Experts weigh in please. Buying OKW Direct. Selling SSR

quandrea

DIS Veteran
I would appreciate if the experts could weigh in here. I have 200 SSR points bought in 2011 at $62 per point resale. I’d like to pick up 200 OKW direct for home resort advantage.

Got the call today for 49 points but I’m waffling.

I know we can sell for about $100. OKW are $155. I plan to rent the 2018 points so I’d generate $2900 for that (would rent AK points—higher price). Credit card gives us 2% cash back on the purchase.

Does this purchase make sense or am I crazy to consider it?

I would appreciate if the experts could weigh in here. I have 200 SSR points bought in 2011 at $62 per point resale. I’d like to pick up 200 OKW direct for home resort advantage.

I know we can sell for about $100. OKW are $155. I plan to rent the 2018 points so I’d generate $2900 for that (would rent AK points—higher price). Credit card gives us 2% cash back on the purchase.

Can you just add on enough to be direct buyer without selling SSR so you have more points or is that not a option?

I already am a direct buyer. Looking to get home resort advantage at OKW.
Then we don't understand why you want to buy OKW direct. (You already have the ability to take advantage of the Membership Extras). Resale would be much less expensive and still gives you home resort advantage for OKW..

Then we don't understand why you want to buy OKW direct. (You already have the ability to take advantage of the Membership Extras). Resale would be much less expensive and still gives you home resort advantage for OKW..
I like the extended contract for OKW. Not interested in a contract with a 2042 expiration.

You can still find extended contracts on the resale market. There are fewer of them, so more patience is required, but it's possible.

Other than fall are Gr Villas not available on a regular basis at 7 months? We never do more than a 2bd.
I’ve researched it. Sometimes tricky in June and January. Often missing days in a week at the seven month mark.

It sounds like a wash really, but have you factored in the broker’s commission?
Yes I have. Factoring that all in I still think it will cost me about $10 000. I get three more years of use though and I get what I want. There are two resale contracts that would make up my two hundred points. But different use Year from what I have now. That transaction would have me putting out about $5000 in the end.

Last edited:
Yes I have. Factoring that all in I still think it will cost me about $10 000. I get three more years of use though and I get what I want. There are two resale contracts that would make up my talk hundred points. But different use Year from what I have now. That transaction would have me putting out about $5000 in the end.
For me personally it would be a no. I would love to sell our 200 SSR & buy BRV for 11 month advantage (even with the shorter expiration). I love SSR, but XMas at the lodge...

I would do it, but I’d buy the BRV resale (way too much direct) & then I’d lose my only grandfathered points... So I can understand why you’d want direct. Can you do 75 direct & the rest resale?

You have given it lots of thought, and I think the GVs at OKW are a bargain point wise, and I think you should go with what you want, and enjoy!

I am not an expert. I wouldn't do it, but I am cheap.
I think I agree. Any way you slice it, it’s $10 000 out of pocket. My points, including my 200 SSR have been working for me just fine for eleven years. I can probably argue my way into a purchase, but in reality, I’m too cheap to go forward. I’ll take my chances at seven months. Thanks to all who weighed in.

I wouldn't, too costly for limited benefit. If I must have OKW 3 BR, I'd buy less and keep my SSR points or just make do with SSR. Have you had times when you were shut out when waitlisting in short segments?

I wouldn't, too costly for limited benefit. If I must have OKW 3 BR, I'd buy less and keep my SSR points or just make do with SSR. Have you had times when you were shut out when waitlisting in short segments?
Yes, shut out in late June. When you waitlist short segments, do they cancel the reservation you hold until the waitlist comes through? Thanks for chiming in Dean. I was hoping you would.

Yes, shut out in late June. When you waitlist short segments, do they cancel the reservation you hold until the waitlist comes through? Thanks for chiming in Dean. I was hoping you would.
For canceling it depends, there are ways to make sure they don't and ways to have them do so. I think you can work out a strategy that gives you success most every time if you play it right. Personally I don't want to own 2057 at OKW as I'm concerned about what will happen with/after the transition.

For canceling it depends, there are ways to make sure they don't and ways to have them do so. I think you can work out a strategy that gives you success most every time if you play it right. Personally I don't want to own 2057 at OKW as I'm concerned about what will happen with/after the transition.
Thanks @Dean. Perhaps you can pm me to teach me how to leverage the points so I don’t lose out. We have 660 AK and 200 SSR. This coming year I have several reservations to make. Just made AK for December/January (1 be). Looking for a GV at OKW for June (five nights). Will probably book the AK GV at 11m just in case. Six nights in October (Ak or OKW 1br). A few one night OKW stays in a studio. It will be a year of juggling points, borrowing, changing at the 7 m mark as far as I can see. Maybe I’m missing something.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter