Experienced crew returning?

KVH

DIS Veteran
For you insiders - any perspective on how many of the experienced crew will be taking up new contracts and end up back on the same ships from last March?

I know several of us tend to request certain staff on repeat cruises. I'm strongly hoping to see some familiar and friendly faces when we go back in May. The right crew can really make a difference at the right times.

I've seen some Instagram posts of crew that have returned to the ships mostly officers, but some have been assigned to different ships than what they were on prior to the shut down. Have also heard some info that other crew are being recalled, mostly it appears operational (engineering) crew, I guess the hotel side and performers won't be called back until the ships return to the U.S. from France/UK.

I wonder if some of the experienced wait staff and cabin stewards (the folks in tipped positions) may elect not to return. I have chatted with a couple that said they planned on working on the ships 10 years and retiring because saving their tip income was enough to last them a lifetime in their home nations. I wonder if the risk of covid will push some into early retirement?

I think it will be some combination of experienced staff and brand new. Pretty much like its been before all this happened. Some of the experienced staff will have decided to leave the cruise industry and get jobs elsewhere. New people will be hired to fill the empty positions.

CM decisions about coming back may depend somewhat on the economic conditions in their particular countries. Jobs may be hard to find at home. It has to be a tough decision in these trying times.

I can say at the moment there’s really no movement of marine crew right now. I work for one of the largest global airline groups and I keep asking our marine business person if there’s movement. I figure this is one of the first signs that ships are getting ready to go. There has been some movement but not in the thousands that you would expect for all crew.

Now these are just assumptions but can also see it would be in Disney’s benefit to rehire experience staff. Who knows what the lead time is that they will need to get the crew back on board and able to work ( training completed). . I figure experienced crew would just maybe need to have safety requalification trainIng and on changes to new processes due to Covid. It’s less risk for Disney to rehire these people as opposed to starting completely new contracts with a longer training time. I don’t think there’ll be many weeks of planning/ training available before there’s a sail date. I would think that Disney would only have a month or two time to really decide now we can sail. As things are just so dynamic

Another assumption is I could see Disney paying crew to be furloughed and being on stand by in their home countries. I could see them signing contracts stating you’ll get this minimum payment but as a guarantee when we say go, you go. I would think the time, cost and process to completely rehire crews for all four ships is probably more than paying a minimal “stipend “ that keeps them afloat in their home countries.
Cost-of-living is very low n many of these countries and seeing how desperate things are, a few hundred dollars a month can keep many afloat. And a better option than what is available right now at home. Which is nothing seeing that many of these home countries are tourist destinations and basically no jobs at the moment. Many of these countries don’t have unemployment benefits like western countries.

It’s a bit OT, but crews are hurting right now in their home countries. And when I see what we are paying for some of these new sailings especially those in higher categories it would be a very nice, charitable thing to give more tip than required. It’s obvious that the Covid economy hasn’t hit many of us.

Last edited:

I hope we get most of the top tier Concierge hosts back like Danny, Andy and so many others that make the trip even more special. They feel like part of the family to see them again each time we go back.

I hope we get most of the top tier Concierge hosts back like Danny, Andy and so many others that make the trip even more special. They feel like part of the family to see them again each time we go back.

We have our first concierge cruise booked for Sept 21 with 2 more scheduled after that. Really excited to get to experience what you all talk about.

I can say at the moment there’s really no movement of marine crew right now. I work for one of the largest global airline groups and I keep asking our marine business person if there’s movement. I figure this is one of the first signs that ships are getting ready to go. There has been some movement but not in the thousands that you would expect for all crew.

Now these are just assumptions but can also see it would be in Disney’s benefit to rehire experience staff. Who knows what the lead time is that they will need to get the crew back on board and able to work ( training completed). . I figure experienced crew would just maybe need to have safety requalification trainIng and on changes to new processes due to Covid. It’s less risk for Disney to rehire these people as opposed to starting completely new contracts with a longer training time. I don’t think there’ll be many weeks of planning/ training available before there’s a sail date. I would think that Disney would only have a month or two time to really decide now we can sail. As things are just so dynamic

Another assumption is I could see Disney paying crew to be furloughed and being on stand by in their home countries. I could see them signing contracts stating you’ll get this minimum payment but as a guarantee when we say go, you go. I would think the time, cost and process to completely rehire crews for all four ships is probably more than paying a minimal “stipend “ that keeps them afloat in their home countries.
Cost-of-living is very low n many of these countries and seeing how desperate things are, a few hundred dollars a month can keep many afloat. And a better option than what is available right now at home. Which is nothing seeing that many of these home countries are tourist destinations and basically no jobs at the moment. Many of these countries don’t have unemployment benefits like western countries.

It’s a bit OT, but crews are hurting right now in their home countries. And when I see what we are paying for some of these new sailings especially those in higher categories it would be a very nice, charitable thing to give more tip than required. It’s obvious that the Covid economy hasn’t hit many of us.

DCL ship crew, for the most part, have not been furloughed. Theyve been left with no pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts