Exclusive-use Points - The Thread

By the way, don't look at the ROFR threads from early 2017 and before, unless you want to cry. Even in 2017, I looked at prices that passed ROFR in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and ... šŸ˜­

That's why I wrote this! I feel horrible now! Starting to have buyers remorse... :(

I don't have MVP points; all of my DVC points are SAP.

FWIW, I refuse to believe that my SAP will be, forever, locked out from booking some "shiny bauble of the day." I've been successful in the past with our DVC reservations and intend to be successful in the future. This perspective has protected me from chasing points at multiple resorts. My DVC points are "network points" across the system.

Exclusive Use:
PVB: July 4th
BRV: Thanksgiving
VGF: December

Sleep Around Points
SSR

Last edited:

Engineer? Surgeon? So accurate, concise, and precise! Hahaha.

:D
We just want to make sure we stay where and when we want to. Especially with securing 3 rooms during these three time periods, having the 11 month window is crucial.

What we love about DVC is the ability to stay in very different places. We have points at BLT, VGF, CCV and SSR and have stayed everywhere except BWV, and VGC. Canā€™t wait to try DRR! We love all our home resorts too.

My BWV points are the ones I use for specific stays there for Food & Wine or Flower & Garden. So, I save those to be used last and use my SSR points for the other trips. Of course, I love the MK area so I also consider saving my BWV points for the times when I know maybe trading out at 7 months will be more difficult since if I can't stay at on of the MK resorts, I want to at least be at BWV. If I know 7 month switches will be easier, I just use my SSR points!

Our exclusive use are BWV and our SAP are BLT. We bought BLT back in late 2016 getting a loaded contract (full banked 2015 and mostly banked 2016 points) for $115 pp.....and we were a little disappointed we couldnā€™t get them down to $110 like the contract we had taken in ROFR earlier that summer....šŸ¤£
We could sell our contract now and have had 5 years worth of points almost free after paying broker commission.
We bought BWV end of 2014 back when it was under $100 pp resale-we have a small contract so we were in the $90s pp but large contracts then were easily going in the $80s.......prices sure have gone up, up, up....

We use our Boardwalk points for Boardwalk only. Usually the standard view rooms.

Our Animal Kingdom points were our sleep around points until we actually stayed at Jambo House in a value studio. Now we are more inclined to use these points at points expensive times of year for this resort only.

Our recently acquired Bay Lake Tower points are our sleep around points. The points charts are a bit high but I wanted a contract beyond 2042 with walkability to a theme park.

G
We use our Boardwalk points for Boardwalk only. Usually the standard view rooms.

Our Animal Kingdom points were our sleep around points until we actually stayed at Jambo House in a value studio. Now we are more inclined to use these points at points expensive times of year for this resort only.

Our recently acquired Bay Lake Tower points are our sleep around points. The points charts are a bit high but I wanted a contract beyond 2042 with walkability to a theme park.
Great example of adapting with the circumstances & situations!

<snip>...because someone is yucking your yum (my seven-year-old taught me that one)<snip>

Love that! I'm gonna go teach my 45 year-old wife that!

Seriously though, I'm also new to DVC and bought DRR direct in July. I am with the consensus that the new resale restrictions are, in general, a liability for the DRR owner if/when they need to sell. Through research, and realization of how I would use DVC, I concluded that DRR would be the first contract I would buy and the last contract I would sell. Yup, I knew that and I knew it wouldn't be the only one.

So I bought Aulani first! Makes sense, I was in Hawaii, stayed there for 1 night and a day in June. Paid over $600 for a standard view hotel room with capacity of 4 (we are a party of 5). My wife and I were always DVC-curious and after a long morning at the pool, we left the kids and took an impromptu tour through a model 1-BR Villa while cutting to the elevators. We set up a visit with a DVC Guide for later that afternoon. Our guide, Don, was a low-pressure type of guy, with an easy way about him even when we talked about the resale market (he actually clued ME in on its existence!). Dear Wife (DW) and I then went to our next lodging nearby to think about it, and that's when I started researching. Don eventually "guided" us into buying 150 points in Aulani ($188/pt) mainly by stressing the free 2018 points and 20 perpetual incentive points. When I returned to the mainland, and after more research and discussion with DW, I rescinded on day 9 out of 10. Don was cool with that, happy that I was changing over to DRR but sad that I ignored similar incentive points for DRR to buy only 75.

I changed to DRR because I observed in my research that contracts can be categorized as exclusive-use points (EUP) and sleep-around points (SAP). My rationale for DRR was essentially a process of elimination. As a newbie to DVC, I only had two choices in front of me...Aulani v DRR. I knew through research that I could hold out for minimal 75 points at SSR, but I decided I wouldn't. I was determined to go the hybrid route of minimum threshold for direct ownership + resale points. Being in SoCal and within 50 miles to Disneyland, put me in a position to min/max DVC. I read members like @skier_pete espouse using his small BWV contract for BWV only during Food and Wine festival at EPCOT. I thought that was wise because using a contract that way maximizes its value. So I adopted a personal strategy to have strict EUP and SAP. DRR (which one could only get direct) would be my EUP in Florida. I then purchased a 160 pt Grand Cal (VGC) contract to use as my EUP in California. Then I searched for a Saratoga Springs (SSR) contract (widely viewed as the most "economical" resort in DVC, with the exception of the super-rare subsidized Aulani contract) to use as SAP anywhere. The value of this 200 pt. SSR contract would be maximized by picking up the last minute cancellations of 1 and 2-BR VGC that I see every so often. Cherry on top: I stumbled upon a SUBSIDIZED Aulani contract and pulled the trigger because...no brainer!

Is there a difference among EUP contracts? If I had a BWV contract, I would only use it for BWV at 11 months. I have a VGC contract, and I would only use it at 11 months. I have a SRR contract, I would mostly use it within 7 mo at other resorts because the more I use it elsewhere, the more added value I get. I have a subsidized Aulani contract, and the more I use it at VGF, or VGC within the 7-mo window, the better!

Last edited:
Love that! I'm gonna go teach my 45 year-old wife that!

Seriously though, I'm also new to DVC and bought DRR direct in July. I am with the consensus that the new resale restrictions are, in general, a liability for the DRR owner if/when they need to sell. Through research, and realization of how I would use DVC, I concluded that DRR would be the first contract I would buy and the last contract I would sell. Yup, I knew that and I knew it wouldn't be the only one.

So I bought Aulani first! Makes sense, I was in Hawaii, stayed there for 1 night and a day in June. Paid over $600 for a standard view hotel room with capacity of 4 (we are a party of 5). My wife and I were always DVC-curious and after a long morning at the pool, we left the kids and took an impromptu tour through a model 1-BR Villa while cutting to the elevators. We set up a visit with a DVC Guide for later that afternoon. Our guide, Don, was a low-pressure type of guy, with an easy way about him even when we talked about the resale market (he actually clued ME in on its existence!). Dear Wife (DW) and I then went to our next lodging nearby to think about it, and that's when I started researching. Don eventually "guided" us into buying 150 points in Aulani ($188/pt) mainly by stressing the free 2018 points and 20 perpetual incentive points. When I returned to the mainland, and after more research and discussion with DW, I rescinded on day 9 out of 10. Don was cool with that, happy that I was changing over to DRR but sad that I ignored similar incentive points for DRR to buy only 75.

I changed to DRR because I observed in my research that contracts can be categorized as exclusive-use points (EUP) and sleep-around points (SAP). My rationale for DRR was essentially a process of elimination. As a newbie to DVC, I only had two choices in front of me...Aulani v DRR. I knew through research that I could hold out for minimal 75 points at SSR, but I decided I wouldn't. I was determined to go the hybrid route of minimum threshold for direct ownership + resale points. Being in SoCal and within 50 miles to Disneyland, put me in a position to min/max DVC. I read members like @skier_pete espouse using his small BWV contract for BWV only during Food and Wine festival at EPCOT. I thought that was wise because using a contract that way maximizes its value. So I adopted a personal strategy to have strict EUP and SAP. DRR (which one could only get direct) would be my EUP in Florida. I then purchased a 160 pt Grand Cal (VGC) contract to use as my EUP in California. Then I searched for a Saratoga Springs (SSR) contract (widely viewed as the most "economical" resort in DVC, with the exception of the super-rare subsidized Aulani contract) to use as SAP anywhere. The value of this 200 pt. SSR contract would be maximized by picking up the last minute cancellations of 1 and 2-BR VGC that I see every so often. Cherry on top: I stumbled upon a SUBSIDIZED Aulani contract and pulled the trigger because...no brainer!

Is there a difference among EUP contracts? If I had a BWV contract, I would only use it for BWV at 11 months. I have a VGC contract, and I would only use it at 11 months. I have a SRR contract, I would mostly use it within 7 mo at other resorts because the more I use it elsewhere, the more added value I get. I have a subsidized Aulani contract, and the more I use it at VGF, or VGC within the 7-mo window, the better!

I'd say you hit a HR with all of your acquisitions. Definitely glad that you rescinded that Aulani and then got one via resale. You're a quick study!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter