Explorers Hotel Review

uksaint

Mouseketeer
We just got back from the Explorers Hotel a couple of days ago and as promised I am posting my thoughts on our 4 night stay.

Location - about a mile from the the parks. Bus transfers ran about every 8-10 mins in the morning (0900-1030), every 5 mins half an hour either side of park closing, and every 15-20 mins at all other times. These timings are approximate based on our experience and vary slightly from the official timings. From the parks - the Explorers is the first stop so transfer time is about 5 mins. To the parks - Explorers picks up first, then has to visit the three other selected hotels giving a transfer time of about 15 mins. However, random busses in the morning went straight from the Explorer's to the park. We never had a problem getting on the first bus that arrived, and whilst they were usually busy, it was rarely uncomfortably cramped.

Check-in: Swift and well organised. Took about three minutes.

Room - we had a crew room for 6 with the additional bunk cabin. It was adequate. The beds were comfortable, with medium firm mattresses. All the bed linen was white including the duvet cover. (I suppose its easier for them just to bleach wash everything. We were missing the promised travel cot and coffee supplies, but we mentioned this at reception on our way to the parks, and they were in the room on our return. (BTW, the travel cot was supplied with linen so we needn't have bothered taking our own). The shower pressure is impressive, which was a very welcome surprise. English TV channels were BBC World, Boomerang (kids) and one other kids channel. There is also Pay TV, Nintendo, and Internet access if you want to spend your cash on these things. No AC, but the ceiling fan was useful on the hotter days and the room temperature was acceptable at all times. The daily maid service was efficient and non-intrusive.

Facilities - The kids/toddlers indoor play areas are handily located in the Traders Cafe/Bar Area so you can enjoy a beverage while the kids run around. At €6.50 a pint (sorry...half litre), you can't afford too many - although the Explorers Bar upstairs had a useful happy hour from 7.30 - 8.30pm each day with 2for1 on draught beers (1664, Fosters, Beamish?) and selected cocktails. We only ate the included continental breakfast, so cannot comment on the value of the €6 full english. However, the continental was fine - croissants (plain and choc), bread rolls, ham, cheese, yoghurts, cereals. We had no problem finding a table before 8.30am, but after that it got a bit busy. The swimming pool was divided roughly 70:30 with the 70 being about 4ft deep and the remaining toddler area about 2ft deep. The large green slide was out of commission, but a smaller yellow one was good fun, and more than adequate for the size of pool. Pool towels can be rented for €1 a time. They are fairly thin, but have reasonable absorbancy and did the job. Despite the abundance of lockers in the changing rooms, only about 20 of them seemed to have locks, and at busy times we had to leave our clothes behind the attendants desk. There is a video games room but we did not use this. Of the restaurants, the Plantation has a selection of 'food stations' offering a variety of choices - the cost €24 adults, €12 kids. We didn't eat there, but did not hear many favourable reports - in general, we we were hearing that the food was just OK, but it was too expensive for what was on offer. We did try the Pizza from the Traders CafeBar - €9.50 a shot - and it was pretty good.

Guest Services - There is a GS desk in reception. We found them very helpful in answering questions, and they are happy to arrange all sorts of things from tours to booking taxis etc. Importantly, they will answer your questions without trying to sell you anything.

Shop - Sells sweets, cold drinks, newspapers (including some English) and a variety of Disney souvenirs.

Getting out and about - to go anywhere you either have to arrange your own taxi or bus tour(guest services will help you with this)....or you take the shuttle service to the parks which drops off outside the train station. From the you can take the bus to Val D'Europe or the train to Val D'Europe, Paris and beyond. The train to Val D'Europe cost €1.45 and took about 3 mins. The bus cost €1.40 and took about 6 mins. Bus tickets you can buy from the machine in the train station - Train tickets you have to buy from the counter. A lesson we learned via trial and error. :rolleyes:

Check-out: just as swift as check-in. No problem.

Overall, we thought this hotel was good value for money and offered all the basics required for a DLP stay. If we could make an improvement - it would be great to have a small fridge in the room, but that aside everything else was pretty much as it should be, particularly if you have small kids.

HTH,
Andy

Great review Andy. Its always nice to hear good things about somewhere you are booked to stay!:goodvibes Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Hi Andy :)
Do you know if you can buy drinks in the upstairs bar (happy hour) and take them down to sit by the kiddies play area ?

Thanks for the great review.

Would it be helpful to have a sticky thread with links to any hotel reviews that get posted? I think the reviews are (and should be) different from the Hotel FAQs which we currently link together in a sticky. The FAQs are much more factual, whereas reviews are much more subjetive and personal. Anyway, what does everyone think - do we need a Review Index as a sticky thread?

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob
I think it would be a good idea. Also time of year and how busy the hotel is can have a bearing on the stay.

Reid

Rob - I think a sticky for hotel reviews would be a great idea - people are often asking for info on hotels. Although a lot of the answers can be found via the FAQs, it's sometimes nice to get an opinion from someone who has actually visited.

Rhiannon :wizard:

alexandra uk said:
Hi Andy :)
Do you know if you can buy drinks in the upstairs bar (happy hour) and take them down to sit by the kiddies play area ?

Don't see why not. We bought drinks and took them back to our room on one occasion.

rob@rar.org.uk said:
Would it be helpful to have a sticky thread with links to any hotel reviews that get posted? I think the reviews are (and should be) different from the Hotel FAQs which we currently link together in a sticky. The FAQs are much more factual, whereas reviews are much more subjetive and personal. Anyway, what does everyone think - do we need a Review Index as a sticky thread?

I was going to add this to the Trip Reports thread Rob but it may be better to have a separate sticky. I think it would be a shame for reviews to get "lost", definitely :)

rob@rar.org.uk said:
Thanks for the great review.

Regards

Rob

I think this is a great idea.:sunny:

Yes, a good idea - are you going to ask people to write hotel reviews as well as a trip report? I'm just wondering how it would work?

Not sure how it would work, but if people wanted to write a specific hotel review rather than a general trip report I think it would be a good idea to keep track of those posts in a sticky thread. Those people who are generous enough to write a trip report could post their hotel comments in one thread, and their general comments in another thread?

In order to keep the number of sticky threads to a minimum, perhaps a better idea would be to add the hotel review links to the current hotel Faq sticky rather than a new sticky thread?

Regards

Rob

rob@rar.org.uk said:
In order to keep the number of sticky threads to a minimum, perhaps a better idea would be to add the hotel review links to the current hotel Faq sticky rather than a new sticky thread?

I would prefer this Rob :)

I think this would be good too as not everyone has the time or inclination to write a Trip Report (I know when I did mine in January I lost any free time I ever had for a six week period, LOL), but I expect more people would be willing to share their thoughts on the hotel they'd stayed at?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter