Extra costs on Royal Caribbean

abmdis

Earning My Ears
I have cruise on DCL before and know what to expect. Looking at taking a RCCL cruise. What extra costs should I factor in?

wi Fi, drinks, water, popcorn for the shows, pictures, ... the list is endless or so I hear of late.

Extra costs are, as always, optional. I usually break them down into two categories:

The Usual Suspects (things you've probably seen on DCL and that you'll see on most of the "family" cruise lines)
- Gratuities
- Porters/Baggage "Handlers" (you know, the guys that take your tips while someone else loads the bags onto a cart)
- Excursions
- Alcoholic Drinks (you can get drink packages for this)
- "Premium" coffee/espresso drinks (you can get non-alcoholic drink packages for this))
- Games Room
- Specialty dining (you can get dining packages for this)
- Popcorn/cotton candy
- Photo Packages
- wifi (per day charge)
- Spa services
- Time (if you go to one of those "shopping seminars" run by that "shopping expert" that always seems to steer you to Diamonds International)

The Not-So Usual Suspects
- Non-alcoholic drinks like soft drinks, bottled water and premium juices
- Hard ice cream (i.e. Ben and Jerry's)
- Shops on the Promenade
- Babysitting/Nursery
- After hours (10pm and beyond) child care
- Room service (excluding continental breakfast)
- If one person purchases the Ultimate drink package everyone over 21 must purchase one as well (although stories abound regarding purchasing a non-alcoholic package instead)
- Candy store (do not recommend allowing the kids into this one)
- Sanity (when watching the "feature performer")
- Laundry (there are no machines on board, but they do offer wash and press service for $$$)
- Art (if you go to one of their art auctions for the free booze and raise your hand at the wrong time...)

I think I covered most of the extra costs.

Extra costs are, as always, optional. I usually break them down into two categories:

The Usual Suspects (things you've probably seen on DCL and that you'll see on most of the "family" cruise lines)
- Gratuities
- Porters/Baggage "Handlers" (you know, the guys that take your tips while someone else loads the bags onto a cart)
- Excursions
- Alcoholic Drinks (you can get drink packages for this)
- "Premium" coffee/espresso drinks (you can get non-alcoholic drink packages for this))
- Games Room
- Specialty dining (you can get dining packages for this)
- Popcorn/cotton candy
- Photo Packages
- wifi (per day charge)
- Spa services
- Time (if you go to one of those "shopping seminars" run by that "shopping expert" that always seems to steer you to Diamonds International)

The Not-So Usual Suspects
- Non-alcoholic drinks like soft drinks, bottled water and premium juices
- Hard ice cream (i.e. Ben and Jerry's)
- Shops on the Promenade
- Babysitting/Nursery
- After hours (10pm and beyond) child care
- Room service (excluding continental breakfast)
- If one person purchases the Ultimate drink package everyone over 21 must purchase one as well (although stories abound regarding purchasing a non-alcoholic package instead)
- Candy store (do not recommend allowing the kids into this one)
- Sanity (when watching the "feature performer")
- Laundry (there are no machines on board, but they do offer wash and press service for $$$)
- Art (if you go to one of their art auctions for the free booze and raise your hand at the wrong time...)

I think I covered most of the extra costs.
Thank you! That was a huge help

I was just on Symphony and they had hard ice cream nightly in the back of Windjammer, usually 4 flavors, with assorted toppings available. No extra charge.
Denise

The ice cream available in the restaurants is free. But as I noted the ones like Ben and Jerry’s with their own standalone area would be for a fee.

Forgot to mention that Royal has a check out/check in policy with their towels and if you don't have a net of 0 towels by the end of the cruise you could be charged $25 per towel. There have been stories of people getting charged for towels when they've returned all the towels they've used so keep an eye on your shipboard charges there.

And if you do notice you're missing a towel... I'm not gonna say that you should liberate one from a chair hog and return it as one of your own. Nope. Not gonna suggest that at all.`

wi Fi, drinks, water, popcorn for the shows, pictures, ... the list is endless or so I hear of late.

So the same as DCL then....
But so much more included that isn't even an option on DCL: rock wall, flowrider, sky pad, laser tag, ice skating, aqua shows, ice shows, carousel,....the list is endless or so I hear of late....

Forgot to mention that Royal has a check out/check in policy with their towels and if you don't have a net of 0 towels by the end of the cruise you could be charged $25 per towel. There have been stories of people getting charged for towels when they've returned all the towels they've used so keep an eye on your shipboard charges there.

And if you do notice you're missing a towel... I'm not gonna say that you should liberate one from a chair hog and return it as one of your own. Nope. Not gonna suggest that at all.`

This is good to know. Is this made clear when you check in?

yes and no. there's a sign by the pool boy where he spends his day folding towels and checking them in and out. said sign may or may not be easily visible , seen or even out. it might be listed on the daily compass or in your welcome aboard paperwork but its not going to be mentioned at actual check in.

on SOME ships, the Solarium( adult only pool area) has towels already rolled up and on the loungers as well as piled in cubby holes. these tend to be different than the regular towels(different color ) and those are not monitored. then again, by day two they seem to have 'run out' as they are no longer available.

The towel thing.... are u saying we Must get and return a towel OR be charged $25, as rccl thinks one wasn’t returned??
Do people bring a “ fun”towel from home and use that instead?

The towel thing.... are u saying we Must get and return a towel OR be charged $25, as rccl thinks one wasn’t returned??
Do people bring a “ fun”towel from home and use that instead?

If you don't return a towel you MAY be charged $25. And no, most people dont bring their own towel, most people just return their towels.

They are selling something called The Key. When you embark, you bring your carry ons to a designated place, they will be delivered to your room. It also gets you reserved seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter