Exchange in Southern California

docg

Earning My Ears
Just returned from a week long exchange to Capistrano Beach in Southern California. We had a two bedroom at the Riviera Beach and Spa resort. Our two bedroom unit wass in the first phase building, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The resort is 60 minutes from the San Diego airport and 30 minutes from Disneyland. We arrived on Sunday evening and check in was fine. They stress that you are only allowed up to six people in the two bedroom and four in the one bedroom. They also reccommend checking all room inventory. The two bedrooms are sufficient, though not as big as Disney rooms. There was one bedroom with its own bath, and a second bathroom, living room with pull out couch and a small kitchen area that had a fridge, convection microwave and grill. There was a nice size patio that had a BBQ on it with a table and four chairs. The resort had two pools and a few scheduled activities during the day.

Our first full day we did the San Diego zoo and had a great time and would highly reccommend. The next day we went to Disneyland and stayed overnight at the Disneyland hotel. Couldn't pass up 23 points a night. Also wasn't sure how far the Exchange hotel in Capistrano beach was from Disneyland. We got to the Disneyland hotel at around 9 am and looked for breakfast. Low and behold my wife gets us into Goofy's breakfast and the kids are in their glory with the characters. Would agree that Disney World does a better job of making sure the characters hit all tables more efficiently, but we got to see the characters and I feel the buffet was one of the best as they had eggs made to order, love my omeletes. The kids also liked eating chicken nuggets for breakfast. We used the fast pass hints (Thanks All) and saw just about everything at Disneyland on Day one. Day Two we hit California Adventure until closing and than went over to Disneyland for the remainder of the evening as it was open 3hrs later than California Adventure. Though we have traveled many time to Disney World we truly enjoyed ourselves in Disneyland. We got lucky in California Adventure as we showed up to Ariel's Grotto at about 3 to have lunch and my wife was able to get us seated without PS, and my girls got to see all their favorite princesses.

We also went to Legoland this trip. Legoland is 30 minutes north or San Diego and 30 minutes south of our hotel in Capistrano Beach. The hotel is also near Dana Point which is a beatiful Harbor with nice shops, restaurants and boats. We also took a five minute drive to San Clemente to use the beach there as it was less rocky than the one across from the hotel.

Overall I am thrilled with my exchange. I know there are many DVC'ers who look down on those that exchange, and don't rent out their points instead. I am in favor of outright exchanges as it required no out of pocket expense and no contracts (or minor headaches and possible liabilities?) with renters. I must say that we were wait listed with member services for a few months for So. California before they matched us to this resort, but in the end we matched. I hope in the future exchanges are more readily available.

The exchange also forced me to take a full 7 day vacation. We rarely use DVC for a full week as we like to go often to Disney World and try to make at least two trips a year for 4-5 days each. If I was paying per night for lodging, I don't think I would have done 7 nights. For this reason alone, the exchange was well worth it for me. I also think 23 points a night at the Disneyland hotel is a great deal.

Pleas feel free to ask more specific questions. :cool1:

I am already looking forward to our April 2006 2 bedroom at Boardwalk Villas

Great trip report! My dh and I had our wedding ceremony on the cliffs above Dana Point--sounds like you got to enjoy the best of the whole area. Did your family enjoy Legoland? We've only been there once, but plan to go back sometime.

docg, technically almost all 2 BR units gotten in exchange are for 6 people. Even exchanging DVC, you can't ask for one for more than 6 people using a 2 BR. What you can do is ask for 6 for a resort you know sleeps 8 and will allow 8. Some are more strict about the policy than others thus you should do your homework before you accept or even ask for a given exchange. I know of people having to get a hotel room or pay extra if they were over the limit. In one case I know of a family was refused usage.

Many resorts have you do a room inventory, I've mentioned it on the boards before. Some use it as an opportunity to charge you for things no there, others it's just a tool to discourage theft. If given one, I'd recommend you always do it promptly AND accurately and turn it in. Otherwise you may find charges for things you shouldn't be responsible for.

As for exchange value, you must look at each scenario individually.

Dean Thanks for the info. As this was my first time with an exchange, time share resort and appreciate your info for the future.

Dis-happy. My family truly enjoyed Legoland. My oldest is 9 and the youngets is 3. There were many rides for all of them. A few shows, a 4-D movie and just a nice relaxed pace. The park is very clean and family friendly. There are areas for the children to play with legos next to the Ques where the parents wait on line and the kids get to the front of the line when the parents get to the front as well. Pretty neat to keep the kids entertained while one parent waited on line. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter