Experiences with Delta Hauling Your Scooter

clkelley

<font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo
We will be borrowing my grandmother's scooter when we go to Orlando for our August trip.

As many topics have discussed before, my hubby doesn't need it on a day to day basis, but walking in WDW for 8 days will be too much for him, thus the scooter.

After reading Delta's website, it seems fairly simple to just drive the thing to the gate and gate check it.

Has anyone else here had experience with this. Is the procedure really as simple as it sounds? Does Delta take good care of your scooter?

Also, with the transfer in Atlanta, should we get it ourselves or let them handle it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Have a Great Disney Day!

Carol
10/97 All-Star Sports 9 nights
01/98 Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive 3 nights
12/98 All-Star Sports 3 nights RADP-III
11/99 All-Star Music 6 nights
12/99 All-Star Music 3 nights RADP-IV
02/00 All-Star Sports 4 nights
06/00 Travelodge & Sleep Inn 192 4 nights
12/00 All-Star Music 6 nights RADP-V
08/01 All-Star Sports 8 nights
09/01 All-Star Sports 5 nights
12/01 Ft. Wilderness Tent Site 5 nights RADP-VI
07/02 All-Star Movies or Pop Century 14 nights

Hi,

Delta is reasonably good about handling someone's scooter - no worsse than any of the other airlines.

I've done a lot of travel with my scooter, and here's some advice:

1 - INSIST on talking with the "ramp guy" before you board the plane! The gate agents will usually let this happen. Explain that you want to have the person responsible for loading the cargo to talk to you considering that you are loading such an important appliance. Also remember to have the scooter tagged for gate pickup at EACH location (you want to have it on every stop in your flight).

2 - Do any/all disconnections of batteries, etc, yourself. Do not let the ramp crew do it. Explain to the ramp guy what the "important parts" are (like, don't throw a suitcase on the handlebar). Say everything with a smile, but make it clear that you are concerned about the safe arrival of the chair.

3 - Upon boarding the flight, tell the flight attendants that you are having a scooter loaded and it needs to be brought to you upon landing at your destination/layover. They might want to try to pacifiy you with, "If it's tagged they'll bring it up". Again, smile, and say, I understand that, but I'd appreciate if you could have the pilot radio ahead to the crew to advise that there's a scooter on board that needs to be brought to the gate.

4 - Once seated and as the other folks are boarding, pull one of the flight attendants to you and ask that, if possible, the pilot will confirm the scooter has been loaded before you leave the gate.

5 - Sometimes you actually see the pilots when you board since you'll be boarding early. If you can catch them (not in the cockpit of course,but it they are chatting with the flight attendants) ask the pilot directly to make sure the chair gets on the plane. Usually, they are the most understanding of all!

6 - Remind the attendant upon descent of the plane that you need to have your scooter brought up to the gate upon landing.

7 - As soon as reasonably possible, get to the front area of the plane as people are getting off the plane. Ask an attendant if the gate has been contacted. Get off the plane and stand right outside if possible (look fatigued) and keep asking about your chair if you feel at all uncomfortable that your chair isn't coming. Remember, this is your way of getting around, so take no chances!

Hope this helps,

Kimothee

Thanks for your hints, Kimothee.
We've traveled a lot with a manual wheelchair and would have many of the same hints. My addition is if you want to get to the front of the plane to make sure your scooter is there, make your way up to the front and plop down in one of the first class seats. Those passengers usually clear out prett quickly after the plane lands. Sitting there gives you a clear view of the gate area and also a place to sit where you will be close to the flight attendants.
Also, if you have a connecting flight, ask the gate agent whether you will have enough time for a gate delivery of your ecv. If you have a tight connection, there may not be enough time.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter