Excursion to Dry Tortugas from Key West

RedSox68

Retired 2021 -- All the Time to Travel Now!
Anyone done this as a port excursion -- either independently or through the ship? Is it doable for a one-day visit? Thanks.

Ship does not have an excursion to Dry Tortugas. By Ferry, it is not possible - the one company that runs the ferry excursions starts at 8am and it is a 9-10 hour trip. I do think there are excursions by air that would get you out there but personally, while it was a great day, I don't think it's worth the cost for a seaplane trip. (And if you even have time for that depends on how long you are in port. It still takes 45-60 minutes to fly out there.)

Ship does not have an excursion to Dry Tortugas. By Ferry, it is not possible - the one company that runs the ferry excursions starts at 8am and it is a 9-10 hour trip. I do think there are excursions by air that would get you out there but personally, while it was a great day, I don't think it's worth the cost for a seaplane trip. (And if you even have time for that depends on how long you are in port. It still takes 45-60 minutes to fly out there.)

The ship is in port from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., but if it starts at 8 am. then it may not work. Best saved for when we have time to stay there a couple of days I guess. Thanks.

If you take the seaplane you should be ok. I didn’t realize the ship stays in port so late but I guess it makes sense with the night life.

I drove down to Key West from Miami last year and took the boat to Dry Tortugas. It is a long boat ride and several people got seasick but you make the best of it. The fort itself is really cool to check out with plenty of history and you learn about the Lincoln conspirators who were imprisoned there including Dr. Mudd. I was looking forward to the snorkeling but it was very poor with terrible visibility. The food served on the boat was average at best. I don’t see myself doing it again for a long time.

If you take the seaplane you should be ok. I didn’t realize the ship stays in port so late but I guess it makes sense with the night life.

I drove down to Key West from Miami last year and took the boat to Dry Tortugas. It is a long boat ride and several people got seasick but you make the best of it. The fort itself is really cool to check out with plenty of history and you learn about the Lincoln conspirators who were imprisoned there including Dr. Mudd. I was looking forward to the snorkeling but it was very poor with terrible visibility. The food served on the boat was average at best. I don’t see myself doing it again for a long time.

It would be something I'd love for my husband to do because he loves history so. Did you get enough time at the fort to really tour it? Are there bathrooms on the boat? And what did they serve on the boat to eat? Thanks much.

We are doing the Keys after our cruise and maybe will just do this excursion while we stay in Key West.

It would be something I'd love for my husband to do because he loves history so. Did you get enough time at the fort to really tour it? Are there bathrooms on the boat? And what did they serve on the boat to eat? Thanks much.

We are doing the Keys after our cruise and maybe will just do this excursion while we stay in Key West.
They have you sign up for the tours on the boat before you dock at Fort Jefferson. The tours are limited and they're actually done by the boat crew and not the park rangers. They only have so many spaces and offer tours within a certain window. There are no restrooms at the fort so you'll have to go back to the boat to use the restrooms.

The included breakfast and lunch is nothing special. Think continental breakfast consisting of cereal, bagels, juice, coffee and assorted pastries.
For lunch they have assorted breads, meats, and cheeses so you can make your own sandwich. Along with fruit, chips, cookies soda and water. I pulled this off google.

On the way back they sell food including alcohol. You can only get the alcohol on the return trip.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I definitely suggest doing the excursion after your cruise. The terminal for the Yankee Freedom II is conveniently located across the street from a parking garage so you won't have to worry about parking.

They have you sign up for the tours on the boat before you dock at Fort Jefferson. The tours are limited and they're actually done by the boat crew and not the park rangers. They only have so many spaces and offer tours within a certain window. There are no restrooms at the fort so you'll have to go back to the boat to use the restrooms.

The included breakfast and lunch is nothing special. Think continental breakfast consisting of cereal, bagels, juice, coffee and assorted pastries.
For lunch they have assorted breads, meats, and cheeses so you can make your own sandwich. Along with fruit, chips, cookies soda and water. I pulled this off google.

On the way back they sell food including alcohol. You can only get the alcohol on the return trip.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I definitely suggest doing the excursion after your cruise. The terminal for the Yankee Freedom II is conveniently located across the street from a parking garage so you won't have to worry about parking.

Two questions: is the lunch served on the ship or at the fort? And when you say the tours are limited and you have to sign up, is there a chance that boat passengers won't get on a tour? Thanks much.

Two questions: is the lunch served on the ship or at the fort? And when you say the tours are limited and you have to sign up, is there a chance that boat passengers won't get on a tour? Thanks much.
Lunch is served on the ship but you can make yourself a plate and sit at one of the picnic tables around the fort.

Their website says this about the tours: Once at Dry Tortugas National Park, you will disembark at Fort Jefferson and have the option of joining a 45-minute guided tour. Based on the number of guests who sign up for the tour, it is often offered at two different times in order to accommodate other activities while at the fort.

So you definitely want to make sure you get on that first tour. I was on the second tour but I guess it comes down to demand. If there aren't enough people interested in a second tour then they won't do one.

The food is nothing to write home about. Even though it is included, I had wished we had taken something with us. The ferry is docked all day and you use that as home base. There are several restrooms onboard - it is a long cruise! On ours, there were only a handful of people signed up for the second tour and they did it anyway. Since it is included in the fare, I don't think they can cancel the second tour unless everyone interested was included in the first tour.

I remember feeling like it took forever to get to the island - it was a long morning with having to arrive early. I knew we had to arrive well in advance of the 8am departure and I just checked, you are expected to check-in by 7am. But generally it was a great day and I thought we had plenty of time at the island. We actually spent a lot more time wading in the water than we though - we were going to go snorkel but the fish came to us. Several women had been out snorkeling then we were chatting with them on what they saw and they pointed to the water - the same fish they swam out to see came in. There is a lot of broken glass around (or there was when we were there a couple years ago.) Some of it new and some of it transitioning to sea glass. So if you are a sea glass hunter, you can find some. The ferry back to Key West didn't seem as long - maybe it was that frozen drink that helped!

The food is nothing to write home about. Even though it is included, I had wished we had taken something with us. The ferry is docked all day and you use that as home base. There are several restrooms onboard - it is a long cruise! On ours, there were only a handful of people signed up for the second tour and they did it anyway. Since it is included in the fare, I don't think they can cancel the second tour unless everyone interested was included in the first tour.

I remember feeling like it took forever to get to the island - it was a long morning with having to arrive early. I knew we had to arrive well in advance of the 8am departure and I just checked, you are expected to check-in by 7am. But generally it was a great day and I thought we had plenty of time at the island. We actually spent a lot more time wading in the water than we though - we were going to go snorkel but the fish came to us. Several women had been out snorkeling then we were chatting with them on what they saw and they pointed to the water - the same fish they swam out to see came in. There is a lot of broken glass around (or there was when we were there a couple years ago.) Some of it new and some of it transitioning to sea glass. So if you are a sea glass hunter, you can find some. The ferry back to Key West didn't seem as long - maybe it was that frozen drink that helped!

:thumbsup2:drinking1

The ride out to the fort did feel like it took forever. I zonked out on way back. It’s a really long day.

The ride out to the fort did feel like it took forever. I zonked out on way back. It’s a really long day.

Yeah, we'll have to be prepared for that. That's all we'll do that day, and then just zonk out in the hotel LOL

BTW, anyone who has stayed in Key West -- hotel recommendations would be awesome.

You would need a half day sea plane trip out there. But they only leave at certain times as well. You might find an operator willing to work with you. This is a truly unspoiled national park, but a pain to get to!

Yeah, we'll have to be prepared for that. That's all we'll do that day, and then just zonk out in the hotel LOL

BTW, anyone who has stayed in Key West -- hotel recommendations would be awesome.
I’ve stayed a few times over the years. This Best Western is nice but far away from everything. The trolley does stop there though. It’s very close to the airport so you hear the planes coming in and out. The pool was nice and relaxing.
https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/b...ob=BLBWI0004G&cid=BLBWI0004G:google:gmb:10011

My last time there I stayed at a Marriott property. The rooms were very small and didn’t even have a chair or table so we had to sit on the bed to eat etc. It is closer to everything and has plenty of free parking. The pool was not heated so it was pretty cold even for FL standards.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/eywfi-fairfield-inn-and-suites-key-west/

Both hotels offered a few breakfast in the morning. The Fairfield definitely won that round.

I’ve stayed a few times over the years. This Best Western is nice but far away from everything. The trolley does stop there though. It’s very close to the airport so you hear the planes coming in and out. The pool was nice and relaxing.
https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/b...ob=BLBWI0004G&cid=BLBWI0004G:google:gmb:10011

My last time there I stayed at a Marriott property. The rooms were very small and didn’t even have a chair or table so we had to sit on the bed to eat etc. It is closer to everything and has plenty of free parking. The pool was not heated so it was pretty cold even for FL standards.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/eywfi-fairfield-inn-and-suites-key-west/

Both hotels offered a few breakfast in the morning. The Fairfield definitely won that round.

Thanks.

I've stayed in many, many places on the rock. It helps to know where you want to stay and what your price range is. I really loved Marrerro's Guest Mansion and the Marquesa. Our favorite as a group was a three-house compound we rented for the week of my 40th birthday. I didn't like the La Concha all that much, but a townhouse we rented in Truman Annex was really nice. My favorite was the three-week rental I did in January, 2014, for the Key West Literary Seminar. It was a one-bedroom, three-room cottage on a quiet lane with its own outdoor shower, hot tub, hammock and porch swing. I was in heaven.

The Marriott properties (except for one boutique hotel which is really expensive) are on the northernmost end of the island. Far away from anything that you probably want to see. I would recommend getting on Trip Advisor and doing a search for the best info.

I've stayed in many, many places on the rock. It helps to know where you want to stay and what your price range is. I really loved Marrerro's Guest Mansion and the Marquesa. Our favorite as a group was a three-house compound we rented for the week of my 40th birthday. I didn't like the La Concha all that much, but a townhouse we rented in Truman Annex was really nice. My favorite was the three-week rental I did in January, 2014, for the Key West Literary Seminar. It was a one-bedroom, three-room cottage on a quiet lane with its own outdoor shower, hot tub, hammock and porch swing. I was in heaven.

The Marriott properties (except for one boutique hotel which is really expensive) are on the northernmost end of the island. Far away from anything that you probably want to see. I would recommend getting on Trip Advisor and doing a search for the best info.

Can you give me the link for that cottage? It sounds lovely.

Wow, that is beautiful. Wondering how realistic it is to hunker down in Key West and do some of the keys on daily drives ?!?! That place requires a minimum 7-night stay, but after an intense 11-night cruise itinerary, it might not be so bad to just kick back for a week!

How far is this cottage from the center of things? Thanks.

It's a short walk to everything you could ever want to do. The rock is only 2 miles wide at its widest, only 4 miles long, and this is pretty much smack in the middle of most things to do, while being a couple of blocks off of Duval so it's quieter. It has its own parking space (which is very rare) and it would be easy to go up island for daily drives. It's only 130 miles to Key Largo, but most of what you would want to do up island is south of Key Largo anyway. Honestly, there's so much to do in Key West you may have no need to go up island.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter