Face mask policy & children with autism

may I ask, is a theme park the only place you go and the only place you wear this scarf?

It is a mask, not a scarf (someone else mentioned using a scarf). Disney is the only place I have been, or will go, that I wear it as it is the only place I have been that has required it. The various orders throughout the country, including Orlando's, has exceptions and exclusions that do not require me to wear one. Other business establishments that I have been to where the politicians have put in such orders, have honored the exceptions. Disney does not, so I complied with a mask that met their requirements but also allowed me to breath. When I go back in a couple weeks, I will alter the mask so that it complies with their new 2 layer requirement, but will make sure I can still breath thru it. My home location does not have such a mandate, so very few people wear masks of any type.

From looking at posts on their requirements, Disney is not ok with a 1 layer, thin mask.

They were when we were there Tuesday. They also had several people in gaitors. They changed it to two layers and no gaitors yesterday. We were in compliance when we went, and will adjust accordingly to be in compliance when we return in a couple weeks. The point for the OP and any one else with medical reasons that they cannot wear a "typical" mask is that you can try various fabrics and make your own mask that satisfies their requirements that may be more breathable and wearable. Softer fabrics and those of lighter weight may help with sensory issues.

It is a mask, not a scarf (someone else mentioned using a scarf). Disney is the only place I have been, or will go, that I wear it as it is the only place I have been that has required it. The various orders throughout the country, including Orlando's, has exceptions and exclusions that do not require me to wear one. Other business establishments that I have been to where the politicians have put in such orders, have honored the exceptions. Disney does not, so I complied with a mask that met their requirements but also allowed me to breath. When I go back in a couple weeks, I will alter the mask so that it complies with their new 2 layer requirement, but will make sure I can still breath thru it. My home location does not have such a mandate, so very few people wear masks of any type.

Well, that explains the increase in COVID cases. Do people in your area just not get it?

And if you can't breathe in a mask, I pray you don't get COVID, as you'll die from it. Stay safe, and good luck!

Dr. Ashton (ABC's official television physician) has said it you can breathe without supplemental oxygen, you can breathe in a mask.

My own experience is that initially I couldn't. I would be gasping for air just walking across the hall to the elevator. I have several workarounds, none of which involve a too-thing single layer scarf.
  • Disposable masks are easier to breathe in.
  • I have turned gaiter into two layer (plus gathered folds) masks using elastic, with the added bonus of extra breathing room.
  • I have turned bandanna into twelve layer masks (hard to breathe, especially with a filter, but a mask).
  • Been to the doctor and now have and carry Flovent.
  • Face shields.
  • Small fan on a cord around my neck, blowing at my face.

They were when we were there Tuesday. They also had several people in gaitors. They changed it to two layers and no gaitors yesterday. We were in compliance when we went, and will adjust accordingly to be in compliance when we return in a couple weeks. The point for the OP and any one else with medical reasons that they cannot wear a "typical" mask is that you can try various fabrics and make your own mask that satisfies their requirements that may be more breathable and wearable. Softer fabrics and those of lighter weight may help with sensory issues.

Even before Tuesday it was known that a thin 1 layer mask did nothing with regards to curtailing the spread of Covid. That was the point.

Definitely keep trying until you find a mask that works. Keeping in mind the main goal is to limit the spread of the virus. If a mask is so thin it doesn't do that, then what's the point of wearing it?

I really hope they include gaiters in this mask policy. It has been the only mask we have been able to get my 11 year old to wear. They seem more secure than most cloth masks I've seen.
I've read a lot of articles that discuss the efficacy of different mask designs. All of them state that a two layer cloth mask is the safest nonmedical mask design.
I'm in a similar situation- we have to duct tape my kid's coat sleeves closed in the winter to avoid frostbite. (Shes 7 and severely autistic). I think Disney is going to work with families like ours We have Sept booked and I'm not going to worry yet :).
Someone a few posts back wrote about being autistic themselves and knowing its possible to teach a person with autism to wear a mask. I want to ask that all remember, some people with autism have no grasp of time or place, little understanding of consequence, don't eat or drink, use diapers forever and are generally far, far less functional than many others with autism. It really is a broad spectrum.
I totally agree. My son is at the very high functioning end of the spectrum and I'd never presume to give advice to or speak for someone caring for someone at the other end of the spectrum. Here's an analogy I've used frequently. I am nearsighted and have astigmatism. A person who is blind and I both have vision problems. Even though we both have vision problems, there is no way I could understand the challenges a blind person deals with on a daily basis just because I have to wear glasses to see well.

My wife works for a cancer treatment center. One of the patients used a 3d printer to make flat plastic bands with spaced notches on it and gave them out to all of the nurses. They use them with the ear loop masks to keep the mask secured around the head without pulling on their ears.

My wife works for a cancer treatment center. One of the patients used a 3d printer to make flat plastic bands with spaced notches on it and gave them out to all of the nurses. They use them with the ear loop masks to keep the mask secured around the head without pulling on their ears.
my sister in law made cloth bands with buttons that keep the ear loops off your ears sounds like they work the same

The silicone straps didn’t work well for my friends/family. Had a tendency to just ‘snap off’ during the course of an active day.

Face shields
My understanding is that WDW doesn’t consider the clear face shields, by themselves, sufficient to enter their parks. Disappointing, as many experts are recommending them. Especially, for those with medical breathing issues wherein cloth masks are causing them issues.

https://triblive.com/local/regional/for-those-who-dont-want-to-mask-up-try-a-face-shield/

Yeah, I tried pulling a gaiter up over the bottom of the shield, but the shield isn't thick enough to hold up to the pressure.

may I ask, is a theme park the only place you go and the only place you wear this scarf?
I was the one who mentioned a scarf, but I have folded it into 3 or 4 layers. I have not been to a theme park, just local doing errands, so probably 2 hours max.

I have updated the RE-OPENING thread with information about the "Relaxation Station" locations in each park. These are places where folks are allowed to remove masks. All have seating, though some have only partial seating. Most are outdoors, with some shade, a few are indoors. CMs are posted at the entrances, and while no time limits are posted it may be a 30 minute limit if busy.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/re-opening-mk-and-ak-now-open.3802859/

I understand the policy now says masks that tie or loop behind the ears Are required. No mention of face shields, but did rule out bandanas and “gaiters”. Not sure I understand the reasoning on gaiters. Since They extend under the chin, would seem to be as effective as masks. Also disappointed because I had just ordered some made from the material used for cooling towels. Thought they would help on hotter days.

Gaiter maybe because they're mostly worn as a single layer? Before I restyled how I wear gaiters, I was folding one end into the other and wearing the tube shorter but doubled.
  • Turn the gaiter inside out.
  • Good Fold one end back over the other so you have a double thick tube half as long.
  • Take two very short pieces of elastic*, maybe four inches.
  • Thread each piece separately through the tube.
  • Knot each elastic to itself (since the elastic is much shorter than the tube, this will automatically create gathers).
  • Loop one elastic one each ear.
  • Adjust mask gathers as necessary.
*might be able to use rubber bands, I haven't tried yet: take two #18 (3.5x1/8), loop through gaiter, double elastics, slip one over each ear.

Last edited:
There’s been quite a discussion about gaiters. They seemed to be allowed, even when the rules specified “ear loops or ties” since DS opened and even on the early CM preview days. It’s disappointing they haven’t been consistent on that from the start because many people followed those early reports and bought gaiters. My best guesses as to reasoning for the restriction is 1) most are single-layer, 2) folks wet them for cooling, and/or 3) some stay up better than others.

not Disney but there has been a major backlash to Hershey Park for refusing to admit a disabled child without a mask after mother complained. been a major story on our local news not sure if it made national news. funny thing one station even ran a story on WDW reopening which even mentioned everyone even handicapped needing masks right after the Hershey story

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter