Expired disability parking permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney's Fan

Mouseketeer
We will be traveling to Florida from Texas at the end of this month. My son's disability parking pass expired in May, but our governor has temporarily waived expiration of the expired placards until 60 days after the state of emergency is lifted. Will my Texas expired parking pass be valid in Florida at the parks (will not be going anywhere else where we'd need it), or will I be hassled or ticketed since it's expired? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Is the office that issues the placard open? While expired placards had the expiration waived, you should still be able to gett them (not from Texas).

I could use my expired license to fly, but could get an alcoholic beverage in Disney, because it wasn't valid. But I was able to get a new placard!

Thanks for your response. From what I can gather online, they are open for appointments only, but placards aren't listed as an option for an in person appointment. (Looks like property taxes and car titles only.)

If you can, i would email the TX AOT to ask. Explain you are concerned that out-of-state travel won’t recognize the waived expiration. That way you should have a written explanation to use as proof if you need to contest a violation. I doubt WDW checks expiration closely as you enter the parking lot, but the Sheriff’s department does (or did) patrol the lots and might ticket.

If you can, i would email the TX AOT to ask. Explain you are concerned that out-of-state travel won’t recognize the waived expiration. That way you should have a written explanation to use as proof if you need to contest a violation. I doubt WDW checks expiration closely as you enter the parking lot, but the Sheriff’s department does (or did) patrol the lots and might ticket.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that to be safe. I'd hate to get a ticket!

If you cant get a new placard you can ask to park in the courtesy lots at the parks. They are right next to the handicapped lots and are still fairly close. I forgot to bring my daughters placard one trip and when I explained to the attendants thats where they directed me to park

If you cant get a new placard you can ask to park in the courtesy lots at the parks. They are right next to the handicapped lots and are still fairly close. I forgot to bring my daughters placard one trip and when I explained to the attendants thats where they directed me to park
That is a great idea! We forgot one time and it was a difficult trip because of it. We also forgot our SunPass the same trip!o_O

Does your AAA office issue them? In CA, we can go to our local AAA office to get some of the DMV services done and one of them is the handicap placard. So much easier than the DMV.

We will be traveling to Florida from Texas at the end of this month. My son's disability parking pass expired in May, but our governor has temporarily waived expiration of the expired placards until 60 days after the state of emergency is lifted. Will my Texas expired parking pass be valid in Florida at the parks (will not be going anywhere else where we'd need it), or will I be hassled or ticketed since it's expired? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I'd be curious about this (it's an interesting question). In my case, though, I have valid disability placards, even though I live in Texas, because I didn't know about the waiver. But I waited until late August (my placards expired in August) to renew. When they called me about an issue, they mentioned "Your new placards won't arrive until mid-September but that's OK...." and that's when she told me about the governor's waiver.

Is the office that issues the placard open? While expired placards had the expiration waived, you should still be able to gett them (not from Texas).

I could use my expired license to fly, but could get an alcoholic beverage in Disney, because it wasn't valid. But I was able to get a new placard!

I think it's just typos, but could you clarify? What do you mean by "(not from Texas)" - they can't get them from Texas when they're in Texas? And then you state you could use your expired license to fly and get a drink at Disney, but it wasn't valid? I'm really confused, sorry!

Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that to be safe. I'd hate to get a ticket!

Or even worse, get towed. I think parking in an HC spot without a valid placard gets you towed?

What's a courtesy lot?

What's a courtesy lot?
[/QUOTE]
When we were there we forgot our placard. When i explained the situation to the attendant he said we could use the "courtesy lot". It was a lot immediately next to the handicapped lot. Still close up but the spots werent marked handicapped. After that first day each time we pulled in i simply explained to the attendant that we forgot our placard and asked to use the courtesy lot. They knew what i meant and didnt give me any trouble about using it

I've also heard it referred to as "medical" parking. No official tag needed, but it gets the vehicle parked close to the H/A lot or section.

Yes. If you ask for "medical parking", you'll be directed where to go. We used it last year as my wife needed a wheelchair for the trip. Except for MK, the parking spaces we were sent to were all very close, at the end of rows, and blocked off with cones. The CM at the entrance would tell us where to go, then another CM stationed at that location would let us through a blocked off lane and finally a third CM would move a cone and have us park in that space. Very simple. At MK (and once at Epcot) they let us into the HCA area, but had us park in any non-HC-marked space.

I was told by a CM at DHS, that "medical parking" is the term to use. All the parking crews will know what you need and will direct you accordingly for that particular park.

Steve

We dont have a TX place card anymore we now have Tx plates.. so when we went to Disney last year I took my old placecard I had... no one even looked at it that hard. The hotel glanced at it not to charge parking.. used it only at Disney to park in Handicap. We did not go anywhere else that we needed it. I had took a pic of our plates at home just in case but no one looked at them.

We dont have a TX place card anymore we now have Tx plates.. so when we went to Disney last year I took my old placecard I had... no one even looked at it that hard. The hotel glanced at it not to charge parking.. used it only at Disney to park in Handicap. We did not go anywhere else that we needed it. I had took a pic of our plates at home just in case but no one looked at them.

They don't give you a placard to go along with the plate in case you travel?

They don't give you a placard to go along with the plate in case you travel?
Maybe they are suppose to but when we got our plates we had the placecard we had had for over a year. I renew our plates online so I guess I dont think about it. I leave my son at home most of the time especially now days. So I dont need it.

Maybe they are suppose to but when we got our plates we had the placecard we had had for over a year. I renew our plates online so I guess I dont think about it. I leave my son at home most of the time especially now days. So I dont need it.

Who are the plates for? Now I'm confused, sorry!

Not all states automatically provide both placard and plates for the same user. If not, there should be ability to get a temporary placard for travel or use with a rental, either through your home state or destination. I believe it's a somewhat cumbersome process in FL, though, so not sure many do it. And in the current environment it may be challenging (at least in my state many DMV offices are not yet open for regular business and I don't know if such a request can be made online).

They are for my son.. it's all good

I'm probably hijacking this thread, but this is what doesn't make sense to me - why do cars get HC plates if the person who needs that access doesn't even drive? Doesn't it mean they get stuck having to be transported in only one car? Do they give you an option? I think cars that have been modified for an HC driver, or have a ramp/entry that needs special access should have HC plates. Everyone else, who doesn't need a special vehicle to get around, should have a hangtag. Then you aren't stuck to a certain vehicle. Doesn't that make more sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!