Exactly what we needed...$467.00 of

My husband does the shopping and I give him a very specific list. I even itemize it by row so he can do it without having to pay too much attention.

He is one for going off list but not too bad. He does call or text multiple times every trip though just to make sure he's getting the right size or shape of something lol

DH also knows which type of shampoo and deodorant I use, remembers to pick up treats for the pets, and (back when i needed such things) had no problem finding and buying the correct feminine items.

I can only imagine husbands who are bringing home "the wrong things" are bringing home things they'd actually like. Maybe take some notes buy the poor guy a pack of Ding Dongs once in a while LOL.
I'd "like" this more than once if I could! :worship:
My husband does the shopping and I give him a very specific list. I even itemize it by row so he can do it without having to pay too much attention.

He is one for going off list but not too bad. He does call or text multiple times every trip though just to make sure he's getting the right size or shape of something lol
Oh yeah, been there! My DH facetimed me once so I could walk him through the isles and help him find where this particular store kept the gnocci. Not that I don't want to help you, Hon, but they pay people in the store to know where stuff is - ask one of them!! :rotfl:

I'd "like" this more than once if I could! :worship:

Oh yeah, been there! My DH facetimed me once so I could walk him through the isles and help him find where this particular store kept the gnocci. Not that I don't want to help you, Hon, but they pay people in the store to know where stuff is - ask one of them!! :rotfl:

LOL I get pictures of pork chops asking if they're good enough

Do all of you who are joking (or not joking) about your husbands' inability to grocery shop never grocery shop together? Does he never cook??

Like, I don't understand this. I know what to buy because I know what kind of food we cook. It's not rocket science. It's called paying attention.

We shopped together when we were 1st married but unless we're out somewhere and decide to stop at the store we don't anymore.

My husband can shop but I have to write a very specific list. I can't write fruit or yogurt like I would if I were going. I have to write brand, flavor, size etc. Also if it isn't available he won't improvise. It's entirely too much prep work for me.

He doesn't cook. For years he worked long hours and had a long commute so it didn't make sense. I honestly don't want him to cook since he has no idea of what's healthy and I care a lot about not eating garbage.

He does shop when things are on sale. That's where things like crackers and cookies come from.

Do all of you who are joking (or not joking) about your husbands' inability to grocery shop never grocery shop together? Does he never cook??

Like, I don't understand this. I know what to buy because I know what kind of food we cook. It's not rocket science. It's called paying attention.

My husband never grocery shops, and he never cooks. I cook 3 meals a day, 7 days a week (I prepare and pack lunch for everyone during the week when we are working/at school). I don't even like to take the family to the grocery store with me - I need to concentrate to get everything I need for the week and stay under budget, and I find them distracting.

And holy cow - $467 is more than my grocery budget for the MONTH this month for 5 people!

My husband never grocery shops, and he never cooks. I cook 3 meals a day, 7 days a week (I prepare and pack lunch for everyone during the week when we are working/at school). I don't even like to take the family to the grocery store with me - I need to concentrate to get everything I need for the week and stay under budget, and I find them distracting.

And holy cow - $467 is more than my grocery budget for the MONTH this month for 5 people!
As somebody whose grocery bill is off the charts because I don't have the energy to prioritize reducing it, I bow to you. :worship: I can only imagine how much time and effort you put in.

DH also knows which type of shampoo and deodorant I use, remembers to pick up treats for the pets, and (back when i needed such things) had no problem finding and buying the correct feminine items.

I can only imagine husbands who are bringing home "the wrong things" are bringing home things they'd actually like. Maybe take some notes buy the poor guy a pack of Ding Dongs once in a while LOL.

I agree. I always feel bad when DH brings home something from the grocery store that I'd never buy or fix. He loves sushi and fish, but I hate seafood, so I just don't think to buy it much.

That's why I use Kroger Clicklist. It does add $5 to your bill, but you can shop on your computer and plan and budget better.

:worship: Exactly! :thumbsup2

When I read the OP, and she said it's not food she likes or eats, I thought, "Maybe he's giving you a clue, that HE would like to eat that stuff?" And $467 is a BIG clue. ;) :p $50 would be a little splurge. $467 is "Get the message?" ;)

It also sounds like he bought a lot of "quick cooking" stuff, the packages where he can just add water to, or take a can opener and open them, pop them in the microwave. I bet he woke up that morning, looked in the fridge, cupboards & pantry and saw there was nothing he wanted to eat. That's when he decided to go binge-shopping on all the stuff HE'D eat, from time to time if they were in the pantry. So he got them.

If that money was all his, then he has a right to buy what he wants. (Just make sure he eats it. :p )

If that was from the joint fund and it severely impacts the household budget, I'd be calling the grocery store and asking if you can return/exchange those canned goods, and what other pre-packaged foods can be returned/exchanged. You can't be the first spouse who's asked to return stuff because the spouse went shopping. :headache: The stores are probably used to it. :upsidedow

That's why I use Kroger Clicklist. It does add $5 to your bill, but you can shop on your computer and plan and budget better.

I've tried that three times now - the first time it took almost an hour from them to bring me my food, the second time they made a bunch of substitutions for things we don't eat, and the third time I was very specific about the substitutions I wanted so they just left all the items out that they didn't have, and I had to make another trip to the grocery store to get everything. :( I wish that service was more reliable in my area!

OMG....Too funny. Reminds me of someone on these boards complaining about their DH and shopping. She sent him out for ham and cheese to make sandwiches and he came back with a can of cheez whiz and a steak...I almost died laughing.

My cousin's daughter used to work in a supermarket deli. She says there were plenty of guys who'd request 1/2 pound of ham or turkey breast. Most larger supermarkets have a dozen or more varieties of ham and turkey. When she asked the guys what kind of ham, a lot of them would get the deer-in-the-headlights expression on their faces and mutter "uh, ah, I dunno, the wife just said to get ham." That's when she knew to give them the designated "Clueless Husband" variety, something middle-of-the-road, not too expensive nor too cheap.

However, I really can't blame some of the guys. If they don't normally do the shopping and the wives want something in particular, they should specify Dietz & Watson low-salt Virginia Ham, not just assume he knows the variety she prefers.

Love this thread! It made me remember my dad's grocery shopping. -- he bought the stuff he liked. Lovely things like tinned kippered herrings and pickled walnuts. Things nobody else could stand!

My father was notorious for bringing home oddball stuff like that from the supermarket, most of which he never ate.

It often an adventure when DH returns from the market; he almost always buys something unusual, but unlike my father, DH will actually use or eat what he buys.

I've tried that three times now - the first time it took almost an hour from them to bring me my food, the second time they made a bunch of substitutions for things we don't eat, and the third time I was very specific about the substitutions I wanted so they just left all the items out that they didn't have, and I had to make another trip to the grocery store to get everything. :( I wish that service was more reliable in my area!

Well boo. :( Ours is pretty good. I have had substitutions, but they've always given me as good as or better quality things (organic when I ordered regular, more expensive brand of bacon, etc). And I've never sat there for longer than 5 minutes before they brought out the groceries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter