Face mask policy & children with autism

Nursejilly

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! It was great to hear that Disney plans to reopen in July. The restrictions they will implement weren’t a surprise at all. Our biggest question is whether or not there will be any exceptions to the face mask policy for ages 3 and up. My sister has 2 sons ages 10 & 12 who have autism and its doubtful they would be able to tolerate wearing a face mask all day at the parks. We’d hate to cancel our long awaited trip to Disney, but this may be a deal breaker for our family.

accommodations that would significantly reduce safety typically are not considered

Now if there was some other way to prevent droplet spread (at the same level or better) that would be tolerable to your nephews then that should be considered

I can not think of any that would meet that standard sorry

I totally understand. We've been planning our upcoming trip (3 months from today!) for 2.5 years now. But masks are one of our personal deal breakers, too. So we've made new back-up reservations for next year. What's another 8-9 months, right? ;) Waiting's a bummer, but we'd rather wait a bit longer for a better experience than go in 3 months for a lesser experience. No one wants to go to WDW to be unhappy. Hugs to all of you!

Yes, I have to agree & understand that they will likely make no exceptions to the face mask policy. I think that it will be a big issue for many families with younger children, special needs or not. Our trip is scheduled for November 2020, but may move to 2021 if face masks are still required. Time will tell! Stay safe everyone!

As a general rule, they are not required to exempt anyone from the same standards as everyone else due to the ‘common good’ principal.

and I for one hope they Do NOT allow any. If a person can not tolerate a mask for whatever reason( to include sheer bloody mindedness), they should not be allowed in the parks. And I also hope they rigorously enforce it while in the parks, to include being removed with no recourse if you refuse.

I would add that our ASD kids surprise us sometimes so let them know that it is a condition to go to WDW now and try different styles to see if they can tolerate them

While a little hotter a half height hood style might be the most tolerable since the do not pull on ears or have e focused elastic points across the back of the neck

I am torn....

Disney has always been incredible with providing an experience that our now 15 yo could handle being on the spectrum. They have done so much more than I could have ever asked to make his experience be comparable to his sisters who are not and we are so grateful. He is extremely heat sensitive and the DAS saves our trips- literally. He can do early morning and late evenings...middle of the day is out of the question.

But I don't think he could deal with the facemask. But....as much as DIsney does, I don't think this is an area where they can make exceptions. We cancelled our family trip this summer partly because I knew it would not have been an enjoyable experience for him.

On the flip side, he has been doing his service hours at a local karate camp and has worn a facemask with no complaint. But an air conditioned studio is much different than Florida heat.

I appreciate the feedback and honesty. We are going to get some of the cute face masks from Disney and have the boys try them out as the trip gets closer. Disney is such fun for them, they just might surprise us. We are DVC members, so we will just have to cancel in time to avoid losing our points. I hope everyone gets to enjoy Disney again soon!

I have 2 sons with autism, 14 and 16. My 14 year old CANNOT handle cloth facemasks. He had a massive meltdown on Monday after a Target run where he came with me. He was SO overwhelmed by sensory things on his face: the heat, sweat, damp hot feeling, and itchiness drove him mad.

Yesterday, I showed him a KN95 mask. He wore it for an hour and it was a totally different experience. No complaints.

I'd suggest getting LOTS of different mask types and trial them at home NOW to see how well the kids tolerate them.

We are DL locals and this son who had the hard time is DYING to get back to our regular park visits, but I already warned him that he would have to wear a mask.

However, I DID hear that Disney will make exceptions to the policy for people unable to wear a mask for a medical reason. So, there might be an out. I have heard there may be a wristband type indicator to give to those who can't wear masks who stop by Guest Relations and explain the situation, so that they won't be targeted by the "mask police" in the parks.

This is from MP's Twitter page today:
@MousePlanet
Disney said at the Orange County Task Force hearing that it is looking at establishing "Relaxation Zones" on and off property to give guests an opportunity to go "mask off" for a period of time.

If this report is accurate and the "Relaxation Zones" work out as planned, that could provide much needed help and relief for those who can manage to wear masks for only short periods. Knowing that there are areas nearby where you can go to be mask-free for even a few minutes can be a stress reliever. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. And hopefully, Disney will continue to come up with better ideas as they continue to work with guests once the parks reopen.

Citywalk at Universal is issuing a wristband if an individual cannot wear a mask for medical reasons. However, said person said the looks and comments they got from other guests forced to wear their masks was less than desirable. I haven't found a mask yet that I can tolerate for a long time, but I have several options on order. Our trip is not until October but our entire party 100% plans on wearing masks.

Hi, Nursejilly.

I hope someone can come up with an idea so that you can go. I have been reading so many others in the same situation.

There has got to be some inventor out there that come up with a solution for children.

Hi everyone! It was great to hear that Disney plans to reopen in July. The restrictions they will implement weren’t a surprise at all. Our biggest question is whether or not there will be any exceptions to the face mask policy for ages 3 and up. My sister has 2 sons ages 10 & 12 who have autism and its doubtful they would be able to tolerate wearing a face mask all day at the parks. We’d hate to cancel our long awaited trip to Disney, but this may be a deal breaker for our family.

Hi, gratefulfred.

I believe WDW said, for now, masks had to be tied or use ear attachments. But maybe things might change.

What about the full face shields instead of masks, has anyone heard anything about those ?

Last edited:
Hi, theluckyrabbit.

Thank you.

That would be a step in the right direction to help some guests.

This is from MP's Twitter page today:
@MousePlanet
Disney said at the Orange County Task Force hearing that it is looking at establishing "Relaxation Zones" on and off property to give guests an opportunity to go "mask off" for a period of time.

If this report is accurate and the "Relaxation Zones" work out as planned, that could provide much needed help and relief for those who can manage to wear masks for only short periods. Knowing that there are areas nearby where you can go to be mask-free for even a few minutes can be a stress reliever. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. And hopefully, Disney will continue to come up with better ideas as they continue to work with guests once the parks reopen.

Has anyone else heard that California may make it illegal to wear a mask that utilizes an exhalation value?

The TV News says this may spread to other states

It is still suggested for people in our city to wear masks in public. Our WDW trip is not until January, but I've had my ASD 16 yr old practice wearing them. He doesn't much care for them, but with coaxing can keep it on for 30 minutes at a time. I'm hoping by the time school starts and we start gearing up for Florida, the mask rule will either be relaxed, or he will be mask pro. I will also plan on knowing where each of those Mask-relief areas are at every park before we arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter