"Exchanging" Disney Reward Dollars

HLAuburn

DIS Veteran
We've managed to save up quite a few Disney rewards points using our Disney Visa, but we want to take a non-Disney trip this summer (scandalous, I know ;)).
I know you can't sell / transfer them, but is there a legit way to somehow exchange them to use for something else?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

I don't think there's any non-Disney way to use them, at least not "legally."

We've managed to save up quite a few Disney rewards points using our Disney Visa, but we want to take a non-Disney trip this summer (scandalous, I know ;)).
I know you can't sell / transfer them, but is there a legit way to somehow exchange them to use for something else?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Sorry, but you can only use them for Disney related purchases (store, tickets,etc). Guess you will just have to keep them for your next trip!! :)

I always buy Disney gift cards with my points then let them sit until I need them. Last fall I needed some $$ so I sold some on eBay and some to a gift card company although sometimes at a bit less than face value (technically I did not lose any money because I got them for free). I saw people selling the redemption cards on eBay. Maybe someone going on a trip would buy your redemption card or gift cards (no shipping charge when you order online)? I'm going in July, I might consider it?

We've managed to save up quite a few Disney rewards points using our Disney Visa, but we want to take a non-Disney trip this summer (scandalous, I know ;)). I know you can't sell / transfer them, but is there a legit way to somehow exchange them to use for something else? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks :)

If you upgrade your card to the Premier level you can use your points towards the cost of plane tickets and you will get more points for upgrading your card.

We use our points to cover the cost of flying. You can use any airline, anytime you want.

You can sell them on eBay. I've bought them on there (at a discount) and bought my WDW tickets with them. :)

Silly question...I have some to cash in as well. Do they just transfer them onto a gift card?

Silly question...I have some to cash in as well. Do they just transfer them onto a gift card?
They transfer it to a card which has a expiration date unlike a gift card which does not.

Yep, it's transferred to a Rewards Redemption Card, which does have an expiration date. However, you may use that to purchase Disney Gift Cards, which do not expire.

Enjoy your vacation!

I didn't realize that you could use them to buy gift cards, what a good idea. I'm going to be making a reservation and using my rewards points. Now I know that if I have to cancel I won't have to blow the points buying stuff at The Disney Store before my reward card expires (which I had to do a few years ago). I don't know why they put an expiration date on the rewards cards anyway...

About how long until they expire? Can I give them to someone else or are they in my name?

Using the redemption certificate that Chase issues you (which does expire) to purchase Disney gift cards (which do not expire) is the best route.

Someone mentioned that the redemption certificates sell on eBay. I once bought one, knowing it was a risky proposition, because if the card holder had already closed the card by the time the certificate arrived, I was out of luck. I did immediately use it to purchase a gift card at my Disney store. Technically, you are not allowed to sell the certs on eBay, but, technically, there are lots of things you are not allowed to sell on eBay that appear all the time! As an eBayer myself, I would recommend to anyone with the redemption cert to first convert it into a Disney gift card and sell that on eBay.

Can you tell me more about using the rewards dollars for flights? Do you book a flight and then apply the dollars as a statement credit? We have a lot to use and don't have a trip to Disney planned any time soon.

Can you tell me more about using the rewards dollars for flights? Do you book a flight and then apply the dollars as a statement credit? We have a lot to use and don't have a trip to Disney planned any time soon.

First, you must have the Premier card to be eligible to use the rewards for airline travel. This is from the Disney Visa website:

• If I am a Disney Premier Visa Cardmember, how do I redeem my Disney Dream Reward Dollars® toward airline travel?
    Just purchase airline tickets on any airline to any destination using your Disney Premier Visa Card and then pay yourself back by converting your Disney Dream Reward Dollars into a credit on your monthly statement. Each Disney Dream Reward Dollarcan be redeemed for a $1 credit on your statement.

Within 60 days of your airline ticket purchase, you can redeem your Disney Dream Reward Dollars for a credit on your statement by going to the Manage My Account section and selecting the "Redeem toward airline travel" option on that page, or by calling 1-800-300-8575. The credit will appear on your statement between 1 and 2 billing cycles from the time you redeem. Please note that there are no returns on Disney Dream Reward Dollars redeemed for statement credits.

Thank you for your response, lanejudy! I appreciate the info. Looks like we have a lot of Disney Dream Reward Dollars to put towards a flight. It's a perk of our card I had completely forgotten about! :)

Thank you for your response, lanejudy! I appreciate the info. Looks like we have a lot of Disney Dream Reward Dollars to put towards a flight. It's a perk of our card I had completely forgotten about! :)

There appears to be a change in Disney Dream Reward Dollars Expiration. See following from Cardmember Program Guide:

Q: Do my Disney Dream Reward Dollars expire? A: Disney Dream Reward Dollars in your Disney Rewards account will expire 5 years from the date they are earned (and posted to your account). If you were issued a Redemption Card during the calendar years of 2014 and 2015, it may have an expiration on the card, so if you have not redeemed all of the Disney Dream Reward Dollars prior to the expiration date on the Redemption Card, you may transfer those Disney Dream Reward Dollars to a new Redemption Card. Once you transfer your Disney Dream Reward Dollars to a new Redemption Card, the Disney Dream Reward Dollars on the new Redemption Card will not expire.

We use ours every years to offset some DVC dues. If this was not an option, I would purchase gift cards or park tickets/AP.

We just got one at the very beginning of January and they NO LONGER have an expiration date. The points untouched, still on the credit card statement, still show a date. Not an issue for us as we go every year, but those that don't, just move them over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!