Extreme dietary restrictions - where to dine?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
A member of my party for a June 2019 trip has extreme dietary restrictions (his list of allowed anti-inflammatory foods is only like 15 items long). Would we be ok at a character dinner like Mickey's BBQ if we note his restrictions in the ADR comments? or best to skip those and go for places like The Wave that might be better equipped for specific requests?

TIA :)

A member of my party for a June 2019 trip has extreme dietary restrictions (his list of allowed anti-inflammatory foods is only like 15 items long). Would we be ok at a character dinner like Mickey's BBQ if we note his restrictions in the ADR comments? or best to skip those and go for places like The Wave that might be better equipped for specific requests?

TIA :)

No, I don't think ADR comments would cut it. The ADR comments just tells them to hand you an allergy menu when you get to the restaurant. They don't look at what you note. Heck the last trip, I emailed the allergy form to the special diets email & it felt like it didn't get passed on to any of our restaurants.

We have nightshade allergies so no potatoes, tomatoes or peppers.

Sit down menu restaurants will probably be better. You have to ask to talk to the chef at every restaurant. Some chefs are better at dealing with allergies than others. This will add much time to your ADR. Yachtsman steakhouse was great. So surprisingly was the chef at Crystal palace. Didn't feel confident about the Plaza. Didn't feel like the chef understood the allergy.

Last edited:
You need to scour restaurant menus. They are somewhere on this site and also at allears.net.
These are regular menus, not allergy menus. Even the allergy menus will be of limited help, because they only address a few top allergies, and not more than one allergy at a time, so basically no help at all to a person with a long list of allergies.

The previous poster is correct, you will need to speak to a chef at every restaurant. By the way, this can be done at counter service places too, and sometimes they can modify their dishes to meet your needs, but be prepared to wait an extra 10 or 15 minutes for your food.

And just know that WDW is one of the few places in the world where every restaurant is trained to take your allergies seriously. It's true that some chefs are better than others, but every one of them has procedures in place.

You may find more help on the disABILITIES Forum. Lots of folks with allergies post there

This is where I would send you as well. The folks who are on that forum are very knowledgeable and can provide suggestions for you.

The concern I would have in regards to buffet with someone whose restrictions are so tight is that there may be very little for your guest to eat. If you give the folks on the form some more detail they can give you more feedback in terms of which restaurants would have the most choices.

I've actually visited a buffet for dinner previously (boma)
And there was not a single item I could eat.

I have health Issues ; no specific allergies but governed by gastric issues and food taste/texture.

The chef at boma cooked me my own special dinner.
It was wonderful.

I feel some staff simply pay more attention & are more considerate than others.
Just as in life!

Ts restaurants are absolutely easier to be catered for.
Or blaze at ds-best cs by far for me!

50's pt,jiko and hoop dee doo outshine everywhere else imo.

I've actually visited a buffet for dinner previously (boma)
And there was not a single item I could eat.

I have health Issues ; no specific allergies but governed by gastric issues and food taste/texture.

The chef at boma cooked me my own special dinner.
It was wonderful.

I feel some staff simply pay more attention & are more considerate than others.
Just as in life!

Ts restaurants are absolutely easier to be catered for.
Or blaze at ds-best cs by far for me!

50's pt,jiko and hoop dee doo outshine everywhere else imo.

I am not sure that it is fair to indicate that staff is inconsiderate if they cannot accomodate specific ellergies or food intolerances. Much depends on the circumstances at the time, from staffing in the back of the house, ingredients available to use, a dedicated space and utensils in the kitchen, etc. Disney Chefs move Heaven and Earth to accomodate their guests so if they cannot, it is not because they are not courteous. There is a reason that is much more pressing than a Chef was too lackadaisical to step in and cook.

I did not state the staff were inconsiderate nor discourteous.
I simply found some to be more accommodating and personable.

I was in no way berating Disney staff.
If I were-I would have named and shamed those who caused discontent,

I have family members with food allergies and Disney is great! We pretty much eat all meals at TS and can even do buffets and dinner shows. The chefs we have encountered have been so wonderful and a lot of them have even come back later to make sure everything was ok and see if they needed anything else.

You can/should select multiple allergies when booking ADRs. You should also call and speak to someone in the special diets department to complete a form about 30 days before your trip. Even then, you should still always request to speak with a chef. Even at buffets!! The food they prepared for my son was fantastic - and safe!!
It’s very possible, and even enjoyable to dine with multiple restrictions in Disney.

Above all else- never let your friend get hangry!! Plan ahead and be patient, and it will definitely work out!!

A few of our best special diets experiences: ohana, Hollywood and vine, chef Mickey, crystal palace, hoop de doo, California Grill, Biergarten

Thank you all so much for this advice! I feel much more confident now (and glad we plan to book at Chef Mickey's!)

And just know that WDW is one of the few places in the world where every restaurant is trained to take your allergies seriously. It's true that some chefs are better than others, but every one of them has procedures in place.
In fairness, virtually nowhere else has close to 200 food service locations operated by/on a single property. There are entire states with food allergy legislation. https://www.foodallergy.org/educati...acy-priorities/food-allergies-and-restaurants
I did not state the staff were inconsiderate nor discourteous.
I simply found some to be more accommodating and personable.

I was in no way berating Disney staff.
If I were-I would have named and shamed those who caused discontent,
As Nancy explained, they are as accommodating as they can be, for whatever reason. A specific venue not being able to provide food for a very restricted diet because they don't have access to the slecific food, really is being unfairly considered, however indirectly.l

As for personable, maybe that's not exactly the right word? The best Chef in the world could be an introvert, or working with a barebones staff for that particular meal, or maybe even should but can't be out on FMLA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter