if you can get a hotel room that is not an indication of crowd size if locals choose to go to the parks.

My son was there with his girlfriend and some of her family last year Thanksgiving weekend- they drove down early that Fri. morning, went to AK, did the other parks Sat, Sun, and part of Mon, then drove back Mon evening. He said even though they got on some rides quicker because of the DAS, it was still insane and chaotic with long waits and so many people walking around. He said busier than the summer trips we've done and busier than when we went during Spring Break with his school band.
I would think if you're going during the dates you stated but only planning to do true park days for 4 of those, it's totally doable. The Wed. before Thanksgiving could be a potential park day, then Thu-Sun you can spend doing all the other activities you mentioned, then do your other park days Mon-Wed. If your family is used to moving at a slower pace it probably won't bother you, but depending on mobility issues within your group it may be challenging. Good luck!

very busy.
the week of thanksgiving was not the most fun i have had.
i went with someone who has never been so he didn't know any difference and i didn't really indicate too much but when we had to wait 50 minutes for astro orbiters and when we got up to the ride he was like "this is it?" i felt horrible 🙄

We went one year thanksgiving week and the crowds were ok up until Wed. Then, like previous posters stated, it got really busy. I'm glad we had done world showcase earlier in the week because when we did Saturday, it was wall to wall people. Very difficult to see any of the Santa's around the world. We are planning to go 2nd week Dec next year hoping it will be better.

We were there last year. It was the most busy I have ever seen it. (We have never done Easter or Christmas week). It was manageable, but VERY crowded. At the time, I said never again....now I am thinking about going this year.....

How are you getting free dining? I'm booked for a week starting Nov. 30 and haven't heard anything about free dining during that period.

Hello ... we are considering doing a Disney trip that would fall on the American Thanksgiving period this year. We usually go the week after Thanksgiving but with it falling so late in November this year, it looks like it would work out that we'd have to be there over the Thanksgiving weekend.

We would be arriving on Nov. 26 or 27 and departing sometime between Dec. 3-5.

We would be looking at staying on property and using the "free" Disney Dining Plan. And we'd have 4-Day park hopper tickets.

Generally, we don't spend whole days in the parks. We usually only do about 3-5 hours -- generally in the early morning or the early evening. Animal Kingdom and Epcot for the Candlelight Processional would be priorities.

We do enjoy doing a lot of the "free" stuff at Disney, such as resort hopping, having a meal at a different resort, looking at the gingerbread/Christmas displays and spending day-time hours at Disney Springs. We also usually like to get a mini-putt and/or a waterpark day in.

We have a health issue in our family so we really are slow moving and tend to keep days shorter and go with the flow.

We really aren't sure we'd get our money's worth with this trip falling over the Thanksgiving weekend. We are concerned it might be so crowded that we can't really move or enjoy the time in the parks. And/or that we might struggle to get Fast Passes or dining reservations with it being a holiday weekend.

Does anyone have any experience over the Thanksgiving period and what it really looks like? I know it's listed as a high-capacity time on the sites.

We one year accidentally went to NYC over American Thanksgiving weekend (not Thanksgiving day) and when we realized we thought it might be busy there out and about but it was absolutely dead.

Just for future reference, Thanksgiving is always the 4th Thursday of November. It’s not late this year, it’s right on time!

Also for future reference, no "almost everyone except emergency services" does not have off for Thanksgiving. Obviously, people at Disney work, along with the airlines that get them there. Most manufacturing/production works 24/7/365. Many restaurants are open. Grocery stores are open so you can pick up your precooked Thanksgiving meal. Nursing homes. College meal services who cook for those who can't go home. Gas stations. Etc, etc.

Sorry, but it drives me crazy when people think that because they have the day off, everyone else does too.

How are you getting free dining? I'm booked for a week starting Nov. 30 and haven't heard anything about free dining during that period.

UK travelers have different offers available to them than domestic travelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter