Expo swag-Jan Marathon-what to buy?

Dawn71

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are running our first Disney race (other than the 5k on Castaway Cay) in January (my first marathon, his third) and we aren't arriving until Thursday. We have friends that will be there Wednesday to attend the expo and pickup packets, and they are willing to buy whatever swag we want on that day for us, as I hear things often sell out.

My question is: what, if anything, at the expo have you or will you purchase?

I rarely purchase anything at expos, occasionally headbands or fuel, but being a Disney fan and this being my first marathon I'm thinking there may be more. After our last Castaway Cay 5k last year, we did purchase car stickers and a tech shirt, plus some pins for our lanyards. I want to be prepared with gift cards and a list for our friends.

I hope this isn't a repeated question, I did search a couple different ways and cruised through some threads, but I didn't see an answer to my question.

Thanks!
Dawn

Other than select items like dopey jackets, race ornaments, and wine glasses I think you’ll be okay to get anything you want on Thursday when you get there. Not much else really sells out. This year maybe some 25th marathon stuff might sell out but they have gotten much better with stocking shelves.

Other than select items like dopey jackets, race ornaments, and wine glasses I think you’ll be okay to get anything you want on Thursday when you get there. Not much else really sells out. This year maybe some 25th marathon stuff might sell out but they have gotten much better with stocking shelves.

Thanks! Ironically I do want a wine glass and an ornament, so I will put those on my list.

Here's a blog post that has a preview of the merchandise for the 2017 Marathon Weekend, to give you an idea (keep in mind that this wasn't the full offering and that artwork will change): https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-for-2017-walt-disney-world-marathon-weekend/

Whatever you get, make sure your friends ask for any and all possible discounts at the register - if they are AP holders, DVC members or have a Disney Visa they should get at least a 10% discount.

You mentioned that you will have friends going to the Expo on Wednesday to pickup packets. According to the RunDisney site, you have to pick up your own packets and I can attest to this from running the Marathon this past January. You will also need to show ID when you pickup your packet. I am not sure when they started this but it has been the case for every run I have done at Disney.

I have gone to the Expo on the Friday of Challenge weekends (not the Marathon weekend) and still been able to get jackets and wine glasses. So, I think it is quite variable.

You mentioned that you will have friends going to the Expo on Wednesday to pickup packets. According to the RunDisney site, you have to pick up your own packets and I can attest to this from running the Marathon this past January. You will also need to show ID when you pickup your packet. I am not sure when they started this but it has been the case for every run I have done at Disney.

Of course! They aren't picking up my packets, just taking the opportunity to buy things for me in the store that might sell out. Few races allow pickup for other people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!