Face mask policy & children with autism

I think the PP has just gotten PC info from Universal, and not so PC info from Disney. I don't think dumping the burden of having to wear a mask on union workers really helpful.

I don't know why you would say that I was "dumping the burden onto the union", like I was disparaging it. It is a fact Disney has stated that one of the main requirements that the union had for the reopening is that everyone wear masks. I did not say it was good or bad, just that it is a fact.

Yep Disney really won’t be able to go against the union contracts and let people not wear masks. They would have tons of grievances by union members if people aren’t wearing them. I know I would cancel a trip if I had a small child or a family member going who could not tolerate masking in the parks. Luckily I have gotten over my claustrophobia from things touching my face for the most part (for masks anyway). I never thought that would happen. Wearing a mask briefly for procedures at work would leave me gasping for air. I am now used to it. Don’t like it but tolerate it.

Yep Disney really won’t be able to go against the union contracts and let people not wear masks. They would have tons of grievances by union members if people aren’t wearing them. I know I would cancel a trip if I had a small child or a family member going who could not tolerate masking in the parks. Luckily I have gotten over my claustrophobia from things touching my face for the most part (for masks anyway). I never thought that would happen. Wearing a mask briefly for procedures at work would leave me gasping for air. I am now used to it. Don’t like it but tolerate it.
Glad you worked it out. I never had issues until my breathing felt impaired... real or imagined. In the humidity and heat, with glasses is awful.

Universal is officially granting exemptions to their mask policy. Guest Services will give you a blue & white striped wristband if you qualify. BUT you must still wear a mask on the rides, no exceptions to that part. Unfortunately the main issue is that other guests are not reacting kindly to those who are exempt. Expect a lot of comments, not in a good way.

I still think Disney will not allow any exemptions at all due to the Union's contract that requires them of all guests.

Universal is officially granting exemptions to their mask policy. Guest Services will give you a blue & white striped wristband if you qualify. BUT you must still wear a mask on the rides, no exceptions to that part. Unfortunately the main issue is that other guests are not reacting kindly to those who are exempt. Expect a lot of comments, not in a good way.

I still think Disney will not allow any exemptions at all due to the Union's contract that requires them of all guests.
get the feeling that you must wear on rides was what I saw and it was the child not wearing who was refused

PC = politically correct. "Of course we will accommodate" is a politically correct thing to say on the phone when you are miles away from the park and the person calling. Why tell the person something they don't want to hear? You just get an angry customer and a follow up from a manager, right? Now, an email, that can be printed out and brought to the park (not that the park CMs have to honor it) but it gives the guest a bit of leverage if it supports the guest's POV.

I have 2 sons with autism, 14 and 16. My 14 year old CANNOT handle cloth facemasks. He had a massive meltdown on Monday after a Target run where he came with me. He was SO overwhelmed by sensory things on his face: the heat, sweat, damp hot feeling, and itchiness drove him mad.

Yesterday, I showed him a KN95 mask. He wore it for an hour and it was a totally different experience. No complaints.

I'd suggest getting LOTS of different mask types and trial them at home NOW to see how well the kids tolerate them.

We are DL locals and this son who had the hard time is DYING to get back to our regular park visits, but I already warned him that he would have to wear a mask.

However, I DID hear that Disney will make exceptions to the policy for people unable to wear a mask for a medical reason. So, there might be an out. I have heard there may be a wristband type indicator to give to those who can't wear masks who stop by Guest Relations and explain the situation, so that they won't be targeted by the "mask police" in the parks.

If someone doesn't wear a mask "for medical reasons", adult or child, they can still be spreading the virus to others and that would be highly unfair. I hope that Disney does not allow "exceptions". Keeping all people safe in the parks should be Disney's priority. If there are some who cannot wear a mask, they should wait until the mandatory mask guideline ends!

:stir: If there is little or no increases in the virus after all these protest I think the mask requirement won’t last long.

However, the riots are outside. Being inside keeps the virus in the air with no where to escape, unlike when you are outside! Alot of rides/food establishments etc. are indoors, masks are needed.

We’re straying into mask debate territory. Please keep it on topic - suggestions/alternatives for those who can’t or won’t wear a mask.

There is absolutely no way my child can/will wear a mask. He can’t even wear a hat.

We bought APs to get two trips in a year. I hope they will refund the remainder of our passes and not just the time that Disney is closed. I don’t blame them for requiring masks but they’ve made it so a portion of the population can no longer attend and it seems the right thing to do is refund the money paid since conditions have changed. I’ll be curious if anyone is able to get a refund because of these circumstances
Did you request your AP refund yet? Explain the difficulties you and your family will have because of the new requirements.

Small children are less likely to catch or transmit the virus compared to adults. I think Disney lowered the age to 2yro for masks. I’d pay for a virus/antibody test to wave the mask for my grandson. He loves Disney and Sesame Street.
It would be awesome if those who can show maybe a blood test from doctor showing immunity would be exempt.

As of now there is no tolerance. We are cancelling our trip as my son is on the spectrum and cannot tolerate a mask, we were hoping for more guidance on the resorts (do a resort only stay), but as of now it doesn't look any more lenient.

For him it's to the extent that If they require one for school in the fall he will be homeschooling for his senior year.

Hi everyone! It was great to hear that Disney plans to reopen in July. The restrictions they will implement weren’t a surprise at all. Our biggest question is whether or not there will be any exceptions to the face mask policy for ages 3 and up. My sister has 2 sons ages 10 & 12 who have autism and its doubtful they would be able to tolerate wearing a face mask all day at the parks. We’d hate to cancel our long awaited trip to Disney, but this may be a deal breaker for our family.

Hello my name is Brandon and I work at an ABA Clinic in MI, Something we do with are clients who do not enjoy doing something is tolerance training this can look different to different people but the idea is basically the same. First find a mask style that your kiddos like maybe it’s there favorite superhero or cartoon character. Next take it for a test run just see how long they can wear the mask without negative behaviors, then build tolerance you may start with the mask just in the room with them or actually on keep building Tolerance until they are comfortable with it. Use rewards when they do and remind them of the ultimate reward at the end good luck with your endeavors

I called in (sorry if this is old info) specifically about our tickets, which are for dates in September. The rep said that they would be changing tickets to other dates, shorter times, or different categories, putting them on hold, or refunding (customer's choice) up to the day before the date of the ticket. Right now no changes can be made because there aren't any tickets for sale. He suggested checking back after complete reopening on July 15 to see if anything was different, but also to wait as long as possible, because changes are expected to take place (of course it being uncharted territory) after opening.

I called in (sorry if this is old info) specifically about our tickets, which are for dates in September. The rep said that they would be changing tickets to other dates, shorter times, or different categories, putting them on hold, or refunding (customer's choice) up to the day before the date of the ticket. Right now no changes can be made because there aren't any tickets for sale. He suggested checking back after complete reopening on July 15 to see if anything was different, but also to wait as long as possible, because changes are expected to take place (of course it being uncharted territory) after opening.
That’s a LOT more options than I’ve heard anyone else was told. I’m not saying it’s incorrect, but I don’t necessarily trust what a phone CM says that hasn’t been officially announced by WDW. Situations are changing too quickly right now.

Generally date-based tickets bought separately have already been extended to 9/26/2021. Tickets bought with a package have not been extended, likely because either the tickets will be used as-is or the package will be canceled/rebooked. Some people have been able to get refunds.

PC = politically correct. "Of course we will accommodate" is a politically correct thing to say on the phone when you are miles away from the park and the person calling. Why tell the person something they don't want to hear? You just get an angry customer and a follow up from a manager, right? Now, an email, that can be printed out and brought to the park (not that the park CMs have to honor it) but it gives the guest a bit of leverage if it supports the guest's POV.

Universal never gave me that type of response nor did I report that they said “of course we’ll accommodate”. Other posters on these boards are also confirming and giving additional detail as to what Universals policy is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter